Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to Grenoble - any advice?

Moving to Grenoble - any advice?

Old May 8th 2005, 9:37 am
Just Joined

andybryant is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Grenoble - any advice?

Hi,

I'm looking at a job opportunity for a multi-national company in Grenoble. This would require moving to Grenoble, although as the office/business language is English I think I'll be ok with my GSCE French for a while. I'll plan to give learning conversational French a try once I'm there.

I understand that Grenoble is a pretty multi-national place, with approx 25% non-French residents.

Is there anyone on this board that has made the move from UK or US to Grenoble? Is there a thriving expat community?

Any thoughts on the nightlife?

What's the climate like? I know that it is a good location for winter sports (of which I've never tried - apart from skating, and fell over lots), and for hiking in the summer.

In terms of accomodation I'm thinking of renting out my house in the UK, and renting an apartment somewhere downtown once I get there. This should ensure I don't fall too far off the property ladder in the UK, and can return in a couple of years.

Comments?

Andy.
Old May 8th 2005, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Grenoble - any advice?

Originally Posted by andybryant
Hi,

I'm looking at a job opportunity for a multi-national company in Grenoble. This would require moving to Grenoble, although as the office/business language is English I think I'll be ok with my GSCE French for a while. I'll plan to give learning conversational French a try once I'm there.

I understand that Grenoble is a pretty multi-national place, with approx 25% non-French residents.

Is there anyone on this board that has made the move from UK or US to Grenoble? Is there a thriving expat community?

Any thoughts on the nightlife?

What's the climate like? I know that it is a good location for winter sports (of which I've never tried - apart from skating, and fell over lots), and for hiking in the summer.

In terms of accomodation I'm thinking of renting out my house in the UK, and renting an apartment somewhere downtown once I get there. This should ensure I don't fall too far off the property ladder in the UK, and can return in a couple of years.

Comments?

Andy.

been there, its cold in winter .... very! yes is the french silicone valley and thus prosperous, and thus its also very expensive to live there

gcse french?? please i heard Nigela Lawson on french TV tonight and she was shat!!!! her spoken french was like mine when i arrived here!!! i had not even a cse ! even the presenter asked in english "we can talk in english if you want" LOL oh the pain.

But you have to try and without realising you pick up more than you credit yourself with. A large non speaking french area wont help you, trust me they'll want to speak english, you end up helping them with their english.
Old May 8th 2005, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bourgogne
been there, its cold in winter .... very!
Cold eh? I'm used to Silicon Valley North in the winter (Ottawa, Canada). Now that's cold!

yes is the french silicone valley and thus prosperous, and thus its also very expensive to live there
Interesting comment. I live in the UK at the moment, which is supposed to be very expensive. Do you know of any good websites advertising rental accomodation? Say I was looking for a nice 1-bed apartment somewhere downtown (but not too near the students!) - how much would it cost?

Cheers, Andy.
Old May 10th 2005, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Cold eh? I'm used to Silicon Valley North in the winter (Ottawa, Canada). Now that's cold!

Interesting comment. I live in the UK at the moment, which is supposed to be very expensive. Do you know of any good websites advertising rental accomodation? Say I was looking for a nice 1-bed apartment somewhere downtown (but not too near the students!) - how much would it cost?

Cheers, Andy.

ok i'll sift through the links i keep saving but forget why and see what i can find.

'downtown' we do not do that here or the UK ))))))) Only brit that did was pertula clarke and she lives in france now. sorry was a song btw.

before i trawl the dregs of my PC i am guessing about 600€ a month, but i 'll try to find you some linx
Old May 11th 2005, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

if you use the link to Genoble city you should find what sector is what and try then www.mappy.com to pull off a map.

http://www.fnaim.com

http://www.immonot.com/

http://www.grenoble.fr/jsp/site/Portal.jsp

using 'fnaim' here is a typical apartment;

http://www.fnaim.com/recherche/resul...=0&transac=202

depends what you want to spend? I'd say that France is fast catching up on the UK as far as prices are concerned. Rental in france as you know is popular and expensive.
Old May 12th 2005, 9:56 am
tweetypie

Hi There!

We're looking to rent initially when me move to France and I've found a pretty good website that covers the entire country, you might have some luck with it

www.seloger.fr

There is an English link that seems to be updated pretty much every day, hope it's of use.

Old May 13th 2005, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out when I'm more awake tomorrow.

I just got back from the interview, earlier today...

One thing that did strike me as strange was the complete lack of convertibles or roadsters. I didn't see a single one. Just lots of french super-minis, and a few really beaten up Rovers.

Any ideas why?

A.
Old May 15th 2005, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

One thing that did strike me as strange was the complete lack of convertibles or roadsters. I didn't see a single one. Just lots of french super-minis, and a few really beaten up Rovers.

Any ideas why?

A.
yes the french dont like flies blown in their face at high speed

and they are crap!

no to put it simple, the french dont spend money often so it dont last they dont buy it. a convertable has little use and is also heavier and uses more fuel. that sort of car is aimed at the UK market where the "chavs" seems to think they made it if they got one!

the rovers will die out soon as there is no way to get them serviced.

suped up little cars LOL i made an american vomit once the speed he could not handle in such a small car LOLOLOL

ps dont buy VW or french, and NEVER ford! french hate them coz they are crap, as are BMW

fiat are better.
Old May 20th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Fiats are better? Ha ha

Renault and Peuguot make fantastic cars.

yes the french dont like flies blown in their face at high speed

and they are crap!

no to put it simple, the french dont spend money often so it dont last they dont buy it. a convertable has little use and is also heavier and uses more fuel. that sort of car is aimed at the UK market where the "chavs" seems to think they made it if they got one!

the rovers will die out soon as there is no way to get them serviced.

suped up little cars LOL i made an american vomit once the speed he could not handle in such a small car LOLOLOL

ps dont buy VW or french, and NEVER ford! french hate them coz they are crap, as are BMW

fiat are better.
Old May 20th 2005, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Any ideas why?

A.
No point in getting a nice car - it'll get bashed in. The French aren't a very car proud nation and not bothered by the 'odd dent'.
Old May 20th 2005, 7:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas why?

A.
No 2CVs ?
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
No 2CVs ?
Nope. Didn't see any 2CVs!
Old May 30th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nope. Didn't see any 2CVs!
yeah shame but they are collectors cars now

a few about ..... seen on sundays

no one really understood the high revving 2cl engine? REV the crud out of it at all times even at a stand and AWAY!! memories of leaving Jags and BMWs with a fight to keep up on the north circular in london LOLOL she shot off .... lost it obviously on a long run but humiliated all that thought it was a snail. Also the same on the M1 with a really old rear engine skoda 1.2... heavy and noisy but from 60-80 nothing could match it no ford nor sports stuff, for some odd reason at that speed it took off................. if you could handle the noise??? the other rear engine 'Rapid' was good for 110mph and 125mph when i pushed it. I love trashy cars they are too much fun

Now the old renault 4 is more obvious and still a lot about. HOWEVER that dreaded effing 600cc diesel non permit thing made of plastic that does 50kph tops is the worst! they are everywhere and so slow people tend to just push them off the road! In france they call them lorry suppositories.

however as someone posted ......... dont have pride in your cars here, it'll get bashed about, i got scuffs and dents and none was me
Old Jun 24th 2005, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Just thought I'd post that I got the job, and will be moving to Grenoble next week.

See ya around...

Andy.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 7:32 am
tweetypie

Just thought I'd post that I got the job, and will be moving to Grenoble next week.

See ya around...

Andy.
Well done Andy!!

Hope the move goes well!!