Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to france with young kids

Moving to france with young kids

Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to france with young kids

Originally Posted by macadalmo

Also a really tiny school (less than 100) seems too small to me and potentially more difficult for my kids to settle in if in that small mix of children there isn't 'their tribe'. Is my hunch on that similar to anyone's experience?

And one more question! How strict are French schools on attendance?

Are we causing problems if we take the kids out of school for the occasional few days to travel around Europe?

Is that not tolerated or would we be given a little slack given we're Aussies here to experience all France has to offer in just 12 months?

Again- so grateful for anyone's help here.
Hi, our village Maternelle/Primaire had about 100 pupils when my girls were there, distributed in 4 classes, They settled in well, after the initial "culture shock" when they had to show their rural classmates that they weren't Parisian snobs.
As for attendance, non-health-related absences were highly frowned upon and parents had to give a very good reason why time off school couldn't be taken during the holidays. A distant family wedding, for example, but certainly not a trip at the parents' whim. The Directeur decided, not the individual teacher. If you're only there for a year, they might make an exception for you....
Old Jun 29th 2017, 2:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I have mixed feelings about tiny schools. My kids didn't go to such small schools but I have friends whose children did. You can't assume that class size will be small since the Education National will do their best to ensure the legal max number of kids per teacher. A couple of friends had to fight every year to get an extra teacher because they said it was impossible for 1 teacher to teach a 4 year age range for example. If the local kids are bright with parents engaged in the education then it can be a really good thing to have a range of ages in the class conversely a nightmare if not.
Even in our larger school (100 kids), it was normal for there to be 2 years in one class. They tried to put the cleverer younger kids in with the older age group so they picked up a fair bit extra.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:58 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I have mixed feelings about tiny schools. My kids didn't go to such small schools but I have friends whose children did. You can't assume that class size will be small since the Education National will do their best to ensure the legal max number of kids per teacher. A couple of friends had to fight every year to get an extra teacher because they said it was impossible for 1 teacher to teach a 4 year age range for example. If the local kids are bright with parents engaged in the education then it can be a really good thing to have a range of ages in the class conversely a nightmare if not.
Even in our larger school (100 kids), it was normal for there to be 2 years in one class. They tried to put the cleverer younger kids in with the older age group so they picked up a fair bit extra.
Most of them are being closed slowly and amalgamated with bigger village schools. Here 7 villages have lost schools in the last 4 years and normally after the school goes so does the Mairie.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Our school had one teacher for the 3 Maternelle years, one teacher (the Directeur) for CP, one teacher for the two CEs and one teacher for the two CMs. There was always an average of 100 pupils, but the numbers in each class varied each year depending on new arrivals, how many stayed down a year, etc... but they were never overcrowded.
I used to be an "intervenante" in English for the handful of CM2 pupils in a very small rural school nearby. The whole school (about 30) was crammed in one classroom in the Mairie, with one teacher. How she managed to cope with teaching pupils ranging from Maternelle to CM2 is still a mystery to me....