Reload this Page >

Moving to france with young kids

Moving to france with young kids

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

macadalmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to france with young kids

Hi All,

I'm seeking information and tips on moving to France with a 6 and 8 year old. Planning a one year stay from November this year.

Need advice about enrolling our kids in school. Thinking state school. Do you know of the English 31 program offered in schools around Toulouse area? and the Lucie Aubrac ecole primaire near Toulouse? And does anyone know how to you find out about a school catchment area?

We are an Aussie Family (if that makes a difference!).

I'd particularly love to hear from expat families with any tips on settling in a and suggestions about french primary schools.

Many thank sin advance.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to france with young kids

Originally Posted by macadalmo
Hi All,

I'm seeking information and tips on moving to France with a 6 and 8 year old. Planning a one year stay from November this year.

Need advice about enrolling our kids in school. Thinking state school. Do you know of the English 31 program offered in schools around Toulouse area? and the Lucie Aubrac ecole primaire near Toulouse? And does anyone know how to you find out about a school catchment area?

We are an Aussie Family (if that makes a difference!).

I'd particularly love to hear from expat families with any tips on settling in a and suggestions about french primary schools.

Many thank sin advance.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
There are several people in the Toulouse area who can advise about specifics, but, in general, if you want a State Primary, it's the Mairie of your Commune which allocates the one nearest your domicile. To enrol them at the Mairie, you must provide all your IDs, show proof of domicile (rental receipts, utility bills, ...) and provide their Vaccination Books. The new Minister for Health is proposing to add several vaccinations to the present compulsory ones (DTP). Your children are young enough to pick up French easily during your stay and not have their future education disturbed after you leave.
If you haven't got UK (or other EU) Passports, then presumably you're organising Visas? And, unless (and until) one of you is working and paying into the French Social Security System, you must take out private healthcare insurance until you are. Apologies if you already know!
Hope this general info is of help!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lovely idea! And great that you are doing it at this age as well.

I knew the English 31 program very well - It is fantastic and an absolute bargain for what you get. I don't know the Lucie Aubrac school since we lived further out and my kids went to the village school.

In France, everything stems from the mairie of your town/village. So if you want to know about catchment areas then that's where you go. If you want to know about school registration, then that's where you go.

If you want to find out more about English 31 then call the secretary of the programme - look on the website.

There's a lively FB group for the area where lots of local anglophone mums will be able to give you all the answers you need. https://www.facebook.com/groups/247856731993140/
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both dmu and petitefrancaise for your speedy and helpful responses.

Petitefrancais, did your children travel to where the English 31 was offered or was it done at your local village school? Could you share the name of the school assuming you'd recommend it and nice villages nearby? I imagine a village gives a more traditional and rural french experience which sounds perfect to me!

And tell me, how cold are the winters really (coming from an Aussie!) and is the lifestyle there to duck down to the Pyrennees to ski?

Any pros and cons of the area that you can share would be so appreciated.

Many thanks again
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

English31 is aimed at Bilingual kids - they will have classes in French and are expected to be able to keep up.

English 31 is only offered in the schools mentioned - not in any of the other schools.
You have 2 options -
1. to enroll the children in the Lucie Aubrac school full time and also in the english31 programme at the school. Provided there are spaces. Ask english 31 directly. I think you can live out of area if need be and ask for a "derogation" from the mairie for your child to go there instead of the school for where you live. Traffic getting to that area is horrendous so personally I would not choose this option
2. to attend the wednesday afternoon sessions only and enroll your kids in the local school. No regular school wednesday afternoons so that is not an issue.

lots of information here: https://www.english31.org/portfolio_...-lucie-aubrac/

I did not send my kids to this primaire level. Wednesday afternoons is when french school kids get to do their sports so instead I hired an amazing English woman to be my kids' english teacher and they had 1:1 lessons for years. My eldest joined at Lycee level and my youngest passed the entrance test for college level but we left for the USA at this point.

However, I'm questioning whether English 31 is really something you will need for your kids for a year. It's really set up for anglophone families who live long term in France but want their kids to have a level of English suitable for them to go to university in the UK for example, or kids who may have to move back to their english speaking country after a few years and need to have the same level of english as their future classmates.

If you put your kids into french school, they will struggle at first but will get there and at the end of the year, their french will be really good. I think for your 8 year old you may have to regard it as a "lost" year because they will be spending their time coping with the language and maybe not learning so much. A year isn't long enough for their level of english reading and writing to deteriorate enough to present a problem returning to Australia or wherever.

Your 6 year old - may not even "lose" a year since french kids start school in the year they turn 6 and this child may well be just going over stuff they have already learned plus some extra stuff. This was the case for my eldest and it was a godsend.

There is a programme for non-french speaking kids - they get extra help with french but are taught in french. I can't remember what it is now called - they changed the name but ask on that fb group.

I would not recommend where we lived. We chose our village and went all in for living in France. When my kids started school there, we were the only english speakers in the place which made it hard going for all kinds of reasons but mostly because I've now realised you really need to be around people that you have something in common with. A small village in SW France where people had generally never been out of France didn't provide that. The local primary schools whilst excellent academically, had rather backward teaching methods which were downright cruel and illegal but which I found impossible to do anything about.

In your situation - I'd look at places like Tournefeuille, Colomiers, Fonsorbes, Fontenilles, Leguevin Isle Jourdain and most of the villages along the Save valley. They are full of long term anglophone families and you'll find people like you there. The schools are used to coping with incoming kids that don't speak french.

The only school that will educate your kids in English only is IST.... an airbus school basically - it costs lots of money if airbus isn't paying and your kids will never learn french...
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:43 pm
Austin. TX.

Winters!

Yes, they get coldish winters - maybe an inch or so of snow in the Toulouse area once or twice a year. It has been known to be really, really cold in the odd winter. -17C-20C one winter which killed my hedgeplants! The pool would have ice on it overnight now and again too.

Skiing!!! Yes, Some lovely resorts in the Pyrenees which are anything from 1.5 to 3 hours away. Our family favourite was Ax les Thermes which was about 2hours max away. Baqueira-Beret in Spain was my personal favourite though. 2.5 hours away and stunningly beautiful but a bit more expensive than the french resorts.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:11 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Winters!

Yes, they get coldish winters - maybe an inch or so of snow in the Toulouse area once or twice a year. It has been known to be really, really cold in the odd winter. -17C-20C one winter which killed my hedgeplants! The pool would have ice on it overnight now and again too.

Skiing!!! Yes, Some lovely resorts in the Pyrenees which are anything from 1.5 to 3 hours away. Our family favourite was Ax les Thermes which was about 2hours max away. Baqueira-Beret in Spain was my personal favourite though. 2.5 hours away and stunningly beautiful but a bit more expensive than the french resorts.
Not to mention Guzet Neige deeper into Ariege and closer to Saint Girons, Ax les Thermes should be a lot nicer now they have finished the bypass, although that could cause it to recede into obscurity.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:32 pm
Austin. TX.

We went to Guzet at first but the lifts were old and knackered and that journey up to the station used to make us all horribly car sick.

I remember that we booked into a local hotel de france one year for saturday night so that we could get 2 days of skiing in. It was awful. We arrived after dark, they hadn't turned the heating on in the room, my 5 yr old son sat on the twin bed and the leg broke. We went in search of staff and couldn't find anyone and there was nowhere to eat in the hotel or the village. We just drove home. Upon arriving at home, we realised we'd left the kids' ski suits hung up to dry in the bathroom so we went back the following morning where the old guy hadn't realised we hadn't stayed, didn't bat an eyelid when we said we wouldn't pay because of all the problems . Village was actually pretty though!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 5:10 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
We went to Guzet at first but the lifts were old and knackered and that journey up to the station used to make us all horribly car sick.

I remember that we booked into a local hotel de france one year for saturday night so that we could get 2 days of skiing in. It was awful. We arrived after dark, they hadn't turned the heating on in the room, my 5 yr old son sat on the twin bed and the leg broke. We went in search of staff and couldn't find anyone and there was nowhere to eat in the hotel or the village. We just drove home. Upon arriving at home, we realised we'd left the kids' ski suits hung up to dry in the bathroom so we went back the following morning where the old guy hadn't realised we hadn't stayed, didn't bat an eyelid when we said we wouldn't pay because of all the problems . Village was actually pretty though!

The Château de Beauregard in Saint Girons is probably the nicest hotel you will find around there and there are plenty Gites and Chamber d'hote's so self catering options are a plenty.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. Succh a great forum.

Petitefrancaise, I will definitely follow up on your suggestions.

Any tips, anyone, on settling young kids into the french culture and language. What worked well and anything you'd do differently, second time around? Our french is limited but keen to have a go. Hoping there will be some french classes I can take?

Also, anyone had experience with renting a house in France?

Seems most rentals are for vacant properties. Ideally we'd love to get move into a fully furnished place.

Considering long term airbnb for Nov-June then taking off for the summer school holidays.

What have your experience been like, anyone?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:40 pm
Austin. TX.

Definitely take lessons both before you arrive and for you, whilst you are there. Ask at the mairie for anyone who might be able to teach you.

You almost definitely won't find a rental house that is furnished due to the rental laws. Maybe a gite? Look on gite de france and then ask about renting during the off season. Negotiate really hard on the price.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 6:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Succh a great forum.

Petitefrancaise, I will definitely follow up on your suggestions.

Any tips, anyone, on settling young kids into the french culture and language. What worked well and anything you'd do differently, second time around? Our french is limited but keen to have a go. Hoping there will be some french classes I can take?

Also, anyone had experience with renting a house in France?

Seems most rentals are for vacant properties. Ideally we'd love to get move into a fully furnished place.

Considering long term airbnb for Nov-June then taking off for the summer school holidays.

What have your experience been like, anyone?
A good way for kids to integrate is for them to do Wednesday afternoon and Saturday activities (sports, arts & crafts, music....). The Mairie will give you a list of Clubs and Associations.
Once they start making friends at school, you can throw a little party and your children will be invited back to birthday parties and other social occasions!
P.S. Agree with pf, your best bet would be to rent a furnished gîte.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Fabulous advice everyone. I'm loving this forum. Thank you. Gite de France is a great website and having a kids party and getting into sports is great practical advice. Thanks.

I've heard French bureaucracy can be bad. Does anyone know how long it takes from the first meeting at the Marie to the kids being able to start school?

And getting around with a young family... has anyone bought a car in France? I'm assuming its best to have one for family getaways and daily commutes etc.

But what should we do or avoid doing when buying a car in France? Thinking of a volkswagon transporter. Anyone have an experience with purchasing a car in France?

We've lived in the UK before and it was super easy to buy and sell a car in the 12 months that we we're there.

In Australia you'd buy from the car owner directly (which is cheaper) or a car dealer.

Is it different in France?
Old Jun 24th 2017, 9:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fabulous advice everyone. I'm loving this forum. Thank you. Gite de France is a great website and having a kids party and getting into sports is great practical advice. Thanks.

I've heard French bureaucracy can be bad. Does anyone know how long it takes from the first meeting at the Marie to the kids being able to start school?

And getting around with a young family... has anyone bought a car in France? I'm assuming its best to have one for family getaways and daily commutes etc.

But what should we do or avoid doing when buying a car in France? Thinking of a volkswagon transporter. Anyone have an experience with purchasing a car in France?

We've lived in the UK before and it was super easy to buy and sell a car in the 12 months that we we're there.

In Australia you'd buy from the car owner directly (which is cheaper) or a car dealer.

Is it different in France?

Can't help on the car-buying front, but I imagine kids can start Primary school straight after enrolling them. French people move within France any time during the year... Btw, I haven't got the dates to hand, but the 2-week half term is always at the beginning of November.
They start learning to read and write (in a very flowery way!) at 6 years old - your younger child will have a head-start and can concentrate on learning French while the others are learning their letters! The French have different methods for doing sums, esp. multiplication and division, and your elder might be a bit confused at the beginning. I was never able to help with my daughters' maths homework, but luckily OH is French!

P.S. The "All-Saints" (Toussaint) school holidays for 2017 are from 23rd October to Monday 6th November everywhere in France.

Last edited by dmu; Jun 24th 2017 at 10:16 am.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 12:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Given the family is Australian it would be helpful if the OP could clarify which visas or EU/EEA passports they are planning to use in order to reside in France for a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.