Reload this Page >

Moving to France in the summer

Moving to France in the summer

Old May 1st 2012, 7:23 am
Just Joined

danielle1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to France in the summer

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Welcome to the Forum, Until you have worked here you would receive no Chômage benefit it doesn't kick in until about 6 months of employment here with a maximum payout period of about 2 years at around 75% of your last salary.

You used to be able to have UK unemployment benefit paid here if you were already claiming it in the UK by talking to the portability team in Newcastle, But I do not know if this is still the case.
Hi all,

Just to inform you of an important change regarding the calculation that is used to determine the 75% of 'last salary'. Since last year this is now only calculated on any sums earned in France i.e. your one day's work (if you can get it and then go on to claim chomage).

Depending on what you manage to get, this calculation can result in a pitifully low allocation and the daily rate can even be lower than the SMIC equivalent.

I still don't understand how they did it but somehow the powers that be calculated that my hubby's average daily wage was €5.17 even though he was earning €10 per hour! I believe (but cannot confirm) that it is because the amount earned, even if on a part time basis, is averaged out over the month as if you were on full time hours.

Hence, his chomage allocation ended up being equivalent to less than 20% of his previous salary. In any case, your previous earnings abroad do not count for anything now.

Although the Pole d'Emploi has produced a leaflet on this change I understand that it has not been widely communicated... funny that!
Old May 1st 2012, 7:51 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danielle1000
Hi all,

Just to inform you of an important change regarding the calculation that is used to determine the 75% of 'last salary'. Since last year this is now only calculated on any sums earned in France i.e. your one day's work (if you can get it and then go on to claim chomage).

Depending on what you manage to get, this calculation can result in a pitifully low allocation and the daily rate can even be lower than the SMIC equivalent.

I still don't understand how they did it but somehow the powers that be calculated that my hubby's average daily wage was €5.17 even though he was earning €10 per hour! I believe (but cannot confirm) that it is because the amount earned, even if on a part time basis, is averaged out over the month as if you were on full time hours.

Hence, his chomage allocation ended up being equivalent to less than 20% of his previous salary. In any case, your previous earnings abroad do not count for anything now.

Although the Pole d'Emploi has produced a leaflet on this change I understand that it has not been widely communicated... funny that!
Im curious about this work one day thing, Because as I understood it it you were to work 1 day at best you would get one days Chômage if anything at all. My oh has just finish working after 2 years and she now gets 2 years Chômage although they try a lot harder to push you in to some form of employment.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I agree; what you get is usually dependent on how long you have worked; to a max of 2 years followed by RSA for a bit more
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:09 am
Just Joined

The one day's work is just to open up your entitlement in France. They then take into account your periods of work in the EU country that you have come from.

So OH's forms from the UK showing that he had paid NI for a full 2 years before leaving the UK got him 417 days of chomage in France. I don't know why 417 days....
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

You are the only person i have ever spoken to that has succeeded in getting any chomage from France via uk NI; so well done for that!
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

It wasn't easy (mainly due to misunderstandings and complicated/missing paperwork) but every EU citizen has the right under European law.

You will find below the relevant text that I have copied from le Site de l'Union des Français à l'Etranger:

Si vous avez travaillé en France postérieurement à l'activité exercée dans un autre Etat membre de l’UE (à l’exclusion des pays de l’EEE (Islande Norvège, Lichtenstein) et de la Suisse), le Pôle Emploi prend en compte, pour le calcul de vos droits, les périodes de travail accomplies à l'étranger indiquées sur un formulaire U1. Ce formulaire est délivré, sur demande, par l'institution compétente de l'Etat dans lequel le travail a été accompli. A votre retour il faut au moins travailler une journée en France. Dans ce cas, le calcul des allocations de chômage s'effectue sur la base des salaires perçus en France uniquement. Il faut au moins travailler une journée en France.

Whilst this site appears to specifically be aimed at French people abroad and returning, the rules are exactly the same as were explained to us. I will try to find the correct text for foreigners when I have time...

You cannot have voluntarily given up your job in the previous EU country in order to come here and expect to get unemployment. However, there are exceptions, such as in our case where my job was transferred to France and my husband came with me. In such cases you have the same rights to unemployment benefits as all other EU citizens.