Reload this Page >

Moving to France in the summer

Moving to France in the summer

Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

francaise33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to France in the summer

Hello everyone!

Here we go...I'm French, my partner is British and we have 2 young children..
We won't have a job at the beginning and wonder if we can claim any benefits like RSA or any other..hopefully it wouldn't be for long!
Has anyone be in the same situation?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to France in the summer

Originally Posted by francaise33
Hello everyone!

Here we go...I'm French, my partner is British and we have 2 young children..
We won't have a job at the beginning and wonder if we can claim any benefits like RSA or any other..hopefully it wouldn't be for long!
Has anyone be in the same situation?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You'd have to google to find out the conditions for entitlement to RSA, etc... Likewise for Allocations Familiales - with two children you should be entitled to a princely () sum per month, but you may have to be resident for xx months.
Have you been paying into the British NHS? (in order to get a year or so's healthcare coverage while you're job-seeking). With two children, this is important.
You should bring over enough savings to last you a year (at least 1400€ (seuil de pauvreté) x 12). You must realise that the unemployment rate in France is much higher than in the UK.
Whereabouts are you moving to? and what are your lines of work?
It's not really the ideal time to move (back) to France without a job to go to and with two children dependent on you, but maybe you'll have your own family nearby?
All the best!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

RSA no
Allocations familiales yes immediately, you need a letter from child benefit uk saying you no longer claim there
Carte vitale yes for around 2 years based on your NI payments in the uk, you will need to contact Newcastle to sort it out

Good luck though I agree with DMU when she says it will be difficult
Old Apr 27th 2012, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Relobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here 18 months and only now getting close to receiving child benefit. Had a problem getting UK letter (despite them having no problem stopping payments) and not in FR treacle. Don't rely on that early is all I'm saying...
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

So you are saying that me as a French citizen wouldn't be getting any help of any sort regarding benefits after being expatriated 18 yrs in the UK???

I will be living in Saintes (17)....I am trilingual, Translator-Interpreter, I'm also registered as a childminder which i may do in France as well, worked in admin/online business for a doctor for 10 yrs. My hubby is in IT but doesn't speak french as yet......
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:40 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are saying that me as a French citizen wouldn't be getting any help of any sort regarding benefits after being expatriated 18 yrs in the UK???

I will be living in Saintes (17)....I am trilingual, Translator-Interpreter, I'm also registered as a childminder which i may do in France as well, worked in admin/online business for a doctor for 10 yrs. My hubby is in IT but doesn't speak french as yet......
Welcome to the Forum, Until you have worked here you would receive no Chômage benefit it doesn't kick in until about 6 months of employment here with a maximum payout period of about 2 years at around 75% of your last salary.

You used to be able to have UK unemployment benefit paid here if you were already claiming it in the UK by talking to the portability team in Newcastle, But I do not know if this is still the case.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

No it isnt.... the people in the uk say it is but when you get to France the lovely people say that you have to work one day until you can claim.. as it is almost impossible to get just one day's work....
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you could set yourself up as an Auto-Entrepreneur for translations and/or apply to the Conseil Général of the Charente-Maritime for registration as an Assistante-Maternelle agréee. Yourself and your children would be covered for healthcare in either case, but AFAIK your partner wouldn't.
There was another thread on the subject of Assistante-Maternelles some time ago, and I believe that you aren't allowed to look after more than 3children, which means that if your own children are below school age, you would only be allowed to look after one child = much-reduced income.
Hope this helps!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks DMU

I already know about assmat and it can take more than 6 months before you are allowed to look after children + finding a family, again same for translation work...
What i was after from this forum was more about "the in between" until we found something.

also regarding french lessons for my partner from pole-emploi i believe?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apparently nothing, which is why arriving expats without work to come to are advised to bring a year's worth of savings.
I've heard about French lessons via the Pôle-Emploi, and some one who has been along that route will give more info, but I would have thought YOU were the best way for your partner to learn French!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Even that I am French!!!!???? i just cannot get any definitive answer.....
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

thats because you are asking on a forum and people are trying to be helpfull but they obviously dont know the definitive answer for you, because you are french would it not be better for you to contact the relevent people in france to find out just exactly what you will be entitled to when you arrive i would imagine that it will be important to know for sure being as you are planning on arriving with children.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:01 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by puggirl
thats because you are asking on a forum and people are trying to be helpfull but they obviously dont know the definitive answer for you, because you are french would it not be better for you to contact the relevent people in france to find out just exactly what you will be entitled to when you arrive i would imagine that it will be important to know for sure being as you are planning on arriving with children.
The Answers are here, As you know the unemployment system in France is very different to the UK, There is no Automatic entitlement to any benefit if you have not been in gainful employmen wether you are French or English by birth within France, unless you have something to add that all of us have over looked.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Even that I am French!!!!???? i just cannot get any definitive answer.....
Hi,
If you google "droits sociaux expatrié français de retour en France", you may find useful info in some of the results. Ask on French expat forums. The French Consulat in the UK may also have info. You could also contact
http://www.caf.fr/wps/portal/particu.../metropole/rsa
directly.
Hope you find a definitive answer, but as mentioned, any allowances that you may be entitled to won't be handed out straight away and you shouldn't count on them. Like other EU citizens moving to France, you must bring enough savings with you to tide you and your family over while you're looking for work and "they" are processing your applications.
Good luck!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:48 am
Just Joined

thank you everyone! i will call the CAF tomorrow!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.