Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Bureaucracy ptsd!

Bureaucracy ptsd!

Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bureaucracy ptsd!

It's almost 4 years since I left France and I still get slightly panicked whenever I have to have dealings with bureaucrats here in the US.

I totally overprepare - honestly 6 hours working on my property tax protest, with 60+ photos and 30 or so comparisons ready, with a 3 page document to prompt me.

This morning I went to US immigration for a routine thing. I took all the immigration paperwork for the whole family, print outs of flights, passports. For one child.

I'm still always waiting for the person to find the one, tiny, inconsequential piece of documentation that I don't have with me. Remembering the glint in the eyes of the french bureaucrat as they succesfully locate it and telling me that they are really sorry but they can't proceed without it.

Any treatments available for this type of ptsd???
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bureaucracy ptsd!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It's almost 4 years since I left France and I still get slightly panicked whenever I have to have dealings with bureaucrats here in the US.

I totally overprepare - honestly 6 hours working on my property tax protest, with 60+ photos and 30 or so comparisons ready, with a 3 page document to prompt me.

This morning I went to US immigration for a routine thing. I took all the immigration paperwork for the whole family, print outs of flights, passports. For one child.

I'm still always waiting for the person to find the one, tiny, inconsequential piece of documentation that I don't have with me. Remembering the glint in the eyes of the french bureaucrat as they succesfully locate it and telling me that they are really sorry but they can't proceed without it.

Any treatments available for this type of ptsd???

Hi pf,
I had the same in the US, frequently.
Go to the range and let loose 100 or so rounds.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Hi pf,
I had the same in the US, frequently.
Go to the range and let loose 100 or so rounds.
really??

But it's so easy here in the USA. My ptsd is due to my experiences of french bureaucrats - especially the prefectures and the CPAM, RSI etc...
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
really??

But it's so easy here in the USA. My ptsd is due to my experiences of french bureaucrats - especially the prefectures and the CPAM, RSI etc...

Not IMHO.
We have had different experiences obviously.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 4:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Go to the range and let loose 100 or so rounds.
Or if you're a thrill-seeker who enjoys taking risks, take a swim in your back garden pool.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Or if you're a thrill-seeker who enjoys taking risks, take a swim in your back garden pool.
Unlike Florida, there are no water moccasins in my pool here.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 4:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike Florida, there are no water moccasins in my pool here. ....
PF can explain.

Whether she will or not, is a different matter
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since I arrived I've always done all this stuff online, and so far I have only once had a dossier knocked back and that was when I tried to fob them off with a scan a birth certificate that was too long to fit on the scanner. They politely pointed out that they needed a whole birth certificate, and I didn't find that too unreasonable.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Ever since I arrived I've always done all this stuff online, and so far I have only once had a dossier knocked back and that was when I tried to fob them off with a scan a birth certificate that was too long to fit on the scanner. They politely pointed out that they needed a whole birth certificate, and I didn't find that too unreasonable.
I tend to agree. So far (note: so far) I haven't had a great deal of issue with french bureaucrats. I did find it a bit annoying a few years ago to have to provide a copy of our marriage certificate before getting a Carte Gris for a car whose ownership would be joint with my spouse. ( I hope you're reading this cyrian).

Other than that I've found France to be more user-friendly than Germany by a country mile. Even so, I managed to master that Beamterschaft too.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I tend to agree. So far (note: so far) I haven't had a great deal of issue with french bureaucrats. I did find it a bit annoying a few years ago to have to provide a copy of our marriage certificate before getting a Carte Gris for a car whose ownership would be joint with my spouse. ( I hope you're reading this cyrian).

Other than that I've found France to be more user-friendly than Germany by a country mile. Even so, I managed to master that Beamterschaft too.

They accepted a passport for me.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian

They accepted a passport for me.
How about your spouse,
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How about your spouse,
Us
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

PF, I think most folks - including myself, would agree with your comments about French Bureaucracy in general. Fortunately there are the occasional exceptions to the rule.
Last week I went to the local Prefecture to request a duplicate French driving licence, as I'd lost the original. It was a truly ragged and moth-eaten specimen, so not sad to see the back of it, and get a new credit-card size licence.
After a 20min wait, armed with all the necessary docs, I presented them at the desk. The lady must have had some charm-school tuition, as my dossier was taken with a smile and kind words, and entered onto their system within minutes. I was told it would take about a week to process, and I could either collect it in person or have it sent by post for no extra charge. I opted for the latter, and it arrived today. Excellent service.
The downside? I look a damn sight older on the new one than I did on the original.........
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

+1
I emailed a gérant this morning ===and got a reply in 5 minutes - gobsmacked
Is France finally catching up with 20th century.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 3:05 pm
Austin. TX.

My encounter with the prefecture regarding changing my UK license to a french one was horrendous.
My OH had not been given back the paper part of my license when we hired a car in the UK. This went unnoticed because 4 hours drive later we realised that he hadn't got all the suitcases off the baggage belt. (in case, you're wondering , I was looking after a baby and 2 other children at the time),he only had to count to 7. Unfortunately, it was my case and it was Christmas Eve. I had to wear my motherin law's underwear Christmas Day. Don't ask.
I digress. The paper part lists the categories you can drive.I had no idea that the card part wouldn't be sufficient and neither did the woman at the prefecture - at first. She sorrowfully told me that I had provided all the paperwork but she would need to check with her supervisor. Her eyes were all lit up when she came back and told that I couldn't exchange without the categories listed for them. She told me that I'd have to take my french driving test.

I cried all the way home, I yelled at my husband for losing it . Then I phoned the DVLC. YES!!! They issued me with an affidavit in french with all the categories. I went back a week later and this time it was me with the triumphant eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.