Old Apr 22nd 2004, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

lesgarcons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to France - Our story

Hi all...

We have recently moved to France from the UK,

Our new website:

www.leboisdelamotte.com

may be of use to anyone thinking of moving abroad !!!

Regards

phil
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Carolanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to France - Our story

Good photos lads. Thanks for taking the trouble to post them. Your dog gipsy is a really cute critter. It looks like a beautiful part of France. What were you doing in the UK (jobs) and what made you decide to make the move to France?
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:36 am
Just Joined

lesgarcons is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.. Glad you liked the pics!

Gypsy is a bit of a cutie isnt she...!

Before we left the UK, we had been renovating properties in and around Manchester. Before that we both worked for airlines, and we both have tourism backgrounds. I have a degree in tourism management, which should be useful running Gites ! (the first time it will have ever been of use!)

I guess the reason we decided to move was that we both just wanted to see something different, and although its not a million miles away from home, the culture is different to the UK - (James is from Ireland originally though)

The thing that prodded us and actually made us look for a property was C4 prog last year - I think it was "a place in the sun" - but actually on Bulgaria. I started looking on the net, couldn' really find much, so ended up looking at France. Charente seemed like good value - probably lower prices than nearby Dordogne. We flew over several times, looked at loads of properties - all terrible, but cheap.

Then we saw this one, and fell in love with it straight away. It was slightly over budget, but the layout and style are just right. From making the offer to moving in was about 12 weeks. Not too bad.

Hope that helps..

Phil
Old Sep 4th 2005, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

bobthebuilder is an unknown quantity at this point

Visited your site and your dream property is now for sale

Why are you selling up??????????????????????????????????
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

QuestBG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobthebuilder
Visited your site and your dream property is now for sale

Why are you selling up??????????????????????????????????
to make money I would think !?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by QuestBG
to make money I would think !?
What makes you think that? Maybe their dream turned into a nightmare or maybe they have found somewhere better? Let them talk for themselves
Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

JackT is an unknown quantity at this point

What makes you think that? Maybe their dream turned into a nightmare or maybe they have found somewhere better? Let them talk for themselves

If I recall they posted details of the sale on one of the forums in March 2005. Said they were returning to the UK due to an illness in the family. They found a buyer pretty quick too if I recall.

I know for a fact that quite a few Brits have found that the cost of converting wrecks into gites has escalated way above their expectations, partly due to the high costs of French artisans.

Add the fact that there are now more gites available than visitors wanting to rent them, and the concept no longer appears so attractive to many.

Is that your plan?

JT
--
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JackT
If I recall they posted details of the sale on one of the forums in March 2005. Said they were returning to the UK due to an illness in the family. They found a buyer pretty quick too if I recall.

I know for a fact that quite a few Brits have found that the cost of converting wrecks into gites has escalated way above their expectations, partly due to the high costs of French artisans.

Add the fact that there are now more gites available than visitors wanting to rent them, and the concept no longer appears so attractive to many.

Is that your plan?

JT
--
No, not my plan at all. Iplan to retire.

But I see where you are coming from. Lots of people moving to France have no idea what they will do to earn money beyond owning gites!!!!!! It stands to reason with all these new gites available that they are ten a penny now.

Are building costs really very high in France?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Josephine79 has a brilliant futureJosephine79 has a brilliant futureJosephine79 has a brilliant futureJosephine79 has a brilliant futureJosephine79 has a brilliant futureJosephine79 has a brilliant future

This is the advice they left when they explained their decision to return to the UK:

"To anyone that is reading this and thinking of moving to France, don't be put off - We love it here, the French people are amazing, the countryside stunning, the cheese to die for (even if it does make the fridge smell like a worn-out jock strap) - and the wine.... oh, the wine.... !
But if you are thinking of moving to France - maybe think through every possible scenario concerning your family back in the UK.

Thanks to you all...

Phil and James"

Hope this reassures you..
Jo
Old Sep 17th 2005, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Josephine79
This is the advice they left when they explained their decision to return to the UK:

"To anyone that is reading this and thinking of moving to France, don't be put off - We love it here, the French people are amazing, the countryside stunning, the cheese to die for (even if it does make the fridge smell like a worn-out jock strap) - and the wine.... oh, the wine.... !
But if you are thinking of moving to France - maybe think through every possible scenario concerning your family back in the UK.

Thanks to you all...

Phil and James"

Hope this reassures you..
Jo

LOLOL jock strap? yes french cheese is VILE

however ............................. images !