Reload this Page >

Moving to Lyon with kids

Moving to Lyon with kids

Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:00 am
Just Joined

macadalmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Lyon with kids

Hi everyone,

We are moving to Lyon in January 2018 for a minimum of 12 months with our two kids who will be 7 and 9.

I'm seeking advice on places to live around Lyon and primary schools with good reputations. Thinking public primary school.

We're happy to find a good school and then arrange to live near by. Thinking of renting a fully furnished place through Airbnb / Gites in france or another website platform if you know of one?

I previously posted a thread asking about the Toulouse region and the responses where overwhelmingly useful.

Really appreciate thoughts you can contribute. Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:19 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Lyon with kids

Originally Posted by macadalmo
Hi everyone,

We are moving to Lyon in January 2018 for a minimum of 12 months with our two kids who will be 7 and 9.

I'm seeking advice on places to live around Lyon and primary schools with good reputations. Thinking public primary school.

We're happy to find a good school and then arrange to live near by. Thinking of renting a fully furnished place through Airbnb / Gites in france or another website platform if you know of one?

I previously posted a thread asking about the Toulouse region and the responses where overwhelmingly useful.

Really appreciate thoughts you can contribute. Many thanks in advance.
Hi, the general advice on schooling which we've already given in your other thread is applicable to Lyon. I would add that i've never heard of a Primaire with a bad reputation (except perhaps in the 93 and parts of Marseille where no teacher would like to be transferred). If no one can personally recommend a "good" one, then come over to visit a few schools, to get an idea and make a deciision, then find a furnished gîte to rent in the catchment area while you decide how long you'll stay, so that you'll have justification of domicile when you enrol at the Mairie.
I didn't read the full thread and may have missed an episode, but if you aren't salaried or self-employed with a French business structure, you'll have to take out private healthcare insurance for you and your family. If you're seconded from a UK company, take a look in the "posted workers" thread, in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above.
Hope all this helps!
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Purple Jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Lyon with kids

Hi Macadalmo,

We used to live in Lyon - great city! The old Lyon and La Croix Rousse district are beautiful.
No idea about primary schools. We lived on the outskirts in Oullins and the school on rue de la Glacière was very good. Our kids were there for a couple of years.
The only problem living on that South side there was the commuting. A 10 minute journey to city centre on Sunday was 10 minutes but in the week it was 50 to 60 minutes because of the traffic. That was 18 years ago. So a better idea to live nearer the city centre to make life easier.