Reload this Page >

MOVING TO FRANCE

MOVING TO FRANCE

Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Brenda Grigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MOVING TO FRANCE

Hello everyone

My husband and I are thinking of moving to France. We want to work so are looking to run a gite business with just one or two gites that we could expand.
If anyone has any advice with regards to this we would love to hear from you.

I am not a young chicken I am 66 years old and my husband is 55 we would also like to know any information on the health service in France. If we need to get top up insurance etc.

I do get my state pension so how does this compare to taking it in france with the exchange rates.

To be hones any information at all will be most graciously received

Brenda
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO FRANCE

Originally Posted by Brenda Grigg
Hello everyone

My husband and I are thinking of moving to France. We want to work so are looking to run a gite business with just one or two gites that we could expand.
If anyone has any advice with regards to this we would love to hear from you.

I am not a young chicken I am 66 years old and my husband is 55 we would also like to know any information on the health service in France. If we need to get top up insurance etc.

I do get my state pension so how does this compare to taking it in france with the exchange rates.

To be hones any information at all will be most graciously received

Brenda
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I only know what I read on the forum about running gîtes, so will leave it to others more in the know to advise on the feasability of such a venture.
A few questions: Do you speak French? What region were you thinking of settling in? I would suggest a spa town. Many French people go on cures which last 3 weeks and you'd have better chances of letting during the full 8-9 month long season.
As for healthcare, you yourself would have the same coverage as your average French person, with your S1 form, i.e. about 70% costs reimbursed. Advisable at your age to take out a Mutuelle to reimburse the rest (not applicable to glasses and false teeth).
If your husband, as an "inactif", isn't covered by your own healthcare insurance (some one in the know will come along to advise), it would be advisable for him to set up your gîte business in his name, in order to enter the French System. Meanwhile he must take out private healthcare insurance upon arrival, to cover him until he's in the System.
Declaration of income from the Gîte and worldwide ressources must be filed annually at the French Tax Office. Nothing much you can do about the exchange rate for your Pension, since the DWP will know you're no longer in the UK and will transfer the amount to your French Bank. That's how it works for me, anyway...
Take a look at the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above, which cover many aspects of living in France which you may not be aware of (Inheritance Laws, for example).
Hope this helps a little!
Old Feb 5th 2018, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Brenda,
I do not have experience of running a gite in France but from what I have read on here it is not easy.
You probably would not earn enough to live on from the income.
There is already a lot of competition from existing gites and now Air BnB in the best areas.
You would need to use a business structure and register with the local Mairie and have the necessary permissions.
You would need to advertise (in multiple languages) probably through online sites.
It is possible and many people have done it already - but it isn't as simple as in the UK.
Your OH wouldn't be able to work as an electrician in France because he would need the correct french qualifications and insurance to work and sign off work.

I recently read a post on BE (which I can't find) where a couple moved to France and they couldn't find work and had run out of money.
Her OH was a lorry driver and nobody wanted to employ a non-french speaking lorry driver.
Unemployment is twice the rate in the UK and jobs are hard to find.
You are doing the correct thing in asking the questions before you decide but please make sure that you get this right - it could be a costly mistake.

HTH
Old Feb 5th 2018, 10:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hello Brenda,
I do not have experience of running a gite in France but from what I have read on here it is not easy.
You probably would not earn enough to live on from the income.
There is already a lot of competition from existing gites and now Air BnB in the best areas.
You would need to use a business structure and register with the local Mairie and have the necessary permissions.
You would need to advertise (in multiple languages) probably through online sites.
It is possible and many people have done it already - but it isn't as simple as in the UK.
Your OH wouldn't be able to work as an electrician in France because he would need the correct french qualifications and insurance to work and sign off work.

I recently read a post on BE (which I can't find) where a couple moved to France and they couldn't find work and had run out of money.
Her OH was a lorry driver and nobody wanted to employ a non-french speaking lorry driver.
Unemployment is twice the rate in the UK and jobs are hard to find.
You are doing the correct thing in asking the questions before you decide but please make sure that you get this right - it could be a costly mistake.

HTH
Did I miss an episode re the OH's profession? Whatever, it's certainly true what you say about UK electricians and job prospects in France....
The OP receives a UK Pension, so the Gîte wouldn't be their only income. But only pocket money, all the same...
The post you're thinking of is tucked in the Introduction Thread here (#1352 and 1354) and in Jobs wanted, and she hasn't given any feedback since.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Lots to think about and find out.
For instance, if you come to France as a UK retiree and don't work in France, at present the UK funds your healthcare via an S1, because the UK was the last EU state where you worked therefore they're responsible for your social security during retirement (and this will probably continue after Brexit). If you set up a business in France you will be obliged to contribute to the French social security system. Will this mean that you lose your entitlement to the S1? I don't know but it might, and if it were me, I'd want to be sure because there are long-term implications.

I don't want to put you off, but I suggest you do a lot of research before you commit yourself.

As regards exchange rates, your guess is as good as anyone's. They can go up or they can go down. You need to leave yourself a solid cushion in case they go deep south.

@Cyrian, am I missing something but what makes you think OP's OH wants to work as an electrician Do you have second sight, or did the OP say it somewhere?
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
For instance, if you come to France as a UK retiree and don't work in France, at present the UK funds your healthcare via an S1, because the UK was the last EU state where you worked therefore they're responsible for your social security during retirement (and this will probably continue after Brexit). If you set up a business in France you will be obliged to contribute to the French social security system. Will this mean that you lose your entitlement to the S1? I don't know but it might, and if it were me, I'd want to be sure because there are long-term implications.

I don't want to put you off, but I suggest you do a lot of research before you commit yourself.

As regards exchange rates, your guess is as good as anyone's. They can go up or they can go down. You need to leave yourself a solid cushion in case they go deep south.

@Cyrian, am I missing something but what makes you think OP's OH wants to work as an electrician Do you have second sight, or did the OP say it somewhere?
Great minds think alike!
I suggested that the Gîte business be in the OH's name, so that he as a separate individual would contribute into the French System. OP's UK Pensioner status would presumably keep her in the System without paying côtisations?
Old Feb 5th 2018, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Many here in the past have moved into the running a gites business. Some may have made a reasonable go at it, and many have never reported back, which is not a particularly encouraging sign. Whatever, it is a very demanding occupation for a couple, and if one of you falls sick, well......
We occasionally stay in a gite when travelling in France, and have always made a point of staying in a place run by French people as it adds to the total ambiance immersion of living in France.
Another thing which never ceases to amaze me, and one must seriously ask the question, "Why are there so many gites up for sale all over France?" Obviously some are owned by retirees moving on, but I'll leave you to guess for the rest. As Cyrian rightly says, "There is already a lot of competition from existing gites. " And now Air BnB are adding to their woes. Plan very carefully indeed.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Great minds think alike!
I suggested that the Gîte business be in the OH's name, so that he as a separate individual would contribute into the French System. OP's UK Pensioner status would presumably keep her in the System without paying côtisations?
Well it would, the small problem would be that if she is working in the business and not declared, then technically that is fraud

As URSSAF sees it, either it's hubbie's business and he runs it while she puts her feet up, or it's a joint business, they both work, both contribute to earning the income and both pay cotisations. URSSAF doesn't even like wives helping their husband with the accounts if they're not declared.

Unlikely to get picked up but on the other hand, running a gîte is a public facing activity. To be safe the website would have to mention only hubbie, and to be completely safe he would have to do all the paperwork and liaising and meeting and greeting. If OP accidently met and gret an inspector on a busman's holiday, there's no undoing that once it's done is there.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 1:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it would, the small problem would be that if she is working in the business and not declared, then technically that is fraud

As URSSAF sees it, either it's hubbie's business and he runs it while she puts her feet up, or it's a joint business, they both work, both contribute to earning the income and both pay cotisations. URSSAF doesn't even like wives helping their husband with the accounts if they're not declared.

Unlikely to get picked up but on the other hand, running a gîte is a public facing activity. To be safe the website would have to mention only hubbie, and to be completely safe he would have to do all the paperwork and liaising and meeting and greeting. If OP accidently met and gret an inspector on a busman's holiday, there's no undoing that once it's done is there.
You're right!
The OP has a lot to think about before taking the plunge...
Maybe there should be a sticky to explain what URSSAF is, as this must be the worst French quirk that must be understood by a prospective entrepreneur before becoming one.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does this work? Is posting links to images allowed? Mods please remove if not!

https://fr.sott.net/image/s18/369780...ole_Urssaf.jpg

Last edited by EuroTrash; Feb 5th 2018 at 1:54 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 2:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does this work? Is posting links to images allowed? Mods please remove if not!

https://fr.sott.net/image/s18/369780...ole_Urssaf.jpg

I'm not sure it would be any help for would-be entrepreneurs, but it's very pertinent!
Upon reflexion, URSSAF isn't a FAQ, as you can't ask a question about something you've never heard of (and who, apart from people working in France, have heard of it?)
Old Feb 5th 2018, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

It is in her public profile
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cyrian
It is in her public profile
Nice one!
I confess that I never look at the public profile of some one posting for the first time!
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Did I miss an episode re the OH's profession? Whatever, it's certainly true what you say about UK electricians and job prospects in France....
The OP receives a UK Pension, so the Gîte wouldn't be their only income. But only pocket money, all the same...
The post you're thinking of is tucked in the Introduction Thread here (#1352 and 1354) and in Jobs wanted, and she hasn't given any feedback since.
Thanks dmu - that is the lady who was running out of money after her move to France.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Purple Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brenda,
How about trying to find a little gite business that is for sale? One which is already set-up and running. The existing owners would guide you through the transition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.