Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

moving to France

moving to France

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

bathguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question moving to France

Hi all,we are married with three children under 10.We are in the early stages of moving to France.I would love to start my own carp fishing business over there,i-e buying a lake and buying or renting a house on the land or nearby.I wanted to ask how difficult is it to do.I know the red tape can be a pain but what were the things that was a pain for u to move over there?any suggestions for anything that would help would be fantastic. Thanks alot Darren and Louise.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Lydia_700 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: moving to France

Originally posted by bathguy
Hi all,we are married with three children under 10.We are in the early stages of moving to France.I would love to start my own carp fishing business over there,i-e buying a lake and buying or renting a house on the land or nearby.I wanted to ask how difficult is it to do.I know the red tape can be a pain but what were the things that was a pain for u to move over there?any suggestions for anything that would help would be fantastic. Thanks alot Darren and Louise.
Hi there Darren & Louise

I would try putting a post on the forum of www.livingfrance.com. There's a "Making a living in France" thread that may be a good place to start. You can also search archives to see if anyone else has done something similar.

All the best with your move and I hope you get all the info you need.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Lydia,we will try that. Darren and Louise
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

baron_von_nield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to France

Dear Bathguy (unoriginal name, but mustn't judge people by their pseudonyms, or else nobody would like me either)

I have lived in France for 4,5 years now. Should be great for you, providing you make a supreme effort at becoming socially integrated into French society.

The weakest link is the social factor over there, and lots of Brits just don't make enough efforts with the locals. Speak (or at least try) French and the rest will come on it's own. It's about making the French feel important. You make them feel important and they will go to great lengths to make your dreams work. They help you and you get on, and they might even raise a glass of Pastis saying 'vive l'angleterre' - starnger things have happened.

Beware of French paperwork. Go to the French embassy if needs be to find out everything before going - it is a nightmare over here. And another thing, take at least 20 passport size photos of yourself and each member of your family (keep them attached too) for the hundreds of papers that you'll find yourselves needing during your quest for Frenchdom.

I love it over here - just have to swallow your pride from time to time, let's not forget that I'm living in their country...

Good luck

Stuart - alias baron von nield

+ + + =
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Default France

Thankyou for the advice u gave.We are currently trying to learn French at the moment (through learn direct and its free if anyone else is thinking of taking it up).The photo's are a good tip and will get that done cheers,and i cant see anything wrong with the name as i come from Bath.lol. Thanks again mate. Darren.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

stlocook is an unknown quantity at this point

The BBC website has teach yourself French programmes. Try watching French TV if you can get it, or watch your DVD's in French, especially if you know the story in English. You will absorb words without realising it!

There was a Channel 4 programme about a couple who set up a fish farm in Brittany, is that where you got the idea? If not, the site might interest you.

French people are friendly, at least if you try to speak their language. They don't laugh at you, honest!

And bring photocopies by the hundred of birth certificates, wedding certificates, childrens vaccinations, school records, every single official piece of paper you can lay your hands on. They will be gone in a week.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your suggestions, I will certainly take them on board.

Bath guy
Originally posted by stlocook
The BBC website has teach yourself French programmes. Try watching French TV if you can get it, or watch your DVD's in French, especially if you know the story in English. You will absorb words without realising it!

There was a Channel 4 programme about a couple who set up a fish farm in Brittany, is that where you got the idea? If not, the site might interest you.

French people are friendly, at least if you try to speak their language. They don't laugh at you, honest!

And bring photocopies by the hundred of birth certificates, wedding certificates, childrens vaccinations, school records, every single official piece of paper you can lay your hands on. They will be gone in a week.