Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK 'logistics'

Moving back to UK 'logistics'

Old Jul 13th 2014, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

jackie 11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK 'logistics'

Having lived in France (east of Toulouse) for 25 years I'm now looking to return to the UK. For the last 15 years I've had my own gardening business so I'm looking for employment as a gardener in the UK. I've been told it will be easier to move back first, then find a job as employers are put off by the logistics of committing themselves to someone from abroad.

I hadn't thought of that before as it takes just 4 hours door-to-door to visit my family.
What are other people's thoughts on this?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK 'logistics'

HI Jackie. Best of British in your move.
Firstly, perhaps the MBTTUK forum would be a useful place - lots of helpful people there. (Some not exactly friendly, but mainly good people)
Secondly it may be right that most employers are going to want to see you physically located there. However, depending on the type of gardening you wish to undertake, this might be more in the line of "personal services". I just wonder if perhaps looking in "The Lady" might produce some interesting leads.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks biggleswade for your help. I've reposted on the MBTTUK forum

Am I being obtuse or naive? Why do I have to be physically in the UK before getting a job?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you are being either. Reading what those in MBTTUK have posted, they certainly seem to feel it is necessary.
I suspect it is because employers want to physically see you, and recruiters simply want to keep their own lives simple. That is why I suggested the Lady. It depends what sort of gardening you wish to do, but I imagine people who are looking for their own gardener might be more flexible.
It might also be that given the time and buggeration factor of physically moving from one country to another, employers might want to be certain of a start date/
But that is mere speculation on my part. I would certainly try from France, Nothing ventured as they say
Old Jul 13th 2014, 5:13 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie 11
Thanks biggleswade for your help. I've reposted on the MBTTUK forum

Am I being obtuse or naive? Why do I have to be physically in the UK before getting a job?
Would you employ someone without interviewing them in person, of the few remote interviews I have had they are always a preliminary phase in the interview process which typically move to face to face interviews.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Perhaps I should have said 'before being considered for a job'. The feedback I've had is that being out of the UK is THE reason for binning my application.
Of course I would expect to travel to an interview and being just '4 hours' away makes me closer to London than many other parts of the UK.
My question still stands. I'm just wondering if there is legislation or hoops an employer has to jump through that I don't know of.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 5:41 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should have said 'before being considered for a job'. The feedback I've had is that being out of the UK is THE reason for binning my application.
Of course I would expect to travel to an interview and being just '4 hours' away makes me closer to London than many other parts of the UK.
My question still stands. I'm just wondering if there is legislation or hoops an employer has to jump through that I don't know of.
There is no legislation to help you for this situation an employer has the right to choose or not in the initial paper sift as they see fit. I would if in your situation make sure your CV is presented in a top notch fashion it can also be hard going from a self employed position to working for someone else if you have been working for yourself for 15 years here it becomes very hard for a potential employer to gain a reference.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

One option may be to get a UK address for correspondence - this company rents mailboxes to people who need to set up or maintain a UK address

p.o. box Services, Mailbox Services from Mail Boxes Etc.

There are shops in most major towns so you may be able to find one near to where you want to work.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

employers are put off by the logistics of committing themselves to someone from abroad.
I hadn't thought of that before as it takes just 4 hours door-to-door to visit my family.
What are other people's thoughts on this?
Unless it's a live-in job, or a very good job that is obviously worth relocating for, most employers would think twice about interviewing someone who lives 1 hour away in the UK, let alone 4 hours away.
Out of big cities, a lot of employers are still very parochial and like to recruit their workers locally. Probably partly because they think they're more likely to turn up on time and partly so the employer can say they're 'investing in the local economy' and 'providing local jobs for local people' and all that. In some cases no doubt that really is the reason.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks EuroTrash. I think I can live with those reasons.
TinaBee I can use the address of my family if need be, but in this day and age of e-mails I'm not sure that's the problem
Thanks to all who gave some thought and time to respond. I feel less hot and bothered now!
Old Jul 16th 2014, 1:38 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks EuroTrash. I think I can live with those reasons.
TinaBee I can use the address of my family if need be, but in this day and age of e-mails I'm not sure that's the problem
Thanks to all who gave some thought and time to respond. I feel less hot and bothered now!
Jackie, may not be appropriate, but picking up on one of Biggsy's posts about private employment via The Lady, or other private opportunities, perhaps an initial Skype F2F might be accepted. Also, would it be possible to take a long vacation and hunt down a job when in UK?