Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Move France house build thread

Move France house build thread

Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Dordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond reputeDordogne Roofer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move France house build thread

Originally Posted by Alianco
I was enjoying this thread right up to the EU 'making us all the same and eroding culture'. I'll leave you to it

If you get offended at such a comment then that's your problem, you should be less easily offended. Grow up.
The EU is utter scum IMHO, all major institutions were setup as control mechanisms mainly by the owners of the banking system, the UN also, the IMF also, The Council on foreign affairs etc etc. They are fascism dressed as liberalism. Their goal is control via debt slavery. Look at what the EU did to Greece, to Ireland when it didn't get its way. to Ukraine when it didn't like it's government.
Only liberals seem to think that these institutions are moral or are there for the greater good, i'm yet to meet a liberal who actually understands how the world really works.
Understand our fake money supply and you'll understand how these organisations work. Ask yourself why do we not have sovereign money? Why do we borrow money from private individuals and institutions with interest when we could have created it ourselves?

I'm done here
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dordogne Roofer
I'm done here
Sorry, but I'm wondering why you've chosen to settle in France if you feel so strongly about the EU.
Don't go, we can discuss/advise on practical matters in another thread since this one is turning acid. And/or you could start a Blog....

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 16th 2017 at 9:11 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:51 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

We got to our Gite but couldn't get the power or lights working in most rooms, apparently in France they don't wire lights on one circuit, sockets on another etc. They wire anything that's near something else together. So one side of the room had a light and a socket working, the other side had nothing....French sockets are total crap, nothing fits snug, either plugs want to fall out or they're really tough to get in, i've had to wedge a table up against a plug to stop the plug falling out, arching much....
So with no way to figure out any logical trouble shooting path we went to sleep with no hot water, one heater working and a couple of lights working. It was cold!
The problem was an isolator by one of two fuse boards, you have to push it up twice, all rather odd but just glad everything working now.
I'd quite forgotten how frustrating I found French electrics when I bought/built my first house nearly 30 years ago. All I can say is....you get used to it.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not squabble, boys.

I was enjoying this thread right up to the EU 'making us all the same and eroding culture'. I'll leave you to it
Alianco, I had exactly the same knee-jerk reaction to that post! but then I thought, I guess we all arrive fresh off the boat with lots of preconceptions that we've been fed by the UK meeja, and it's only after we've been here a while that we start to realise that things aren't always quite as portrayed in the UK and the EU isn't in fact single-handedly responsible for creating all the ills in the world.

I acutally love DR's honest upfront approach to the adventure, plus he's a thinking person and I think that if he and Cat take root here he'll reflect on his experiences and probably change his mindset quite a lot. It has the potential to be an interesting journey in many ways.

As you say DMU, the situation at present is slightly odd in that he's very happy to take advantage (while he still can) of his EU right to exercise "freedom of movement", that being a 100% EU concept and one which the UK is keen to get shot of, even though he hates everything the EU stands for.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I'm done here
Please don't go, I have been finding your posts quite fascinating, but for your own sanity you might want to keep out of everything political, otherwise you will probably lose your mind.

I eventually learned, about 18 months ago, to stay (almost) entirely out of political threads and politics, and I am much happier for it.
So he can criticize things in England (as he did), and praise things in France (as he did), but how dare he criticize the European Onion!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 16th 2017 at 12:41 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Pulaski.
I guess us Brits are a bit oversensitive at the moment and get exasperated when we hear people re-echoing the sweeping statements typical of the Daily Express/Daily Mail et al, which is the opposite to what we see around us. There are many things wrong with the European Onion, but it will never make a Frenchman the same as a German or a Pole, and it encourages member states to preserve their own cultures. If the UK's lost its identity, that's not the EU's fault.
There, I've gone and bitten. That's definitely the EU's fault.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still enjoying this thread.
White flag time perhaps........
Old Nov 16th 2017, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I'm still enjoying this thread.
White flag time perhaps........
+1
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Geat shame to see this thread stagnating.
It's somewhat rare to have a new face on this forum with a fresh, interesting and such enthusiastic approach to their move to France.

@Dordogne Roofer: if you're still reading this, please continue your fascinating preamble. Even if not unanimous, I'm sure most here would appreciate your return.
A bientot..........
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep, hopefully it's just cos he's been busy and he will return.