Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

More Proposed Tax for the Tourist

More Proposed Tax for the Tourist

Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default More Proposed Tax for the Tourist

Found this in France24.com

"Tourists visiting France may find their hotel bills going up dramatically if a proposed law to impose huge increases in hotel taxes is approved.

The tax on taking a hotel room is currently between one and 1.50 euros. The proposed law would see this charge rising to eight euros, with an extra two euros per person per night in the Paris area.

The increased charges would apply to the top-end hotels, from one to five euros for three-star establishments, and from 1.50 to eight euros for four and five-star hotels."

Not a good idea IMHO.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all
Default Re: More Proposed Tax for the Tourist

Does the tax vary from dept to dept (or region) ?

At the moment, I pay 0.40 euro per person per night for my Chambres d'hote. I assume I don't have to pay for friends and family who come to visit me.

Is it the norm to absorb the tax in the tarrif, or am I being generous?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Dramatic?? Huge increase?? Apparently it doesn't apply to budget hotels, where OK it might add a noticeable percentage, and frankly I don't think most tourists who stay in a five star hotel in Paris will even notice an extra few euro on the bill.

I believe it varies from commune to commune.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Dramatic?? Huge increase?? Apparently it doesn't apply to budget hotels, where OK it might add a noticeable percentage, and frankly I don't think most tourists who stay in a five star hotel in Paris will even notice an extra few euro on the bill.

I believe it varies from commune to commune.
The latest:

“A plan to slap a five-fold increase on hotel tax in France has been ditched by France’s National Assembly after lawmakers said that such a steep rise would deal a blow to the country's vital tourism industry.”