Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moped Riding in France

Moped Riding in France

Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:48 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moped Riding in France

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
Er, sorry? Having come from a family of bikers and, in the dim and distant past, won a grasstrack trophy, I cannot support you slagging off all motorcyclists. Whatever vehicle people start their driving career on they're going to be at a higher risk of accidents, however young or old the law says they have to be when they start. Don't you know that young people need danger in their lives? It's their way of finding out what they are capable of doing. I'd rather they were getting their thrills and independence through something like owning a moped than through hanging around in pubs or taking drugs. Epiphanies sounds very sensible and I hope s/he has as much fun, friendship and pleasure from two wheels as I did. I would suggest always wearing protective clothing, however hot the day, especially gloves and something to cover your knees, and, of course, a helmet. Gravel rash is not funny. Roads round here are bare of traffic, far less risk of accidents than in England.
Good luck Ephiphanies. I'm pretty sure your insurance company will withdraw your insurance after a month so you will have to get insurance over here (marginally cheaper in my experience). Bear in mind that if your tax runs out while you are over here and you do not have current English insurance you will not be able to retax your vehicle. And because the system has become computerised they do not accept French based insurance on an English vehicle whatever the documentation says.
Oi! Get back in yer box. Where was I 'slagging off all motorcyclists'? After burying two close friends, dead because they were 'finding out what danger's all about'. One not so very long ago, and another young girl, again on a scooter, here in France, and my daughter's best friend, I should think I'm entitled to my opinion. :curse:
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Oi! Get back in yer box. Where was I 'slagging off all motorcyclists'? After burying two close friends, dead because they were 'finding out what danger's all about'. One not so very long ago, and another young girl, again on a scooter, here in France, and my daughter's best friend, I should think I'm entitled to my opinion. :curse:
Nobody's denying you your opinion. I'm entitled to mine too. If you are on a motorbike you are learning what your wheels are doing. Many car drivers are very careless in their driving and cause a lot of accidents to motorcyclists. Your experiences explain the vehemence of your postings on this, postings which are also a bit off subject. Death happens, harsh but true, and it is hard overcoming our senses of futility and loss. I feel for you in your grief. I'm not posting on this again here because it is off subject however if you wish to pm me you are of course free to do so.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:13 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
Nobody's denying you your opinion. I'm entitled to mine too. If you are on a motorbike you are learning what your wheels are doing. Many car drivers are very careless in their driving and cause a lot of accidents to motorcyclists. Your experiences explain the vehemence of your postings on this, postings which are also a bit off subject. Death happens, harsh but true, and it is hard overcoming our senses of futility and loss. I feel for you in your grief. I'm not posting on this again here because it is off subject however if you wish to pm me you are of course free to do so.
I think you should re-read each of my posts on this thread and then tell me which ones contain vehemence, and where I slag every motorcyclist off? If you could also point out where I've gone off topic, I'd be grateful. I've offered correct information, help and advice. I've also said that all three of mine have had moto's or scooters. it's only when I get accused of doing something that I plainly haven't, that I get a bit 'tetchy'. You can apologise when you've re-read. No, I have nothing to say to you by PM.