Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy small house in France

Looking to buy small house in France

Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO FRANCE

Originally Posted by PG76
Thank you to the majority of you who have provided sound advice this far. I'm sure if some of you who have owned a property in France for some time that if you think back, you too may have been confused about all the conflicting information and advice there is out there. Just for information it was a French speaking English solicitor who spun many a yarn about the pitfalls of only relying on the notaire. Years after buying a house people finding that a neighbour then built a property on their land as they had an ancient but never used right of way....etc etc. Touting for business possibly???!!
There are some issues that are a bit strange to a Brit.
If you own land then you should make it clear to all that it is your private land.
You can do this by erecting a fence or just boundary signs saying "Private property - no trespassing".
You also need to ensure that your property has right of access.
To be fair, similar rights exist in the UK but are virtually never come across.
In France, if someone has consistently been using your land for grazing, then that could become their right to continue.
In addition, because of french inheritance laws, you should verify that the seller has the right to sell the property.
A property is inherited by all the children of the deceased as stated by another BE member where a house was owned by 12? offspring and they all have to agree to the sale.
HTH

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 21st 2018 at 10:21 am. Reason: addition
Old Feb 21st 2018, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure if some of you who have owned a property in France for some time that if you think back, you too may have been confused about all the conflicting information and advice there is out there.
Indeed, and that's why it's important to use your common sense to decide which sources to trust. Sometimes false information is given due to ignorance and sometimes as you say it's given by somebody with a vested interest in creating a market for whatever service they provide. Applies to all walks of life and buying a house in France is no different, why would it be.

Notaires can be relied on to do their job, which is to ensure that all the documentation is correct and nothing contravenes French law. However it's assumed that the buyer and the seller will consider the actes carefully and query anything they don't fully understand. The notaire's job includes explaining anything either party needs clarification on, but you have to ask because if you don't, he may assume you have understood and are happy with it. It might occur to him to check that you realise the implications of this or that specific point, but it might not because notaires do tend to assume that no sane person is going to sign a contract involving thousand of euros, if they're not confident that they know what they're signing. That's why I suggested using an interpreter if your French isn't tops, so that you'll be able to get clarification from the notaire on anything you're not sure about.

Unfortunately some people seem to leave their common sense at Dover, or maybe they just get carried away with the dream and don't see things objectively. You see people asking the same question over and over again, obviously waiting for someone to give them the answer they want and then they'll believe it, even though official websites and trusted professional websites all say the opposite. And what I really don't understand is the people who persuade the notaire to send the contracts for signature by email. Too much time and trouble to come to France and sit in his office while he reads it out and explains it, far easier to sign a document you don't understand a word of, email it back and then potentially spend the next ten years tearing your hair out over the consequences.

Just for the record, if there is a right of way over your land then it will be mentioned in the acte de vente that you will have signed; and in any case, having a right of way over a piece of land owned by a third party, doesn't mean you can build a house on it... FGS
Old Feb 21st 2018, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
A property is inherited by all the children of the deceased as stated by another BE member where a house was owned by 12? offspring and they all have to agree to the sale.
I just read that quickly, without me specs on, and I thought it said "where a house was owned by 127 offspring".

Now I know Catholicism is still strong here, but that would be going it some
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I just read that quickly, without me specs on, and I thought it said "where a house was owned by 127 offspring".

Now I know Catholicism is still strong here, but that would be going it some
I thought that Novo said that there were around 12 of them - 127 relatives might be a bit much for him to bear.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that Novo said that there were around 12 of them - 127 relatives might be a bit much for him to bear.
Not 12, a mere nine. Believe me, 9 is more than enough.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I suggested using an interpreter if your French isn't tops, so that you'll be able to get clarification from the notaire on anything you're not sure about.
In Germany it's compulsory to have an official interpreter if any of the parties to a property transaction aren't native german speakers.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:52 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering about the general quality of advice being given to PG76.

Buying a derelict house in france as an investment? There are usually very good reasons why somewhere is left to rot. Who do you imagine is going to buy it if your plan is to "flip" it?
Will you need permits from the mairie? Architect to draw them up?
Old Feb 21st 2018, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Buying a derelict house in france as an investment?
But it's not being bought as an investment. PG76 has already been given caveats and advised to get quotes.

I am wondering why the price is so low - even for France.
If you are going to do it up then please be aware that you may not get your money back.
Does the house have all the necessary certificates?
For example termites have now spread as far north as the middle/north-ish part of France.
Is the house connected to mains water and sewage or does it have a fosse septique which is up to current standards?
Does it have right of access?
Houses do not sell fast in France so take your time and get it right.
Hi
Thanks for the advice. With regards the price - the house is a 'fixer upper' and we would not be looking at it as an investment. In fact all 5 of the 6 we looked at over 4 days were under 25 000. We are waiting for confirmation from the Marie for the certificate for mains drainage. No offer has been made as yet but would request full info from the agent involved before making one.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 4:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

But it's not being bought as an investment. PG76 has already been given caveats and advised to get quotes.
For some reason, I read it a few days ago that it was an investment.

I still wouldn't do it!
Old Feb 21st 2018, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For some reason, I read it a few days ago that it was an investment.

I still wouldn't do it!
Yes the thread seems to have changed direction, I think the OP wandered off and has been replaced by a different poster asking different questions.

Some people do seem to get lots of fun out of "doer-uppers" though so why not, if it's your thing and you have the cash. Some people buy yachts, some people buy fast cars and I don't suppose many of them get their money back. If I had 26k spare I'd probably buy a motorhome and that wouldn't be much of an investment either.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 4:37 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a derelict house in france as an investment? There are usually very good reasons why somewhere is left to rot. Who do you imagine is going to buy it if your plan is to "flip" it?
Will you need permits from the mairie? Architect to draw them up?
New builds and post war houses are the only way to see any sensible return on investment here. Sensible = breaking even at best. Profit in property here not happening unless you manage to sell to a fresh face English person that doesn't know better.

The OP is a bit scarce in this thread and a new posters questions are drowning out the OP's initial request for information........

Hi all
I am new to this forum and am hoping for some advice. I am considering buying a very small house (€20 000) and am unsure whether to appoint a solicitor - I have been quoted £1500 - or whether to just rely on the local notaire. Any advice would be greatly received.
Thanks
Pam
Start new thread the button you are looking for is which can be found at the top and bottom of the France Section someone else started this thread with different questions and doesn't need their responses swallowed up with answers to your questions..... ;-) It's polite forum etiquette to segregate questions as it makes it easier to find things using the search system.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Feb 21st 2018 at 4:51 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 7:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking to buy small house in France

Morning everyone.

I have split the posts so that each topic is in a different thread.

Merci
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:20 pm
Born again atheist

Some people do seem to get lots of fun out of "doer-uppers" though so why not, if it's your thing and you have the cash. Some people buy yachts, some people buy fast cars and I don't suppose many of them get their money back. If I had 26k spare I'd probably buy a motorhome and that wouldn't be much of an investment either.
I don't like sailing and I no longer drive very fast cars So we've spent a good deal on renovating the house we bought 11 years ago

We bought it for exactly the same price it had last been bought for 10 years earlier

We have no expectations that it's worth any more today.