Reload this Page >

Leaving adult kids in uk

Leaving adult kids in uk

Old Jun 7th 2017, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Jovo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving adult kids in uk

Hi
Has anyone moved from uk to france leaving adult children?
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:37 pm
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving adult kids in uk

Originally Posted by Jovo
Hi
Yes back in 1994 my then partner did when they were all at uni (we married here and all the family came)
They all have their life in the UK and visit regularly.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:11 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Plenty of people I know have done it.

why?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 5:03 am
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Plenty of people I know have done it.

why?
You bring up your family the best that you can and give them a start in life and when they go out and do their own things isn't it right to do the same one self, it isn't that you abandon them.
We see ours on (both sides) as much as if we were back in the UK for if we still lived there we wouldn't be anywhere near the regions in which they live,with modern technology (skype and the likes) it's so easy to keep on touch.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Hi, in another thread, you mention buying property with your "partner", and I recommended consulting the Notaire as to how to protect each other.
You don't say whether you are both the biological parents of the adult children, but if not, this consultation is even more important, as, under French Law, the children will inherit their parent's share of the property, leaving the survivings partner in a predicament if they wish to move in or sell.
French Inheritance Law is a minefield for recomposed families, particularly if the couple isn't legally bound, and only the Notaire can find a legal solution in every one's best interests.
Back to the original question, I don't see any problem, until the adult children start producing grandchildren and the distant grandparents feel they are losing out.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

We did and probably see them and the GCs more hthan had we remained in the UK, Our offspring have been all over the place, currently one lives in jersey and the other in Cunbria but has lived in Germany, US etc.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Jovo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cad
You bring up your family the best that you can and give them a start in life and when they go out and do their own things isn't it right to do the same one self, it isn't that you abandon them.
We see ours on (both sides) as much as if we were back in the UK for if we still lived there we wouldn't be anywhere near the regions in which they live,with modern technology (skype and the likes) it's so easy to keep on touch.
Hi
Thanks for replying.
Myself and my partner are thinking of moving to france very soon. I have two daughters here in UK both adults. Iv had a few comments about leaving my family and just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and how they felt about it.
Thanks
Yvonne
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a very individual thing. How close is the family, how independent are the kids. Do they have babies or are they about to have babies, very often it's the idea of missing watching the grandkids grow up that people find hardest.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 7:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

The only comment I would make is that when the grandchildren come along, it is nicer to be close. My children have definitely missed out somewhat on the grandparent relationships because we moved away.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 8:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for replying.
Myself and my partner are thinking of moving to france very soon. I have two daughters here in UK both adults. Iv had a few comments about leaving my family and just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and how they felt about it.
Thanks
Yvonne
Hi Yvonne. My suggestion is to ignore other people's views, it's a decision for you and your partner to make. If the comments you mention in your post above are from people who are trying to lay a guilt trip on you, tell them to mind their own business. You've brought your kids up, they're adults now and can make their own choices - the same applies to you.

If you're undecided for your own reasons (not other people's reasons/judgments), then take your time to work through the pros and cons. You'll eventually arrive at the right decision for yourselves. Best of luck.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 8:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for replying.
Thanks
Yvonne
Sorry to harp on about the legal side, but if you die first, your daughters will inherit your share of your joint property and they would become joint owners with your partner, with all that that involves. If you will part of your property to him (I don't know to what extent that's legally possible, as you have children), he as an unrelated third party will have to pay 60% Taxe de Succession on the value of his share of the inheritance. (Normally your daughters would pay nothing.)
Likewise, if your partner dies first and has named you in a will, you will pay 60% Taxe de Succession on the value of his share of the property, which might mean having to sell it in order to be able to pay within a set time. If he dies intestate, you will get nothing and his share of the property will go to his next-of-kin, with all that that involves....
French Inheritance Law is so different, and I strongly advise you, before signing anything, to consult the Notaire as to how best to protect every one's interests!
Old Jun 9th 2017, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry to harp on about the legal side, but if you die first, your daughters will inherit your share of your joint property and they would become joint owners with your partner, with all that that involves. If you will part of your property to him (I don't know to what extent that's legally possible, as you have children), he as an unrelated third party will have to pay 60% Taxe de Succession on the value of his share of the inheritance. (Normally your daughters would pay nothing.)
Likewise, if your partner dies first and has named you in a will, you will pay 60% Taxe de Succession on the value of his share of the property, which might mean having to sell it in order to be able to pay within a set time. If he dies intestate, you will get nothing and his share of the property will go to his next-of-kin, with all that that involves....
French Inheritance Law is so different, and I strongly advise you, before signing anything, to consult the Notaire as to how best to protect every one's interests!
Are you sure? When my father died we did get something but not his whole share. Most of it still went to my Mum. She sold up anyway but 95% of it was hers.
A lot of it also came down to whether he was considered a resident of France or England. He had been living in France 23 years by then but it still wasn't a given that he was a french resident.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 10:21 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for replying.
Thanks
Yvonne
Hello

I think moving somewhere as close as France would be OK distance-wise. Don't get me wrong I'm no expert as I am in my early 30's with no kids! But from a logical point of view France is fairly close and accessible with cheap flights. I live in New Zealand and accessibility and cheap flights don't factor into the equation! You also don't have to worry about jet lag and hopping time zones. Popping back for birthdays, weddings, Christmas etc is doable so perhaps you wouldn't feel like you're missing out.

Just my two cents.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 6:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Are you sure? When my father died we did get something but not his whole share. Most of it still went to my Mum. She sold up anyway but 95% of it was hers.
A lot of it also came down to whether he was considered a resident of France or England. He had been living in France 23 years by then but it still wasn't a given that he was a french resident.
The OPs are "partners", which makes all the difference in France. Presumably your parents were married? in which case French Law attributes a certain percentage to the surviving spouse and the rest to the children....
I'm no lawyer, but I've had (and one day will have) personal experience in French Inheritance Laws...
Old Jun 10th 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure dmu has it right.
French inheritance is horrendously complicated (our notaire says the only happy families in France are those who have not received an inheritance). I could describe our situation, but it would not help, and would only further confuse everything.
SEE A NOTAIRE before you buy.

On the leaving adult children behind, we made a deliberate choice. Would they be more likely to visit us in sunny France? Or in grey and rainy Kent?
They both come three or four times a year, usually for a up to week or more. Plus the odd weekend. If we were still in Kent, we think we might see one of them for Sunday lunch once a month. And perhaps a couple of days at Christmas every other year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.