Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Language the only barrier

Language the only barrier

Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:26 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language the only barrier

Gosh Ka Ora, thought it was only GOD who had you on speed dial
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:27 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dmu
Potatoes at almost 1 € a kilo? They must be "bio" at that price and there comes a point when you have to choose between ecology and economy.... Also, I never eat sprouts in France, i) they are too expensive (and ii) OH doesn't like them anyway.) I eat them (and parsnips, unheard of in my area) in England when I go over on a visit and that suffices! It's certainly true that even humble veg like carrots, turnips, cabbage, have gone up in price in recent years. But then, so have wages.....

Nope. Today in SuperU they had a special offer - 5 kilo sack of normal spuds 5 Euros 45 cents. I NEVER buy bio, just regular stuff. Even the bloody rhubarb here is mad prices - a bundle of 6 measly stalks for 3,55. I live in the heart of farming country, Dept 53, so there is no reason for the fruit and veg to be so dear. I've had to restrict the amount of fruit my daughter eats for the first time in her life, and I had to leave the turnips behind today as they were 2,10 a kilo. I absolutely love my fruit and veg so am particularly upset by these increases.

Stanage - As for eating the "French way" - have you seen the price of fresh haricot vert? Even bread and cheese has gone up - unless you mean gathering snails from the garden and scoffing them?!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:28 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Gosh Ka Ora, thought it was only GOD who had you on speed dial
I enjoy what I do, so Im cheap. But effective. Always brings em back for more.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:46 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, you mean even God's on an economy drive?

Lawks, what chance have the rest of us got in Le Crunch de Credit if even "Our Saviour" has to get a mere mortal to fix his computer? Does that mean none of the disciples knows dick about binary or what? (I put this in to keep it about Language so I won't be "sent into the wilderness" of the Rendezvous)

No offence, Ka Ora, I didn't mean to insult you by implying you were mortal or anything ......
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Polly B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Hi Polly

I know I have posted on this matter before, but having been here over four years and meeting loads of ex-pats, I can assure you that getting work here is really hard, even if you have the language skills. I don't want to be a killjoy, really I don't but I know of two families who have gone back in the past few months, because they can't find work or can't earn enough on one wage to support a small family . I have a french friend who has a splendid CV (had a private meeting with US President etc), she currently works for the family firm, she has applied for other jobs but to no avail, she reckons there are 15 people for each job, minimum. I have another friend (teacher) who has been here 25+years and struggles to find work (she spent most of last year working in a care home in the UK)

You must realise that if you are an employer you have to pay immense social contributions and so to employ anyone is cripplingly expensive - one reason we don't want to employ anyone! Many workers are on fixed contracts as it can be very difficult to get rid of an employee.
There are loads of postings on employment on this forum, I recommend you read them. If you have a qualification it may be possible to convert this to a French certificate but as I understand it these are limited. (My design degree would be worth zip! ) Qualifications are a must-have here. Preferably French qualifications.

I personally wouldn't advise anyone to move over here without any income, especially if they have a family to feed. Sorry to be blunt, but I like to think am a realist . Frankly it can be tough with an income

It might take ages to learn French but it would take you even longer to get a job without it. Depends how committed you are, 120% minimum is about right

They used to say that living in France was cheaper than the UK, this may be so but the wages are less, often a lot less so it balances out. Supermarket prices are going up here just as in the UK, it is Europewide if not global. There are six in our house and I'm certainly noticing the price rises

So I'm sorry, this is not what you want to hear but you should be absolutely sure you can make this work, do your homework! Many things are more difficult here, if I was in the UK for instance I would have gone back to uni, don't have that option here.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that you are in this league, but when I told a neighbour in the UK we were moving to France, she said "ooh, we had thought about moving to France", oh, I said, really, "yeah, but we've never been to France... "

Sue
Thanks for your advice sue. Don`t apologise for being honest. These are the sort of things we need to know. It`s going to take a lot of very serious investigation. If it was just the 2 of us we`d go and try it out but with 3 kids you can`t risk it not working out.
Polly
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:50 pm

Blimey, you mean even God's on an economy drive?

Lawks, what chance have the rest of us got in Le Crunch de Credit if even "Our Saviour" has to get a mere mortal to fix his computer? Does that mean none of the disciples knows dick about binary or what? (I put this in to keep it about Language so I won't be "sent into the wilderness" of the Rendezvous)

No offence, Ka Ora, I didn't mean to insult you by implying you were mortal or anything ......
Gods always been on a budget, Why'd you think Jesus had no shoes. Don't get me started on the turning water into wine, he didn't have a Alcohol license.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:14 pm
Grey Bombshell

NOW you've got me, I'm not religious.

But talking of language, my ex was religious, I was not. We hadn't been in France long, only about a week I think, at his sister's place in Alsace. They mostly spoke German there, and our French wasn't A1 at the time. He got hisself in a right pickle with the neighbours, asking for directions to "le religious" (he wanted to go to church). I obviously wasn't with him.

After a lot of hand gestures and Gallic shrugs, and a German neighbour trying to help as well, (who really DID look like Herr Flick apparently) he followed the directions and came to a cake shop Le Patisserie. He found out later, "religeuse" is a cake in France, and I can wholeheartedly recommend them, as they are pretty yummy - lot more fun than a pew in a freezing Eglise with incense giving me hayfever that's for sure.

And I suppose a bloke who can do miracles doesn't really need a license for anything - isn't he impotent or omniverous or something?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:33 pm

NOW you've got me, I'm not religious.

But talking of language, my ex was religious, I was not. We hadn't been in France long, only about a week I think, at his sister's place in Alsace. They mostly spoke German there, and our French wasn't A1 at the time. He got hisself in a right pickle with the neighbours, asking for directions to "le religious" (he wanted to go to church). I obviously wasn't with him.

After a lot of hand gestures and Gallic shrugs, and a German neighbour trying to help as well, (who really DID look like Herr Flick apparently) he followed the directions and came to a cake shop Le Patisserie. He found out later, "religeuse" is a cake in France, and I can wholeheartedly recommend them, as they are pretty yummy - lot more fun than a pew in a freezing Eglise with incense giving me hayfever that's for sure.

And I suppose a bloke who can do miracles doesn't really need a license for anything - isn't he impotent or omniverous or something?
Im not either, Best thing to have faith in is yourself. I don't see god/dog paying off any ones overdraft.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Nope. Today in SuperU they had a special offer - 5 kilo sack of normal spuds 5 Euros 45 cents. I NEVER buy bio, just regular stuff. Even the bloody rhubarb here is mad prices - a bundle of 6 measly stalks for 3,55. I live in the heart of farming country, Dept 53, so there is no reason for the fruit and veg to be so dear. I've had to restrict the amount of fruit my daughter eats for the first time in her life, and I had to leave the turnips behind today as they were 2,10 a kilo. I absolutely love my fruit and veg so am particularly upset by these increases.

Stanage - As for eating the "French way" - have you seen the price of fresh haricot vert? Even bread and cheese has gone up - unless you mean gathering snails from the garden and scoffing them?!
Things seem to be cheaper in the 34, then....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:45 pm
Grey Bombshell

Oh, laugh, I read that completely wrong - I thought you meant you weren't impotent or omniverous, when you said "I'm not either", but of course, you mean you aren't religious either! (Sorry, got a bit distracted by Tom Cruise strutting his stuff in MI 2 with his exploding glasses).

Who says language can't get one in a pickle?
No wonder we are all making efforts to perfect our French .....

Well, I used to breed Labradors and they certainly paid off MY overdraft a few times! The stud fees sting a bit, but then you get 8 (if lucky) little bundles of pound signs, (sorry, puppies and at £500 a go, that sure helped put food on the table ....

Agree with the faith bit - self-belief is all one needs.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Just to add perhaps something more positive.

I had work within a month of arriving here and I live in a remote mountain village. Not boasting, just want to point out that it is possible. Not at the level I was working at in the UK, but for me that is a positive thing because frankly I was sick of too much responsibility and hassle.

It is perfectly possible to learn french, but it is WORK and it certainly does not 'just happen'. You have to really want to learn and be prepared to make a huge effort.

Thirdly, food costs are as you make them. We do not shop in supermarkets. We buy all organic from small shop in next village and the local market stalls. We cook everything ourselves from scratch. We grow our own veg, we eat a vegan diet. Not a choice everyone would wish to make, but it works well for us and adds greatly to the quality of our life.

Those who try to re-create their UK life but in a french environment may find life very challenging. Living here has enabled us to completely re-invent our lives and be more creative and fulfilled than ever before.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dmu
Things seem to be cheaper in the 34, then....
Just to add to the great popato debate, which surely needs its own thread, last week I bought 5kg of spuds in Lidl, I think 2.50€, which was a bargain compared to SuperU and Leclerc who were charging around 4€. The next day I popped into Champion for something and saw spuds at 1,50 € for 5kg, so I got some more I live in 41, bordering 37, a lot of fruit and veg are grown round here. Prices seem to vary wildly, last week I bought a cauli at 75cts, then saw them at 2€ elsewhere. We are fortunate to have loads of shops within 10-15 minutes drive, I don't actually spend all my time shopping but with my lot it sometimes feels that way!
Although as a farmer I do feel guilty searching out lower prices, somewhere down the line the producer loses out - maybe it is best buy direct if you can.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:45 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cupoftea
Just to add perhaps something more positive.

I had work within a month of arriving here and I live in a remote mountain village. Not boasting, just want to point out that it is possible. Not at the level I was working at in the UK, but for me that is a positive thing because frankly I was sick of too much responsibility and hassle.

It is perfectly possible to learn french, but it is WORK and it certainly does not 'just happen'. You have to really want to learn and be prepared to make a huge effort.

Thirdly, food costs are as you make them. We do not shop in supermarkets. We buy all organic from small shop in next village and the local market stalls. We cook everything ourselves from scratch. We grow our own veg, we eat a vegan diet. Not a choice everyone would wish to make, but it works well for us and adds greatly to the quality of our life.

Those who try to re-create their UK life but in a french environment may find life very challenging. Living here has enabled us to completely re-invent our lives and be more creative and fulfilled than ever before.
The last two lines say it all.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanage2
The last two lines say it all.
I don't think they do Stan to be honest.
Like in so many places, I really think it does depend on where you live, rather than how you live. Some areas of France are definitely more expensive than others. As cupoftea said, not many would be able to survive on a vegan diet as they do.
I think we have very few members on here who try to hold on to the way of life they had before moving to France. The pound/euro exchange rate has hit some people very hard, and when you add to that the increase of fuel, which in turn has pushed up prices in the shops, things are not as cheap as I know they were when we first arrived 7 years ago.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:56 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by val50
I don't think they do Stan to be honest.
Like in so many places, I really think it does depend on where you live, rather than how you live. Some areas of France are definitely more expensive than others. As cupoftea said, not many would be able to survive on a vegan diet as they do.
I think we have very few members on here who try to hold on to the way of life they had before moving to France. The pound/euro exchange rate has hit some people very hard, and when you add to that the increase of fuel, which in turn has pushed up prices in the shops, things are not as cheap as I know they were when we first arrived 7 years ago.

I think they call it inflation.
And in some parts, the French say,it is the people from outside France that have added to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.