Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Language the only barrier

Language the only barrier

Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:38 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language the only barrier

So many people feel nervous about not being able to communicate in French when they get there. When I moved over there 5 years ago, I had only a grade 5 French O level, done 32 years previously, and I was "bricking it" so to speak. But honestly, you will find you really can get by with very little French to start with, but if you feel that doing a bit before you actually go over will give you more confidence, then that would be the advantage - confidence. Because it is a lack of confidence that hinders most folk. You really will pick it up once you are there - it's almost unknowingly at first, then suddenly you start to understand more, then get more confidence and start to join in conversations etc. After about 8 months, I was translating my French neighbours' conversation to my daughter when she visited and she was totally amazed - I hadn't really even noticed it myself. Your English visitors will be the ones who will notice your progress.

Now, think of this: When you hear a French person speaking English, doesn't their accent sound lovely? Well I think it does anyway, and when we do our attempt at French we probably sound just as nice to THEM. And mistakes or getting stuck can be waved away with a laugh and a "je suis desole, Anglaise!!" and a Gallic shrug and they love it. And also, try this: think of 10 English people you know. How many of them do (or could) speak and write perfect English? Same with the French, we just don't know they aren't perfect because we understand their language even less than some of them do!

When you DO need it is for stuff like the compromis and legal documentation when you are buying, but so long as you get an English speaking Notaire you will be fine.

One tip: arm yourself with the Collins Robert French-English dictionary - on special on Amazon at the mo at £14.95, just got mine through. It's a godsend and if you are going to the supermarket/school parent meeting/Brico depot (and especially a posh restaurant) etc, just look up words beforehand you are likely to need and take a notebook and little pocket French dictionary with you. The notebook is useful to draw stuff in if you really get stuck.

Good luck.
Andy
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
And also, try this: think of 10 English people you know. How many of them do (or could) speak and write perfect English? Same with the French, we just don't know they aren't perfect because we understand their language even less than some of them do!

Andy
I think this is an excellent point Andy. I have learnt not to be afraid to make mistakes speaking german because I know that my mistakes are nothing compared to those that most germans make all the time. Last night I was in a pub in Mainz to watch some footy on Premiere and I got into conversation with a group of locals who's accents and grammar were truly horrendous. So what? We had a good chat and enjoyed the evening.

There's actually a huge amount of redundancy in conversational language, whether french, german, english, whatever. Just do it!

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 13th 2008 at 10:44 am.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polly B
It has taken my OH a long time to convince me that a move is the best thing for our family. The one and only thing holding me back is leaving family and friends. We`ve always talked about Australia, NZ OR Canada - never really considered closer to home, but the more I look into it and consider it the more it fills me with excitement. Relatives can visit and we can get home easily when needed.
I would have many doubts about moving further away, but the idea of moving to France makes me comfortable if you know what I mean.
What`s the cost of living like in France?
Look around on other threads on the subject of the cost of living. It was calculated that a frugal couple can survive on 900 € per month, but this does NOT include rent or mortgage repayment, just food, utilities, insurance, taxes, petrol... Calculate how much extra is needed to feed and clothe 3 growing children (cf another thread concerning the cost of children's shoes...) and to cover their inevitable extras. To give you an idea, 900€ corresponds to the take-home SMIC, the minimum wage full-time, so bear that in mind if your OH is offered a job in France.
On the subject of distance, I live in the Languedoc and, although there are Low-Costs in the region, it still takes me a whole day to get from home to the Sussex coast to visit family. Canada isn't all that far away by comparison....
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

elaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really nice

Hi all
I`m new to the forums so I`ll quickly explain our situation.
I live in Northern Ireland with J, my hubby and our 3 girls - 10, 2 and 6 mths. J has always been keen to move to another country for a better quality of life, more opportunities and better weather. I have finally come round to the idea, my only worry is about leaving behind much loved family and friends. Australia, Canada and New Zealand appeal very much to us but they`re so far away, so I would be quite keen to explore the possibility of France - It`s so much closer and only a quick, cheap flight away.
The only problem I foresee is the language. Obviously it`s best to learn before you go, but is it necessary? How well(or badly) would we get on with only our Gammar school basic French? How hard is it to pick it up once you get there?
Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice
Polly
PS sorry to anyone who`s already read this - realised I`d stupidly posted it in the Europe section instead of the France one.
Hi,

Personally, I don't think you can learn before you go. Of course, you can refresh your memory on basic school French and learn some key phrases, but that would only be sufficient to get you by on a holiday stay.

Once you live here you find that you need to know a lot more French to get by effectively. It's not so much learning what to say and how to say it, it's more about "hearing" French. We've been here 6 years (kids now 14, 12 and 9), and we still struggle especially on the telephone. Fortunately, our kids are now bi-lingual and are often our ears for us when we get into difficulty. Whilst that is clearly helpful, it can also be a hindrance because we are not then forced into braving it all by ourselves and jumping in feet first. You can only learn to speak and hear French properly by completely submerging yourself in it. I sometimes wish I had gone to school with my youngest from day 1 - I'd at least be as fluent as a 9 year old by now!

Not speaking French well is no real problem if you don't need to find employment here. But if you do, it's vital. Just being able to "get by" is rarely enough to secure any kind of worthwhile employment.

Sorry if this sounds a little negative - it's just meant to be realistic (speaking, of course, only from our personal experience).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Elaine S

Last edited by elaines; Sep 14th 2008 at 10:51 am.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I totally agree with elaines, I asked if I could go to school with my children, sadly I got a flat refusal!! After four years I am still having lessons, just waiting to find out if I can start a new course, they are a bit thin on the ground round here but free at least I absolutely love having lessons, can't wait for my rentrée!

My understanding is usually pretty good, I find if I spend the day in a French-speaking atmosphere I think and even dream in French, however at home we always speak English and have English TV which is annoying as I find even listening to my car radio in French is a great help. My husband is very outgoing and uses a mixture of French and English, normally people understand and it is a very little hinderance to business. folk seem to really appreciate his efforts and he has lots of friends If he gets stuck he takes along one of the children to translate.

I am a graduate but know I would be lucky to get even a cleaning job here if I had to look for a job, fortunately we are self-employed but I do have to deal with phone calls, letters, customers and random visitors to the farm. Some days I can cope perfectly with four complicated phone calls, the next someone will turn up in the farmyard and I will struggle to understand what they want. It can be very frustrating and knocks your confidence .

I now have a local paper delivered six days a week, so I will now go and read that, armed with my dictionary

Sue
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Elainelarkincarroll will become famous soon enoughElainelarkincarroll will become famous soon enough

You`re right dmu. There are so many things to seriously consider. A cv sent to Michelin would be a good start, as would some time spent there to suss out the area.
Elaine, I would love you to tell me more about the cons, but could you throw in a couple of pros as well - hopefully there are plenty!!
Well lets start with some real positive ones: The lingo! Believe it or not you'll sit at the dinner table one day and you'll say something to you kids in French and without even thinking (and only 2 seconds ago you were all gabbling in English) they will answer in French not only without hesitation but without even so much as a thought..... that is one HUGE pro.... it happend to us yesterday when my 6 year old who we thought was struggling clearly is'nt! Another one - the quiet roads... away from the cities and towns generally the roads I would say are 50% less busy than the YUK! Another one, Sundays, as old fashioned as it is, sunday really is a day of rest, mostly families spend the time together as a family doing what they do best and its wonderful. On the downside, apart from sorting health care, and getting into the "System", and the 1000's of "Fiche" or Forms as we call them, the French are stuck in the 1960's when it comes to doing anything, there are dozens of people to get through - you could see this as a pro though... as there is always a face when you need one. The biggest cosmetic "cons" are doggy doings in the street, and every other person smokes, publically, everywhere! If your a non smoker you need the patience of a saint. Generally speaking though the Wine and the Weather make up for all else, including the expensive supermarkets and the expensive kids shoes! Needless to say we still love it. x
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:48 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elainelarkincarroll
Well lets start with some real positive ones: The lingo! Believe it or not you'll sit at the dinner table one day and you'll say something to you kids in French and without even thinking (and only 2 seconds ago you were all gabbling in English) they will answer in French not only without hesitation but without even so much as a thought..... that is one HUGE pro.... it happend to us yesterday when my 6 year old who we thought was struggling clearly is'nt! Another one - the quiet roads... away from the cities and towns generally the roads I would say are 50% less busy than the YUK! Another one, Sundays, as old fashioned as it is, sunday really is a day of rest, mostly families spend the time together as a family doing what they do best and its wonderful. On the downside, apart from sorting health care, and getting into the "System", and the 1000's of "Fiche" or Forms as we call them, the French are stuck in the 1960's when it comes to doing anything, there are dozens of people to get through - you could see this as a pro though... as there is always a face when you need one. The biggest cosmetic "cons" are doggy doings in the street, and every other person smokes, publically, everywhere! If your a non smoker you need the patience of a saint. Generally speaking though the Wine and the Weather make up for all else, including the expensive supermarkets and the expensive kids shoes! Needless to say we still love it. x

Expensive supermarkets?
You live in France!!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Elainelarkincarroll will become famous soon enoughElainelarkincarroll will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stanage2
Expensive supermarkets?
You live in France!!
Believe it or not but food and groceries in france are expensive - particularly compared to the YUK! Justifyably the home grown stuff (fruit and veg) which you know has'nt been chemically altered is a bit more expensive, but other things are too, can't name anything specific as it all is (except wine of course!)..... . Cannot beat the quality of the meat tho - particularly the BEEF!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:41 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elainelarkincarroll
Believe it or not but food and groceries in france are expensive - particularly compared to the YUK! Justifyably the home grown stuff (fruit and veg) which you know has'nt been chemically altered is a bit more expensive, but other things are too, can't name anything specific as it all is (except wine of course!)..... . Cannot beat the quality of the meat tho - particularly the BEEF!
Sorry,
Think there must be two France,s
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:03 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry,
Think there must be two France,s

Aw c'mon Stanage, prices here in the supermarkets are just as dear as the UK now, maybe more - potatoes nearly 5 Euros for a sack of 5 kilos and sprouts so expensive we are rationed to 5 each! I've noticed a sharp increase in prices over the last 3 years.

Or maybe you have found a bargain basement? I use SuperU and Lidl, where do you shop?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:18 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Aw c'mon Stanage, prices here in the supermarkets are just as dear as the UK now, maybe more - potatoes nearly 5 Euros for a sack of 5 kilos and sprouts so expensive we are rationed to 5 each! I've noticed a sharp increase in prices over the last 3 years.

Or maybe you have found a bargain basement? I use SuperU and Lidl, where do you shop?
.....You eat sprouts...........
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Polly B is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like We`re going to have to find some French classes cos at least one of us is going to have to find work - this`ll be fun!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like We`re going to have to find some French classes cos at least one of us is going to have to find work - this`ll be fun!!
you can register in France and get classes for free. Good way to make a fool of yourself and meet people. I find that the worse you are the more people have time for you. Good luck and enjoy the experience.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Polly B is an unknown quantity at this point

wouldn`t that take ages though? especially for near novices like us
We`d need to be looking for jobs pretty much as soon as we arrive
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Expensive supermarkets?
You live in France!!
Not sure which supermarkets youl have but in the Perpignan and Montpellier areas (2 of which I have lived in in the past 7 months) the shops are very expensive. Carefour is probably the most reasonable or Auchen. I have a family, for a family of 4 my groceries come to over 160 euros a week - if I am lucky - and believe you me that is without any wine or other luxuary items. So I'll have what you've got if it's in France that is!!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.