Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / France

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 24th 2017, 5:43 pm   #1336
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,469
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellove View Post
Hey! It's so nice to meet you all. Good day...
Hi, and welcome to the France forum!
I see you have already posted on various other country forums. If you have questions on moving to France, post a New Thread in the main forum below, otherwise your post will get swallowed up by the next Introduction.
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:15 am   #1337
StenG 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
StenG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi there,
I am planning on moving to France with my wife this winter, heading towards Correze where I have French friends. I am a maintenance gardener and will be looking for work. Despite speaking good French there is a lot that is new to me and once I get going I am going to be full of questions mostly about bureaucracy!
StenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:39 am   #1338
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,469
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenG View Post
Hi there,
I am planning on moving to France with my wife this winter, heading towards Correze where I have French friends. I am a maintenance gardener and will be looking for work. Despite speaking good French there is a lot that is new to me and once I get going I am going to be full of questions mostly about bureaucracy!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the main forum below with your various questions, as your post will get swallowed up by the next introduction and may not be seen.
Meanwhile take a look at the Read Me: Moving to France FAQs, particularly Starting a Business (which you'll have to do as it's unlikely you'll find a salaried job in your field) and Healthcare insurance (the latest up-to-date posts). Upon arrival you'll need private healthcare until your professional status is organised and you're paying into the System. Also "Renting" if you intend to do so, or '"Inheritance Laws" if you are buying property.
Can your French friends on the spot advise on the potential market for your services? In my neck of the woods (rural), you'd have problems finding regular work due to the competition and the fact that many potential customers are tightening their belts due to the economic situation. Sorry not to be more optimistic, but fore-warned is fore-armed!
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 3:46 pm   #1339
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Location: Nanteuil-en-Vallee
Posts: 3
Piece Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi Everyone,
I'm already living in the Charente, just looking to make new acquaintances and friends (everyone nearby seems to be retired) in the 30s and 40s bracket :0)

I've got 2 small kids (6&7) and love it here, life has changed though so looking to meet new people - especially who understand how tough it is being a single parent in an adopted country!

Have a great day!
Piece Perdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:53 am   #1340
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,469
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Perdue View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm already living in the Charente, just looking to make new acquaintances and friends (everyone nearby seems to be retired) in the 30s and 40s bracket :0)

I've got 2 small kids (6&7) and love it here, life has changed though so looking to meet new people - especially who understand how tough it is being a single parent in an adopted country!

Have a great day!
Hi and welcome to the forum!
One way of meeting people and making friends is via your children - at the school gates, their friends' birthday parties, school, sports clubs or other activities.... You'll find that you aren't the only single parent....
You don't say whether you're working and how available you are, but there must be plenty of Clubs and Associations in your Commune that you could join and meet people with similar interests, at least during school time. Your Mairie will give you a list. Admittedly more difficult if the activities take place when there's no school and you have to find child-minders, but that's a personal choice...
Post again in the main forum below, as your present post will get swallowed up by the next Introduction.
Members will come along with other suggestions applicable nationwide, not particularly limited to the Charente....
Good luck!
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:33 am   #1341
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Helenaofthewest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello everyone,

I've recently moved to La Rochelle with my boyfriend. He is originally from Grenoble area. This is my first time living in France. I'm originally from St. Lucia (Caribbean), then moved to Florida, Netherlands, England and now here in France. I'm a psychologist and therapist, while he is an aeronautical engineer.

We are both mid-20s and don't know anyone in the area, so we are up for meeting new people and getting advice etc.
Helenaofthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:37 pm   #1342
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,469
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenaofthewest View Post
Hello everyone,

I've recently moved to La Rochelle with my boyfriend. He is originally from Grenoble area. This is my first time living in France. I'm originally from St. Lucia (Caribbean), then moved to Florida, Netherlands, England and now here in France. I'm a psychologist and therapist, while he is an aeronautical engineer.

We are both mid-20s and don't know anyone in the area, so we are up for meeting new people and getting advice etc.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
First question, if you are hoping to find work in your field: Do you speak French? and will your qualifications be validated in France?
Please take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs. below, particularly the "Partner Status", "Renting", the latest posts in "Healthcare", and other pertinent threads. If you buy property, and aren't legally bound, then you should ask the Notaire how best to protect your respective interests. Your bf may not be aware of the risks, and in fact, being French, won't see your situation from an expat's standpoint.
Post again in the main forum below, with more details about yourselves, as this post will get swallowed up by the following Introductions.
P.S. Are you British or EU? Presume that you don't need a Visa to live/work in France?

Last edited by dmu; Nov 29th 2017 at 12:40 pm.
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:08 pm   #1343
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Helenaofthewest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello everyone,

I am a dual-nationality (St. Lucian and British) psychologist/ EMDR therapist who has recently moved to La Rochelle, France with my French aerospace engineer boyfriend. He already has a job here in La Rochelle. We are both in mid-20s.

I do speak French (about B2) level and may start a course at the university for B2 french to improve my level and meet new people. As for this doing an official course- has anyone done this? Do you recommend it?

For my qualifications, the process is long with lots of paperwork... but I am in the middle of translating my diploma (Masters in Forensic Psychology) but I think it should be validated here no problem as I did the Masters in the Netherlands.

I am hoping to use my qualifications here, specifically offering EMDR therapy to first English speakers and then to French speakers as my french level improves. Right now, I am doing English lessons with locals but finding clientele for both the ENglish lessons and EMDR therapy is a slow process.

Being that I don't know anyone really here in La Rochelle, I'm hoping to meet new people and discover new things using this site.
Helenaofthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:09 pm   #1344
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Helenaofthewest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Thanks for the tips! I will be sure to read it
Helenaofthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:24 pm   #1345
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,469
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenaofthewest View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a dual-nationality (St. Lucian and British) psychologist/ EMDR therapist who has recently moved to La Rochelle, France with my French aerospace engineer boyfriend. He already has a job here in La Rochelle. We are both in mid-20s.

I do speak French (about B2) level and may start a course at the university for B2 french to improve my level and meet new people. As for this doing an official course- has anyone done this? Do you recommend it?

For my qualifications, the process is long with lots of paperwork... but I am in the middle of translating my diploma (Masters in Forensic Psychology) but I think it should be validated here no problem as I did the Masters in the Netherlands.

I am hoping to use my qualifications here, specifically offering EMDR therapy to first English speakers and then to French speakers as my french level improves. Right now, I am doing English lessons with locals but finding clientele for both the ENglish lessons and EMDR therapy is a slow process.

Being that I don't know anyone really here in La Rochelle, I'm hoping to meet new people and discover new things using this site.
For anyone, like me, who has no idea what EMDR means, here's the France site which explains all. If you yourself haven't already researched, you'll note that there are 3 EMDR-thérapeutes in La Rochelle alone....
I wonder whether you'll have to take an exam in French before your Dutch qualifications are validated here? I didn't read the whole site...
In order to contact any BE locals, post again in the main part of the forum, or do a forum search (button top right) and you'll find a few recent threads posted by relative newcomers to La Rochelle.
You could also go along to the Mairie to ask for a list of Clubs and Associations. You could join a couple and meet people with similar interests, with the added bonus of improving your French!
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:25 pm   #1346
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,469
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

ooops, here's the link:

EMDR France: Accueil
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / France


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:56 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com