Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Internet Tv dongle for French TV

Internet Tv dongle for French TV

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet Tv dongle for French TV

Has anyone used an internet TV dongle to watch french TV instead of buying a sat dish and box? If you can watch french TV online, there shouldn't be any reason why you cannot watch ia a dongle on your internet enabled TV?? Anyone tried this, or had problems with it?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:07 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Tv dongle for French TV

Hi bobbi, Googled your query and there's stuff on line for any software, some suggestions you can stream it free. Seems you do need hi-speed net connection, so if your dongle is like the O2 I use in UK just for simple web access it may not be good enough.
I am sure friends on this site will come back with better advice.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your advice. we are looking at a Samsung dongle which is compatable with our make of TV. this only works on internet enabled tv's, and the dongle has to be compatable with your make of TV. I have read that other makes of dongle won't work. It simply plugs into the side of your tv and works wirelessly....costs around £50 I think.
this way, the dongle enables your TV to pick up the web, and connects you to french television channels,if you can't be doing with setting up dishes etc, for eg, in our position being in rented accommodaton etc.
Will keep an eye out for further info, thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:59 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

So, it all comes down to the strength of the internet signal in the area you are basing yourself. I think I would ask for some serious demo before parting with the dosh. And some serious assurances. I am also fairly certain you can access info re hot and not spots for what is in effect WiFi access, but never needed to use it.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbi2
thanks for your advice. we are looking at a Samsung dongle which is compatable with our make of TV. this only works on internet enabled tv's, and the dongle has to be compatable with your make of TV. I have read that other makes of dongle won't work. It simply plugs into the side of your tv and works wirelessly....costs around £50 I think.
this way, the dongle enables your TV to pick up the web, and connects you to french television channels,if you can't be doing with setting up dishes etc, for eg, in our position being in rented accommodaton etc.
Will keep an eye out for further info, thanks.
Hi
I have a Samsung internet dongle which I bought before they are no longer available because their latest TVs come with wifi enabled.
It doesn't come with instructions but you can get these from the TV handbook or on the internet.
Do you need wifi or can you simply connect your pc to your tv with a network cable?
My SIL also has the latest Samsung with integral wifi.
If you have any questions then I should be able to find out for you,
The Samsung dongles should be easily available.
Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

we used a dongle last summer because we needed internet access from our house.

We had a pay as you go system but it was veering on a contract (not like the UK).

for simple emails and the odd search, it was cheaper to use the Tourist office at one euro per hour.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

I am not sure if these are the same thing as a TV dongle as it isn't the kind of dongle purchased from the likes of say O2?
Looks like the dongle just runs wireless and allows you to download French TV etc, as you would on a computer/laptop etc. Don't think it is a "pay as you go" in this instance.

Last edited by bobbi2; Mar 23rd 2012 at 7:31 am.