Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hello everybody.

Hello everybody.

Old Apr 14th 2018, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Ron76bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello everybody.

Hello everybody very informative forum im using this as a research tool for looking at moving to France in around 6 years time when i retire in the Normandy or Brittany region. Hopefully all goes well and we will be joining you all in the lovely country!!

Last edited by Ron76bay; Apr 14th 2018 at 12:02 pm. Reason: Research
Old Apr 16th 2018, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everybody.

Hello Ron, glad you're finding the forum useful.

Good choice of location

The playing field will likely look very different for Brits who make the move post-Brexit but there are several threads that touch on that and no doubt you're bearing it in mind,
Old Apr 16th 2018, 4:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ron76bay
Hello everybody very informative forum im using this as a research tool for looking at moving to France in around 6 years time when i retire in the Normandy or Brittany region. Hopefully all goes well and we will be joining you all in the lovely country!!
We started our French retirement plans about 10 years in advance, so you're doing it right. But as ET says, 6 years from now i.e. 8 years after the disastrous referendum, there are an unknown set of imponderables.

Bonne chance.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Ron76bay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, for the reply's It is a bit of a tricky one with my retirement i will still be able to work i was looking at working in the UK as a part time agency driver. But i have to look into how that would affect my family in France in the health care/ tax payments. And of course Brexit which seems to be taking forever for them to sort!!!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that unless there's a major U-turn on freedom of movement, the UK will no longer be included in the EU cross-border worker arrangements after B-day. From that point of view, if what you're planning is dependent on you continuing to work in the UK, you might need to move and get that set up before Bidet. At present, under EU rules the UK would be obliged to cover your family's healthcare in France via an S1, and my feeling is that on balance the strong probability is that Brits who as of Bidet hold S1s enabling them to take advantage of cross-border working arrangements, will be allowed to continue with the same arrangements, but it may not be possible to put new cross-border arrangements in place after Bidet. But as you say speculation is futile really and the worst thing is that TM seems to enjoy going right to the line with every agreement, so if she carries on like that there may be very little time to prepare once an agreement has been hammered out.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ron76bay
Thank you, for the reply's It is a bit of a tricky one with my retirement i will still be able to work i was looking at working in the UK as a part time agency driver. But i have to look into how that would affect my family in France in the health care/ tax payments. And of course Brexit which seems to be taking forever for them to sort!!!
That's actually your best hope.