Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Something I should know but don't.

Something I should know but don't.

Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Something I should know but don't.

Car insurance.

Is it the car or the named driver(s) who are insured in France?

My BIL/SIL are visiting for a week or two and are flying here. We have a spare car. Can they drive it with our permission?
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something I should know but don't.

It's a good question Novo, and one I had to give some thought to before answering.
I believe that your guests can use your insured car, but only for basic third party cover. If you have it insured fully com it's worth speaking to your insurance company or broker to see whether they will cover fully for a named driver(s).
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
It's a good question Novo, and one I had to give some thought to before answering.
I believe that your guests can use your insured car, but only for basic third party cover. If you have it insured fully com it's worth speaking to your insurance company or broker to see whether they will cover fully for a named driver(s).
Cheers Tweedie. the car is fully insured but I guess I'll have to pop in to the AXA agent to clarify.

Thanks.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Our agent wanted notified of a relative using our car and that he was over 21???. Can't remember what age it was.
Nothing to pay for the addition.
It is the car that is insured in France.
HTH
Old Apr 18th 2018, 6:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Our agent wanted notified of a relative using our car and that he was over 21???. Can't remember what age it was.
Nothing to pay for the addition.
It is the car that is insured in France.
HTH
+1
We informed our agent that our daughter would be driving our car. We had to pay extra all the while the "A" was stuck on, but after the statutory period, no extra to pay.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I also had a photo of his driving licence on my phone JUST in case it was needed e.g. to give any further details like his D.O.B.
It wasn't asked for but perhaps worthwhile having it.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

When I took out mine they asked me if I was likely to lend it to people and I said yes, so I think that in effect it's insured for any driver and I don't have to notify them of everyone who drives it. But if I had answered "no" I imagine I would have to notify them. So I think you need to check with your insurers what the situation is with your policy.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Legally the car is insured for 3rd party liability whoever is driving and with or without the owners permission. That is the extent of state agreement with the insurance industry.
Fully comp is different and is a contractual agreement between the insurance company and the owner of the vehicle.
Whether they will pay up a non liability claim depends on the company. As in UK they tend to squirm out of paying on any pretext. If an agent tells you your relatives can drive and the all risks apply get a confirmation in writing.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardi
If an agent tells you your relatives can drive and the all risks apply get a confirmation in writing.
You shouldn't need to ask, it would be strange if the policy documents didn't state exactly what is covered
Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
You shouldn't need to ask, it would be strange if the policy documents didn't state exactly what is covered

The small print is full of escape clauses. If the claim is small it may be OK depending on the insurance company but if any driver not specifically mentioned to the insurance company writes off your new Merc don't expect a quick pay out.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Our car is insured for anyone we give permission to to drive. Fully comprehensive as long as they have the correct documents of course. I think we pay a little extra but nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:39 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Our car is insured for anyone we give permission to to drive. Fully comprehensive as long as they have the correct documents of course. I think we pay a little extra but nothing to worry about.
Thanks gb. My guests aren't arriving for a couple of weeks so I've time to chat with the agent before then.