Reload this Page >

Installing a fosse septique

Installing a fosse septique

Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

gbrown_nz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Installing a fosse septique

Hi all

Great series of posts and very informative.

We've just bought a farm in Haute Savoie. It has an outdated septic 'system' that we have condemned. So basically in the first stage of renovation we will install a new fosse septique system.

My primary question which doesn't seem to have been covered in detail in previous posts, is; what is required for the l'etude géopédologique (soil testing) prior to deciding on the fosse septique to be used?

I understand that its main purpose is to define soil permiability and filtration rates which then determines the required tranchees d'epandage (drain field after the fosse septique.

What exactly does it entail? I know nothing!
- Is there an official body that provides the service with certification?
- Does it require a digger?
- Do they give a recommendation for the size of tranchees d'epandage
- What are the costs? We have been confused with differing costs based on variables such as the soil test itself, diggers etc welcome to France!

Lastly if anyone would like to suggest a fosse system (or general direction for us to start). That would be greatly appreciated.
-180m2 rectangle footprint at ground level, with two levels above (total potential habital 500m2. 2400m2 terrain with house in one corner.
- Separate apartment built at far 1/3 end, 100m2 on 1st and second floor. (2 bathrooms/toilets)
- Main house 400m2. 3 bathrooms 4 toilets.
- Number of people could be 4 in apartment and 4 in main house. Apartment and House under same roof, one building.

Thanks

Last edited by gbrown_nz; Aug 18th 2008 at 6:13 pm. Reason: update
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:48 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, hope you don't mind me popping in from Spain. I know nothing about the rules and regs in France but in general, the site investigation will be required to establish the slope of the land, the make up of the soil (clay/sand/gravel etc), the water table level and you will need percolation tests. This will entail trial pits and probes/boreholes.
This site, although American and hence in Imperial, will give you some further reading material for now!
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...es/DD0797.html
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Renauld will become famous soon enough

AFAIK the soils tests cost around 400 euros. They will bring everything they need including a hand operated core drill to take soil depth samples.

They will look at the slope of the land, it's permeability, the size of property and make a detailed suggestion of what they consider to be the most suitable system for your property.

Ask in your local Mairie - they should be able to give you a list of local companies to provide a soil test.

Once that's done you'll be looking for a digger or reputable company to supply and fit the system. Many Terracement companies fit septic tanks, they're not rocket science and can be done yourselves. However it helps to have digger driving experience, basic plumbing skills and common sense!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:06 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by herbie
I've just bought a house that needs a fosse. The area that we're going to doesn't have too many people there that can do the job. After various quotations, it seems that not one of them is honest or has any idea of service to clients. One for example, we were only permitted to contact by prior permission by email from his wife and then we could only phone at 1 o'clock! Another one quoted 3100 euros and this has since gone up to 5300 euros, giving us the reason that there is some rubble and that to dispose of this is classed as landscaping! To the tune of 2200 euros!

To cut quite a long story short, we have now decided to fit it ourselves. Can anyone give us any advice as to the actual installation. We've got a booklet from the Marie that shows what type of fosse we need and the position etc. If anyone has fitted a fosse themselves, are there any tips you could give us please.
I know its over a year now and you may not still post.but did you get your fosse in?
Stanage2
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

laidback.camper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stanage2
I know its over a year now and you may not still post.but did you get your fosse in?
Stanage2
I am new to this. i need to put a fosse into my new french home,can anyone give me a ball park figure as to the cost?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laidback.camper
I am new to this. i need to put a fosse into my new french home,can anyone give me a ball park figure as to the cost?
Hi there, welcome to the forum
the subject has been covered quite a bit in the past, such as in this link here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450414
and here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=450414&page=3
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Renauld will become famous soon enough

A rough figure for a new 3000 liter fosse installation is around 6000 Euros with a sand filter - cheaper if it can have drainage ditches (Diagram of ditch layout can be seen on this page about septic tanks in France