Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Inheritance, Taxes & all things inbetween. Help!

Inheritance, Taxes & all things inbetween. Help!

Old May 24th 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

RALPHI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inheritance, Taxes & all things inbetween. Help!

Hello. I have a lot of questions and very few answers which is why im here. I'm looking for help regarding inheritance and taxes and how to go about it. I found a very good website regarding inheritance tax; etc. I'm just lost as where to go from here.

So a few years ago I found out my father had passed away. He had no will and his personal possessions are unaccounted for. I was told by his sisters that he had purchased some land in the south west of France, Pau area some 30 yrs or so before. I have a sister who seems not very interested in this situation, but for me it's very intriguing and need to learn more. I have no idea the size of the land, where exactly, the value and a lot of other things like if there is any back taxes.... Help would be great. I tried to find a land registry but just came across old genealogy websites.

Hope there is someone to enlighten me as to my next steps.

Sincerely
Ralph
Old May 24th 2014, 3:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inheritance, Taxes & all things inbetween. Help!

Originally Posted by RALPHI
Hello. I have a lot of questions and very few answers which is why im here. I'm looking for help regarding inheritance and taxes and how to go about it. I found a very good website regarding inheritance tax; etc. I'm just lost as where to go from here.

So a few years ago I found out my father had passed away. He had no will and his personal possessions are unaccounted for. I was told by his sisters that he had purchased some land in the south west of France, Pau area some 30 yrs or so before. I have a sister who seems not very interested in this situation, but for me it's very intriguing and need to learn more. I have no idea the size of the land, where exactly, the value and a lot of other things like if there is any back taxes.... Help would be great. I tried to find a land registry but just came across old genealogy websites.

Hope there is someone to enlighten me as to my next steps.

Sincerely
Ralph
Hi, again. I'm not one of the experts I mentioned on the Welcome Forum, but have your father's sisters told you where and when he died? If it was in France I'd suggest talking to the mairie and perhaps from there to whichever notaire dealt with his matters.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hi, again. I'm not one of the experts I mentioned on the Welcome Forum, but have your father's sisters told you where and when he died? If it was in France I'd suggest talking to the mairie and perhaps from there perhaps to whichever notaire dealt with his matters.
Hi. I think I should of said that he died in the US and that I found out only by doing a search for him. Even his sisters didn't know he had passed away. So I have no contact directly as I don't speak French. My sister does but seems uninterested to help. I tried numerous times to try and pry more information but I keep coming up blank.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I think I should of said that he died in the US and that I found out only by doing a search for him. Even his sisters didn't know he had passed away. So I have no contact directly as I don't speak French. My sister does but seems uninterested to help. I tried numerous times to try and pry more information but I keep coming up blank.
Ah, I see. That's tricky. I guess it might be worth hiring a US private investigator to at least figure out the where and the when at that end.

I'd have thought that if he's bought land in France, there must be some record of it somewhere. If the French authorities haven't been informed of his passing, I presume it'll still be in his name.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd have thought that if he's bought land in France, there must be some record of it somewhere. If the French authorities haven't been informed of his passing, I presume it'll still be in his name.
If it's any help, the Land Registry is "Cadastre" in French, but you'd have to know in which Commune the property is located, and enquire at the Town Hall. Or contact all the local Notaires to see which one dealt with the sale, and go on from there...
Good luck!
Old May 24th 2014, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Ok well that's great. I've a lead to follow at least. I spoke with the funeral home and the ME when I found out he had died. As it was over 2 yrs all his assets went to the State. But the law in France says that we have 10 yrs as his children, to claim. I will try and find out more to narrow down the area of France but I remember as a child going to Pau. Maybe I start there.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:03 pm
Born again atheist

Ok well that's great. I've a lead to follow at least. I spoke with the funeral home and the ME when I found out he had died. As it was over 2 yrs all his assets went to the State. But the law in France says that we have 10 yrs as his children, to claim. I will try and find out more to narrow down the area of France but I remember as a child going to Pau. Maybe I start there.
Good luck.