income ideas

Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

dorothy t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default income ideas

Hi everyone,

I 'm in the Uk and doing a bit of research to see about renting in France but cant find a way to bring in some money while I'm there . I also looked at Spain as I have stayed in both places and both have advantages and both are nice . Does anyone in France have any info how other's have made it out there and wouldn't mind passing it on. I have just looked into a well known imobillier to be a property agent but it's commission only and I cant live off fresh air or maybes. Any ideas would be pleased to hear.

Thanks d t
Old Apr 27th 2017, 6:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: income ideas

Originally Posted by dorothy t
Hi everyone,

I 'm in the Uk and doing a bit of research to see about renting in France but cant find a way to bring in some money while I'm there . I also looked at Spain as I have stayed in both places and both have advantages and both are nice . Does anyone in France have any info how other's have made it out there and wouldn't mind passing it on. I have just looked into a well known imobillier to be a property agent but it's commission only and I cant live off fresh air or maybes. Any ideas would be pleased to hear.

Thanks d t
Hi, how is your French? and what qualifications/experience have you got? Would you hope to make some money in France to supplement a private income from the UK or a Pension?
Without knowing your circumstances, I can only say that the unemployment rate has just gone up again, and is currently double the UK rate. Not only among the unskilled, but also among the (bilingual) skilled.
Take a look at some of the threads in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above, particularly "Renting" (regular income requirements), "Healthcare" (the most recent posts concerning the PUMA system for inactifs if you aren't in receipt of a UK State Pension).
You may do better to consider Spain, where the bureaucracy might be less of a hassle for British expats...
Old Apr 27th 2017, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

In another post, you said that you recently had a health scare.
As dmu has said, unless you receive a UK State pension, then you will not be covered for healthcare in France.
Also, if you are no longer resident in the UK then you are no longer covered by the NHS.
This may change (not for the better) after Brexit.
Personally, I would not move to France unless I was either retired with sufficient pension income or had a job offer.

Last edited by cyrian; Apr 27th 2017 at 6:31 pm. Reason: addition
Old Apr 28th 2017, 6:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
In another post, you said that you recently had a health scare.
As dmu has said, unless you receive a UK State pension, then you will not be covered for healthcare in France.
Also, if you are no longer resident in the UK then you are no longer covered by the NHS.
This may change (not for the better) after Brexit.
Personally, I would not move to France unless I was either retired with sufficient pension income or had a job offer.
+1
@Dorothy
I missed that, also the fact that you have to wait several years for your Pension. Which means that, if you decide on France, you'd have to take out private healthcare insurance for the period between arriving and applying for PUMA (the EHIC wouldn't be valid) and when you're in the System, you'd be advised to take out a Mutuelle (Top-Up insurance) to reimburse what the Social Security doesn't. Unless your Doctor declares you have an ALD (long-duration ailment), you pay up-front and the S.S. reimburses about 70%. This applies to all French people. If you've had a health scare, you should take these financial aspects into account.
I'm sorry to add that "Seniors", together with the 18-25s, are in the age-groups most affected by unemployment. Even if you're bilingual, you'd be competing with bilingual French candidates for any jobs going, and French companies tend to give priority to their own....
Sorry to be so blunt, but, as Cyrian infers, it's not a good idea to come to France without an adequate Pension or a job lined up.
Good luck with your decision!
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Hi to all and thanks for replies and info . I will do a bit more of reading up on things. I worked in retail for most of my employment and I am trying to learn French. It s just a few people have told me some expats find ways to earn a living out there but don't say what it is so I came on here to see if anyone had the information. I may be best looking at Spain as suggested . I had lots of tests for my stomach and it made me think about things . I m ok just have to watch what I eat as I have a hiatus hernia which I take tablets to help control it. I feel I should give up my ambition and wait for the grim reaper but It was a wake up call after the tests and think if you have things you would like to do find out if there's a way to do it.

Thanks Dorothy
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all and thanks for replies and info . I will do a bit more of reading up on things. I worked in retail for most of my employment and I am trying to learn French. It s just a few people have told me some expats find ways to earn a living out there but don't say what it is so I came on here to see if anyone had the information. I may be best looking at Spain as suggested . I had lots of tests for my stomach and it made me think about things . I m ok just have to watch what I eat as I have a hiatus hernia which I take tablets to help control it. I feel I should give up my ambition and wait for the grim reaper but It was a wake up call after the tests and think if you have things you would like to do find out if there's a way to do it.

Thanks Dorothy
Income and healthcare problems will be the same in Spain I'm afraid, knowledge of the language is everything if you need a job, unless you are prepared to work silly hours for less than the minimum wage 'on the black' in a bar or something
Old Apr 28th 2017, 10:20 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Dorothy
If you need a change, have you considered moving elsewhere in the UK? No problem of language, no problem of healthcare cover,....
A lot of people come to France and set up gîtes, B&Bs, ... but, on the other hand, a lot of people fail to earn enough money to live on. Others set up a business structure to work via internet, but an adequate knowledge of French is IMO indispensable in order to cope with the bureaucracy involved.... Many younger people get by "under the radar" doing bar/café work, but it can't be a comfortable life, looking over their shoulders all the time...
Old Apr 28th 2017, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Hi , yes I could move to another part of the UK but the rent here and house prices are expensive. But the language is as you say not a problem . Also I like a lot about France. I don't like what's happening to the UK . I had to report abuse recently from 3 primary school children in the nice village where I live, there's no discipline and no respect for anyone . In France the children greet you because they have more respect. There's also the money we are wasting and our resources on many who are not contributing to the UK. the housing is a big problem now along with other things. When I was abroad I paid for insurance to cover any health problems . I believe we should not expect to be given anything unless we have worked for it. I have worked 34 Year's but I cant get a bus pass for a 60 yr old yet I know of many 62 , 63 have one. I can't retire till I'm 66 if they don't put the pension age up again. I tried job hunting before the health scare I handed a few CV s out and most don't bother to let you know but 2 places were still advertising so it may have been my age, I was 59 then. I think we all have dreams and this is mine to live in a bit more civilised country where standards are still in place and not feeling intimidated by young youth's and children .
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dorothy,
I do agree with you that in my experience, the children I have met have been more respectful than in the UK. However, that is a generalisation and I also know many respectful children in the UK.
France has its fair share of layabouts and beggars and a walk through any large town will show that.
In France pensioners do not get free bus passes; automatic free healthcare; dental care or eye tests.
If you do not have insurance, you have to pay the GP for each visit and also the pharmacy for any prescriptions.
Their health service is also struggling to meet demand.
Pensioners have to continue to pay French NI contributions unless they are on low income.
France also wastes loads of taxpayers' money on its social care and bureaucracy.
I can totally sympathise with your dream - France can be a great country to live in - but it also has it's problems and the French have many of the same complaints that we have.
If you decide to come to France then I would suggest that you have at least one year's money in savings (probably safer with 2 year's money).
Good luck
Old Apr 28th 2017, 4:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi , yes I could move to another part of the UK but the rent here and house prices are expensive. But the language is as you say not a problem .
Have you considered Eire? I would in your shoes.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me if this sounds ageist but I think you may have left your plans rather too late.

We made the move here gradually and even then we were told we were being rash. We took early retirement from our principal jobs and at 50 became self-employed having just bought our French house in a place we had come to know over many years and one of us has excellent spoken and writen French which is very important.

We lived between the two countries for the next 10 years, partly because of elderly parents, meanwhile renovating the French house. We could still work in whichever country we were.

However when we sold up in the UK and made our home here thus becoming liable for tax here it was no longer worth my while contuing to work as, even though I was over 60, the social charges made it ridiculouslyly low paid due to our UK pensions.

If you want to be impulsive then either be young or wealthy enough to cope. We did the impulsive bit in our 20's and never regretted either those six years or the life we live now. Cyrian is right about having some funds behind you.

However good luck in whatever you decide
Old Apr 29th 2017, 2:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of looking for live-in housekeeper work?
Old May 1st 2017, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi there , I know I may have left it a bit late as you say. We don't always have a say in our destiny or fate what ever you want to call it. I thought I had things sorted but unfortunately things have not worked out as I had hoped. So yes I may have left it a bit late but I have been told and read you are never too old so while ever I have the will I shall keep trying to find my bit of a corner of happiness which I don't have right now. Sometimes things work out as you had planned and sometimes things go against you no matter what you do and then you find like me holding on to what bit left there is . I will not stop hoping I will always keep trying . I will with the good grace of God get there . Please don't judge as you never know what others have gone through and endured. I had a serious health scare last Year and it made me sit up and take stock of my life and this is why I am trying to find a better life than what I have now. I never judge anyone or their circumstances because I don't know the full picture.

I have got savings quite a bit but don't want to say on this website from the sale of a cottage just sold in France . I want to hold onto this money incase I need it . I have 5 years before I get my pension and I may have to use some of this before then. I had money some years ago but didn't invest as I should but it was used for other things . I learnt the hard way and I won't do the same again. this is the reason I asked for ideas on earning a living in France but instead I get told your too old left it too late. I respect what most people have said as their advice has been to help not to try and make me feel inferior or less than themselves. I did think it strange no one had been a bit too negative . I am also battling depression which is a result of people being really nasty and very cruel towards me which I had no control over . I have like many people had to deal with some terrible things I wouldn't wish on anyone but I'm still here and fighting with what life has dealt me. I 'm proud of what I have achieved so far and I'm glad I can still think it's not over yet, and never give up.
Old May 1st 2017, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Just seen your mesg , Yes have thought of live in house keeper work but don't see any job vacancies for this kind of work. If you know of any I would be interested, and thank you for the idea .
Old May 1st 2017, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Cyrian, thanks for the information . I only came on here to get ideas after doing a bit of research for jobs . I was told there are Xpats in France who are earning a living but not what it was . I appreciate all the knowledge from everyone who has given me advice but in a friendly way . I have been offered work with an estate agent but it's commission only and that wouldn't be any good. I do have savings but as I cant retire till 5 years and don't want to use what I have in the event I will need to use it. I could try to get work here for a while then see if I can come over for holidays like a casual job or something like that if at all possible. I know people are entitled to their opinions . I know it's a dream but I have had a bit of a rough time over the last few years like lots of people out there have and this is why I'm holding onto it because after the health scare it was like waking up and thinking what have I got , and what do I want out of life. I don't have a lot right now in terms of happiness so only I can try and put it right which is what I'm trying to do. I know it's not perfect in France and they have their strange ways and lots of red tape not to mention wasting paper and the trees they must go through. I have to keep my dreams alive or I have nothing to hold on too and then I may as well give up but it's not in me .

Thanks dorothy t

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.