Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

I want to learn french in the dordogne....

I want to learn french in the dordogne....

Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:36 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I want to learn french in the dordogne....

Originally Posted by Le Chant
It's not about seeking penpals Ka. Maxime, given the chance, has something to offer people within the French section of the board. She said that in her post which was deleted. She's a student, speaks pretty good english and would like to learn more with a view to working in England this summer.

Mod, supermod - whatever. Wrong is wrong. It should not be that anyone who posts here or anywhere should be above criticism.
I don't see it like that, I spent to long in the Army. Rules are Rules. And in this case rule 14 applies being a Super Mod on a site as diverse as BE is hard work as we expect to have slack cut sometimes, It applies to all.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about seeking penpals Ka. Maxime, given the chance, has something to offer people within the French section of the board. She said that in her post which was deleted. She's a student.
I thought Maxime was a boy's name??? Or is it like Camille, Dominique, Claude & Co.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by dmu
I thought Maxime was a boy's name??? Or is it like Camille, Dominique, Claude & Co.
In England it's a Girls name. Hi happen to have a Friend called that who I used to Dive with.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
In England it's a Girls name. Hi happen to have a Friend called that who I used to Dive with.
OK, but Maxime IS a boy's name in France. On the other hand, I've just remembered there's a town called Ste Maxime in the Var, so the name is bisexual. From the public posts, it wasn't possible to know the gender of the present Maxime. Sorry for the confusion and no offence to anyone...
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by dmu
OK, but Maxime IS a boy's name in France. On the other hand, I've just remembered there's a town called Ste Maxime in the Var, so the name is bisexual. From the public posts, it wasn't possible to know the gender of the present Maxime. Sorry for the confusion and no offence to anyone...
Max is cross gender in the UK, There are quite a few names that I cant think of of the top of my head that swap gender with borders.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the French boards are concerned, you'll always be a stand-in. We have a much-loved moderator who we all know and respect. Sometimes we see jdr here too. Very, very seldom we see Mitzyboy. You? Never. It's the first time I've seen a post 'moderated' by you in here in the time I've been a member.

Again, learning a new language is a necessity for many of us that choose not to settle in an english-speaking country. Many of us struggle to learn, and welcome any chance we get to do so. If you think it's a matter for admin now, you should have left it alone then, but flagged it to them.

If you can't see how it's patronising, then I can't help you. Thanks for not popping in again.
Im afraid you are very wrong Le Chant I probably am here more than you are checking posts and threads as and when they are made from 8 am in the morning through to the early hours on and off. So I am not a stand in, I have been here all the time. I have been a moderator for all of Europe since I have been a moderator.

Pollyana as a super mod covers the whole forum ... everywhere, and will mod as per the rules laid down as do we all.

Frankly its a little bit rude to lay into her like that but, hey, I guess thats what mods are for .... there to be shot down

Even if Val comes back, we will always be here in the background helping to enforce the rules and working to keep it a good place to be.

And now, if you have any more criticism or comments to make about moderation matters we would appreciate it if you would direct them to admin or even me if you feel the need

Many thanks
Mitz
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Max is cross gender in the UK, There are quite a few names that I cant think of of the top of my head that swap gender with borders.
My daughter's name Laurence, for one. We had to put it in second place in order not to confuse the English family....
My OH's nephew had Jean tagged onto his name Dominique in order to avoid confusion at school in France, and since.
Jean when written is confusing in the UK.
Gilles changes to Giles, but the equivalent for Gill/Jill in French (Gillette) has become obsolete....
Vivien (male in French)/Vivian
Lilian ( " " " )/Lilian
There must be more, I'll have to consult my Saints' Calendar!!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
My daughter's name Laurence, for one. We had to put it in second place in order not to confuse the English family....
My OH's nephew had Jean tagged onto his name Dominique in order to avoid confusion at school in France, and since.
Jean when written is confusing in the UK.
Gilles changes to Giles, but the equivalent for Gill/Jill in French (Gillette) has become obsolete....
Vivien (male in French)/Vivian
Lilian ( " " " )/Lilian
There must be more, I'll have to consult my Saints' Calendar!!
You do have to be careful, When we named our son we did not think about how it would affect him in France he has faired well as it's Jude, Our daughter was a bit more complicated as I had picked Téa for her but in England could of caused issues so I sat down with a pen and paper when she was born wrote Téah on it turned it to the nurses and midwifes asked them to pronounce it and bingo same as the way we did. And she a little angel
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify I deleted Maxime's first thread, as she only posted looking for a penpal. We often get threads like this started all over the forum and generally I remove them because otherwise the site would get inundated with them. At the end of the day this is a site for expats to connect with each other, not a penpal site.

Also Super Mods are not "Stand In" mods for any forums, because they oversee ALL forums.

Thread closed

Sue