Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to learn french ?

How long did it take you to learn french ?

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:08 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long did it take you to learn french ?

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
This is ouai too complicated for me. Oc aye.
Well I thought it was funny anyway
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Well I thought it was funny anyway
Wee did too. ;-)
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:16 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinates me too Brenda. That's why we went down to carcassonne a few weeks ago. Especially after reading 'Labyrinth' by Kate Mosse. It's a ripping good yarn, and tells the tale of the original Inquisition (nothing to do with nice red uniforms...). Read it, and you'll be entranced by life in the middle ages in the south, in the Pays d'Oc....the country of Oc, NOT France!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:47 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
Wee did too. ;-)

*groaaaaaaaan* That's not bad for you jdr!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Am looking for a good read Le Chant so I will try that one, thanks.

Stanage2, the sound is more like an a.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:31 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Collioure_Bee
Am looking for a good read Le Chant so I will try that one, thanks.

Stanage2, the sound is more like an a.
Coll. Your a champ, have you started the French lessons yet,and would it be possible for you to ask your teacher if she would have time for more pupils;
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Have I started yet? Wey! LOL. No, am waiting til I get back from England in two weeks and she finishes her shifts working on the little train in Collioure for the summer.
She is a lovely lady and I am sure she'll have room for more.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collioure_Bee
Have I started yet? Wey! LOL. No, am waiting til I get back from England in two weeks and she finishes her shifts working on the little train in Collioure for the summer.
She is a lovely lady and I am sure she'll have room for more.
On the train or teaching ?

Either, im free!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:38 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themoose
On the train or teaching ?

Either, im free!
Reincarnation!!!!!!!!

John Inman is not dead, he is house hunting in France!!!!1
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sadly she ain't moose, she's married!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:29 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on a minute - Kate Moss has written a book? Sweet Jesus, it comes to something when models have to resort to that sort of thing - did Rimmel get some sort of brain in gear at last or what? Presumably we now have the humongous pleasure of reading more pearls of wisdom - I am still getting over Jordan's tome of maturity and command of the iambic pentameter ......
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:21 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

A more mature Kate Mosse with an 'e', I'm afraid Andy. This one has definitely got the hang of the iambic pentameter!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Roon has a brilliant futureRoon has a brilliant futureRoon has a brilliant futureRoon has a brilliant futureRoon has a brilliant futureRoon has a brilliant futureRoon has a brilliant future

A good way to learn French is on the building sites but as with UK building sites the language can be too colourful it does guarantee a wide variety of accents to bend your ears around however.

I did this AND a 5 week course to get a bit of self confidence in the language going.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roon
A good way to learn French is on the building sites but as with UK building sites the language can be too colourful it does guarantee a wide variety of accents to bend your ears around however.

I did this AND a 5 week course to get a bit of self confidence in the language going.
i can swear, but cant lay bricks. Does it work the other way around as well?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themoose
i can swear, but cant lay bricks. Does it work the other way around as well?
No, you just drop bricks when you repeat in polite French company what you have just learnt from your earthier friends.
In case of doubt here are a few earthier terms which you don't usually find in the language courses but which might get you into - or out of - a jam.
merde - shit
putain - whore but used where we might use bitch, not for polite company but builders, people in bars use it frequently. Confusingly it is also the word for a full stop grammatically.
punaise - used as a politer substitute for the above
baiser is a kiss as a noun but to use it as a verb is to f*** someone. (The asterisks are not for your sensibilities but to get this past the censors.)
jouir is to come in the orgasmic sense
Tais toi - shut up is used very frequently almost in a sense of 'what do you know about things?'
Un escroc/ escroquerie con man/ confidence trick
Quelle conn/ connerie What nonsense/ foolishness/idiocy
Nom de Dieu for goodness sake
Often the phrases are repeated for emphasis e.g. Tais toi, tais toi
No doubt other forum members can add their own local variants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.