Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to learn french ?

How long did it take you to learn french ?

Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How long did it take you to learn french ?

Originally Posted by Collioure_Bee
A yellow card stanage, naughty naughty lol.

I am so naive Ka, I only found out this week what all those women sitting on plastic chairs on the road between Jonquera and Figueres were doing.
Well as long as you didn't join them.....
The one on one er, sorry, the one to one, er no, the private lessons certainly sound the best way forward.
I just have memories of long sunny days in the days when England used to have a summer, sitting gazing longingly out of the window while the French teacher droned on. Bless her, I now realise she was probably as bored as we were. But she did instill into us the French pronunciation of the alphabet - invaluable with my name, and she also encouraged us to get our lips moving and say sounds like 'eu' in a sort of rather refained Penelope Keith type way. Apparently English speakers are very lazy when it comes to using their lips (no rude comments please). So keep at it CB. It is worthwhile and you live in such a lovely part of France. I'm not trying to show off. I'm just trying to share what I'm learining because I find everyone else's comments so helpful.
A + (That is business speak at the end of emails for A plustôt/ speak to you soonest.)
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

My sister's boyfriend's Dad is a French teacher and I got a few extra lessons from him before I came to France. We were practising the err noises by gathering up flem in the back of the throat and pretending to spit afterwards - it must have been quite bizarre sight/sound for any fly on the wall.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Sounds lovely g j b.

I can remember the French lessons at our school brenda. Mrs Gout (flavour????) or Gout The Boot. They were so boring, and just like Eddie Izzard goes on about in a very funny skit. The monkey is in the tree should ring a few bells to anyone that has heard it.

You keep at me Brenda, I'm certainly keen to learn now.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Sounds lovely g j b.

I can remember the French lessons at our school brenda. Mrs Gout (flavour????) or Gout The Boot. They were so boring, and just like Eddie Izzard goes on about in a very funny skit. The monkey is in the tree should ring a few bells to anyone that has heard it.

You keep at me Brenda, I'm certainly keen to learn now.
I'll think of you when my man friend tells me jokes which are only funny in Occitan and then looks really nonplussed at my deadpan response. Fortunately he also tells jokes in French and sometimes, just sometimes, I laugh at the right moment
Old Sep 30th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

'Scuse my ignorance, but what is occitan?
Old Sep 30th 2008, 5:37 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

'Scuse my ignorance, but what is occitan?
It's the old French Dialect used I think in the more southern regions see Here
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
It's the old French Dialect used I think in the more southern regions see Here
Very interesting site. good old Wikipedia. This maybe why you're having trouble with speaking to the locals CB as they probably lapse in and out of Occitan where you live and it can vary from village to village. My friend is a Gascon and can understand Spanish but claims that he is too old to learn English, although he can show a surprising turn of phrase on occasion.
The Occitan history is fascinatting. They probably originated from Crete or perhaps even further East. Their religion known as Catharism to us was dualistic and they were the original heretics so persecuted by the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages. In fact it is only because of the age of the computer and the meticulous records kept by the inquisitors, which are now available to more scholars that we are beginning to find out more about them. They travelled across northern Italy, Southern France and along the coast of Spain and Portugal. In beliefs they had links with the Zoroastrans, the Minotaur of Crete, the worship of Sulis/ Minerva as visible at Bath and may well have been non-romanised Christian escapees from the Roman Empire where the Christians certainly persecuted the 'old believers'. The knightly chivalric code may well have been a secret code for believers. Rather than actually worshipping a lady from afar they were actually worshipping a female deity like Mary, mother of Jesus. They were Christians but they were dualists and their beliefs and their different racial roots brought them into open conflict with the Catholic Church leading to the first genocide in modern history. France in the Middle Ages was actually a very small country, little more that the Isle de France, but it was the ultimate suppression of the Occitan race during the hundred years war that brought about the unification of France as we know it. Uh oh, I'm rabbiting on a bit here. Sorry, I just find the whole thing fascinating.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

A yellow card stanage, naughty naughty lol.

I am so naive Ka, I only found out this week what all those women sitting on plastic chairs on the road between Jonquera and Figueres were doing.
What what................i need to know.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:29 am
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themoose
What what................i need to know.
Well, you remember all those years ago, when your mum or dad said, 'you've reached the age where we need to have a talk with you about the facts of life.......????
Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ewood
Well, you remember all those years ago, when your mum or dad said, 'you've reached the age where we need to have a talk with you about the facts of life.......????
Yes
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themoose
Yes
No Moose, you're i france now. That should be Oui
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Or, if you are round here, "wey"
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:10 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Or, if you are round here, "wey"
Is the (e) said as a or e.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stanage2
Is the (e) said as a or e.
This is ouai too complicated for me. Oc aye.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:29 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
This is ouai too complicated for me. Oc aye.
The others will know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.