Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How do I get a French Shotgun licence in France.

How do I get a French Shotgun licence in France.

Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:56 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get a French Shotgun licence in France.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
CS,
Either .177" (4.5mm) or .22" (5.5mm) pellet rifles are allowed up to a max power of 16.27 Joules (12 ft/lbf). The former caliber being the most popular, as the higher pellet velocity (relative to a .22 rifle of the same power) means they fly with a flatter trajectory over the distances involved. One downside however to the smaller, lighter .177 pellet is that it can be affected more by light crosswinds.
HERE's the link to FTS rules in France.
An air rifle should always be covered during transportation, I'd advise a lock-up case for added protection and safety, although believe it's not mandatory. No reason either why it should be presented/shown if ever stopped in routine road check - unless specifically requested.
Thanks again Tp, For a while I thought the new rules might tighten up Air Rifles as well.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

stationmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: How do I get a French Shotgun licence in France.

Hi folks Having only just joined the forum I am jumping in a bit but I would like to obtain a European shotgun certificate to enable me to take my gun to the UK with me when returning for instructions. Perhaps tweedpie might be able to let me know how, and where to obtain the paperwork, he seems very knowledgeable.

stationmaster
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stationmaster
Hi folks Having only just joined the forum I am jumping in a bit but I would like to obtain a European shotgun certificate to enable me to take my gun to the UK with me when returning for instructions. Perhaps tweedpie might be able to let me know how, and where to obtain the paperwork, he seems very knowledgeable.

stationmaster
Good question. Not sure however whether I can give you the answer you want.

Firstly, can one assume you reside in France and have a valid Permis de Chasse or Licence de Tir?
Note: Up until Sept 2013 a shotgun was classed as Cat. 5, and unless expired, your permit is still valid under this Cat. From that date, all new permits (and renewed permits) are now classed as Cat. D-1-a (ex Cat.5) - application de la loi No. 2012-304 du 6 Mars 2012.
In the case of a lever action hunting rifle, these too were classed as Cat. 5, now re-classed as C-1-b.

If you are visiting the UK (or any other EU country) for a 'Competition Event', and wish to take your own personal arm, as you are rightly aware you require a CEAAF (Carte Européenne d'Arme à Feu).
Now - and this is the intriguing bit - you mention that you wish to take your gun to the UK with you when returning for instruction. My personal definition would be that this is not for competition use, and I believe this would equally be the definition by the French CEAAF issuing authorities. This is perhaps the first thing to confirm - although I'm not sure by whom.
One thing's for sure, once you have obtained the CEAAF (which I believe is valid for 5 years), you will also need to obtain a written invitation or proof of registration in an official shooting competition, which specifies the date and place of the competition, for presentation to the authorities at your point of exit/entry.

The CERFA 10832-01 application form can be downloaded HERE.

- Complete CERFA 10832-01 in duplicate, keep one copy for yourself.
- Attach a photocopy front/back of your ID or Passport.
- Attach an 8€ 'timbre fiscal'.
- Attach copies of authorisation document(s) for each weapon you wish to take on the CEAAF.
- Attach proof of residence.

Good luck. I'd be interested to hear how you make out with the CEAAF and your trip(s).

By the way, your interpretation of my forum name made me smile. Guess I may have to create another avatar to suit.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:55 am
Just Joined

soufle is an unknown quantity at this point

hello ,Ive been following this thread with interest.The original enquiry was from someone with no shot gun licence. Is the process any easier if one has a UK shotgun certificate already ?. Hubby and I are contemplating retiring to France .His main hobby is clay pigeon shooting .His grasp of french language so far is very poor so I consider that the test described earlier may be beyond him .Could he take his gun with him on the UK licence and convert in due course (when he's got a better grasp of the lingo ?)
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soufle
hello ,Ive been following this thread with interest.The original enquiry was from someone with no shot gun licence. Is the process any easier if one has a UK shotgun certificate already ?.
I can't see it would make any difference. With or without a UK shotgun licence one would have to start the official procedure here from scratch.
Hubby and I are contemplating retiring to France .His main hobby is clay pigeon shooting.
And I suggest that he carries on if/when you settle in France.
His grasp of french language so far is very poor so I consider that the test described earlier may be beyond him.
I would agree. But he wouldn't need to take that test unless he wanted to hunt - the requirement of which is Le Permis de Chasser.
Could he take his gun with him on the UK licence and convert in due course (when he's got a better grasp of the lingo ?)
I'm sure it's been done in the past, but legislation does change, and I wouldn't know what the procedure is with either UK or French authorities. One possible stumbling block (although not insurmountable) is that his current shotgun would probably not have French proof marks - which I believe is now a requirement, although I'll stand to be corrected on this.
Based on your info, if it were me I would sell - even a prized possession - before arriving and buy new or s/h here. Plus the gunsmith would prepare the documents during the purchase and clear them with the Prefecture. And he would also inform you of local Ball Trap (or other) shooting clubs which one needs to join in order to obtain your Licence de Tir.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:58 am
Just Joined

stationmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How do I get a French Shotgun licence in France.

TWEEDPIPE You, sir are a true gentleman, your information is the answer to questions I have been searching the internet for ages (Probably me asking the wrong questions). I am returning to the UK this week for lessons and will enquire about competition/ instruction validity. I will indeed let you know how I get on with the license application.
I would like to apologise for misreading your forum name, should have gone to specsavers!don't change anything as it will only confuse me further.

Many, many thanks
stationmaster

If any other clay busters read this and have knowledge of any ball trap clubs near me I would appreciate details. I live near Avallon in the Yonne and am prepared to travel reasonable distances for the pleasure

Best wishes to all
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stationmaster
TWEEDPIPE You, sir are a true gentleman, your information is the answer to questions I have been searching the internet for ages (Probably me asking the wrong questions). I am returning to the UK this week for lessons and will enquire about competition/ instruction validity. I will indeed let you know how I get on with the license application.
I would like to apologise for misreading your forum name, should have gone to specsavers!don't change anything as it will only confuse me further.

Many, many thanks
stationmaster

If any other clay busters read this and have knowledge of any ball trap clubs near me I would appreciate details. I live near Avallon in the Yonne and am prepared to travel reasonable distances for the pleasure

Best wishes to all
It looks as if there are two clubs in your area - HERE
Bon tir.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Based on your info, if it were me I would sell - even a prized possession - before arriving and buy new or s/h here. Plus the gunsmith would prepare the documents during the purchase and clear them with the Prefecture. And he would also inform you of local Ball Trap (or other) shooting clubs which one needs to join in order to obtain your Licence de Tir.
hello Tweedpipe , thank very much for your reply. It wont make hubby happy as he's very attached to his old gun and the one he's just acquired. Still ,that dosnt alter the facts.I'll pass the good news along and retreat !
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by soufle
hello Tweedpipe , thank very much for your reply. It wont make hubby happy as he's very attached to his old gun and the one he's just acquired. Still ,that dosnt alter the facts.I'll pass the good news along and retreat !
Don't assume it's impossible. Someone else may be able to suggest if it would be possible for you to get a European Shotgun Certificate issued by the UK authorities, and bring it over legally when you arrive. Put the question to your local licensing officer who I presume must make the periodic safety check chez vous that shotgun is secure in locked safe etc.
I'd be interested to know how that transpires. Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:52 am
Just Joined

thanks Tweedpipe , he is a member of CPSA and the other association who's name I forget.(you can tell I'm heavily into shooting cant you ?) Maybe they will be able to shed light on this.When/if I find anything out I'll report back.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I went back to the uk for a charity clay pigeon shoot. Loved it. I'm going to look into joining a ball trap club
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by loy loy
I went back to the uk for a charity clay pigeon shoot. Loved it. I'm going to look into joining a ball trap club
Excellent!
Definitely an invigorating outdoor sport, that should appeal to all ages and personalities, incorporating skill and determination, extreme concentration and rapid reactions - at least that's what motivates me to shooting sports.
Since I was involved in clay shooting some time back, all sorts of eco improvements have been developed. I note that biodegradable clay targets, low-noise degradable wads, and cartridge recycling are now frequently the norm. And believe me, the French generally enjoy having a Brit in their midst, as it frequently adds to the camaraderie of the club, and above all, you certainly learn a lot.
A few months back I took a friend (who is an ardent golfer) and his wife to our indoor 25 meter shooting stand. Under strict guidance I allowed them to try a 22lr, then progressing to larger caliber revolvers. At the end of the session they were jubilant, and confessed at it being one the most concentration intense, but pleasurable sporting experiences they had ever experienced. A true sport that fortunately one can still enjoy in France.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Excellent!
Definitely an invigorating outdoor sport, that should appeal to all ages and personalities, incorporating skill and determination, extreme concentration and rapid reactions - at least that's what motivates me to shooting sports.
Since I was involved in clay shooting some time back, all sorts of eco improvements have been developed. I note that biodegradable clay targets, low-noise degradable wads, and cartridge recycling are now frequently the norm. And believe me, the French generally enjoy having a Brit in their midst, as it frequently adds to the camaraderie of the club, and above all, you certainly learn a lot.
A few months back I took a friend (who is an ardent golfer) and his wife to our indoor 25 meter shooting stand. Under strict guidance I allowed them to try a 22lr, then progressing to larger caliber revolvers. At the end of the session they were jubilant, and confessed at it being one the most concentration intense, but pleasurable sporting experiences they had ever experienced. A true sport that fortunately one can still enjoy in France.
I'm a keen golfer and I wonder if that's why I did ok. Hand/eye and all that. At least I thought it was ok. 45/100

ten different stands of 10 clays. Last stand I got 10 out of 10
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:11 am
Just Joined

celerfo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, query with similar elements but not quite. Perhaps someone here can help me?

I moved to London last year due to my job. I haven't shoot in the UK yet and I'm not planning to. I was invited to shoot in France this (and every) November.

I googled the following already:

Non-French licences in France
The practice of hunting in France by French or foreign non-residents who are holding a hunting licence issued from a country other than France is subject to the validation of these documents under the rules applying to the delivery of a hunting licence in France. (Para ver que implica esta "validation": Chasser en France en frances!)

My question is: as a London resident interested in shooting in France, am I expected to apply for a shotgun certificate at my local UK police station?
https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates is that it? Can I then validate my UK shotgun certificate with the French shooting association and hire the insurance required below?

Insurance
Hunters have to have insurance (Assurance obligatoire de responsabilité civile) and must carry proof of their insurance (attestation d’insurance) when hunting. To have their hunting permit validated they must show proof of insurance:
Centre de Documentation et d’Information de l’Assurance
At: 26 bd Haussmann, 75311 Paris Cedex 09
Website

or what? Thanks!

Juan
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

@celerfo,
Welcome to the forum. This is something I'd like to help with, but having never been a hunter, my knowledge is limited, especially relating to UK licences, conversions, insurance etc.
Do you already have a UK licence? If not I believe this should be your first move.
As you wish to hunt once a year in France, if it were me I'd join a clay pigeon club in UK, and practice a few times a month in order to reach a certain proficiency prior to the season opening in France. I'd also purchase my own shotgun, as generally the stock should be tailored to the customer.
If you don't join a club in UK to practice, and only come once a year to France, I believe the simplest solution would be to hire a shotgun in France - the party you plan to shoot with should be able to provide more info.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable may be along to advise you further.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.