House damage

Old May 27th 2012, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

tmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nice
Default House damage

Hi
My husband and I have bought a house in dordogne and although we pop over there quite a bit we don't actually move there till July. I've just received a really disturbing email from a neighbour saying she'd been told a tree from our back field has fallen on another neighbours house (whom we dont know) and he had to phone the pompiers to remove it. He has also contacted a bailiff to testify it and gone to the town hall for our address to send the bill. We have no detail of what actually happened or which neighbour it is and have heard nothing yet. Has anyone any idea what we should do next? We have house insurance but not sure if it covers something like this, any advice would be gratefully received.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:07 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House damage

Originally Posted by tmw1969
Hi
My husband and I have bought a house in dordogne and although we pop over there quite a bit we don't actually move there till July. I've just received a really disturbing email from a neighbour saying she'd been told a tree from our back field has fallen on another neighbours house (whom we dont know) and he had to phone the pompiers to remove it. He has also contacted a bailiff to testify it and gone to the town hall for our address to send the bill. We have no detail of what actually happened or which neighbour it is and have heard nothing yet. Has anyone any idea what we should do next? We have house insurance but not sure if it covers something like this, any advice would be gratefully received.
Im not 100 percent but it should be covered on you building liability insurance, But the best thing to do is contact your insurance company we do everything through the broker we purchased it off they are normally very helpful. It would help if you found out a lot more about it, As if the Tree was within a party boundary it could possibly be the other persons insurance that has to pay as it is jointly owned unless at some time one household has signed off responsibility for the boundary.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; May 27th 2012 at 9:12 pm.
Old May 28th 2012, 6:55 am
Just Joined

french_help is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

If the tree is on your property, and fell on someoneelse property
your are responsible. Your insurance covers the damages on the
others land, and maybe yours (depending on your contract).

Usually you have 5 days to declare the accident, dont miss this date

cm
Old May 28th 2012, 7:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Send copy of your neighbour's email to your Insurance Company by Registered Letter today (if Whit Monday isn't a public holiday in the UK) or tomorrow, with a covering letter, to declare the incident. It and the neighbours' Insurance company will (normally) sort it out between them, but you must declare it within the time-limit.
Good luck!

Last edited by dmu; May 28th 2012 at 7:53 am.
Old May 28th 2012, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

tmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nicetmw1969 is just really nice
Red face Re: House damage

Hi
thanks guys for your advice. We've made a few phone calls today and firstly the damage isnt as bad as it initially was thought (and thankfully no one was hurt)! Secondly our public liability insurance will cover it and the insurance company was extremely helpful. So relief all round - and what a way to meet our new neighbours!!!!