Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hourly rate for gardener

Hourly rate for gardener

Old May 19th 2017, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hourly rate for gardener

Originally Posted by dmu
We didn't have to send receipts to the Fisc last year (first time on-line) and I presume that they cross-checked our details with the artisans concerned. If there's no sign of the work in their Déclarations, then the Fisc will probably contact you for an explanation.
I can't really see the fisc going through the artisan's declaration cross checking every single entry. I would imagine that as long as the person is registered a registered provider of services � la personne, they accept what is written on the form in the majority of cases, and only follow it up if the person you claim to have used isn't registered, or if your form happens to be chosen at random for a spot check.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Update to let you know that we have found not just a gardener but a handyman, through local friends. All above board and he did a brilliant job on the garden yesterday for 350E less than we were quoted originally.

Same man is coming back tomorrow to install new mosquito screens. What a find!

Last edited by grannybunz; Jun 7th 2017 at 1:01 pm. Reason: sanrly up wordings
Old Jun 7th 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Update to let you know that we have found not just a gardener but a handyman, through local friends. All above board and he did a brilliant job on the garden yesterday for 350E less than we were quoted originally.

Same man is coming back tomorrow to install new mosquito screens. What a find!
Good result.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I could write a short book about our experiences here with gardeners - although I won't - it would never be a best-seller.
Always treated them with respect, always paid them the correct going rate, maybe 'spoilt' them in some ways, with coffee on arrival early morning, followed by another coffee and Hobnob's or Custard Creams an hour or so later. Ditto for pm.
For one reason or another they didn't give us the service we required (even a seasoned 'pro'), wouldn't promptly return our tel calls/ or generally show that they were dedicated gardeners.
The last one was the worst, suggested by our next-door neigbour - who used him for no more than an occasional visit - so that should have put a flea in my ear. A nice enough, real 'hippy' type, who's partner would call quite often to say he couldn't make the arranged, fairly early, morning appointment (guess he sufferered from a sticky-matress too). Again, if it was raining slightly on a given fixed day, he would call to say the weather wasn't right, and cancel. This happened several times, and on one late May or early June day around midday he said to my wife that he wouldn't be back in the afternoon, as it was too hot, and feared getting sun-stroke. Needless to say he was 'kicked into touch'.
This year we have a local, fairly shy, new young chap, who's parents are in the gardening/landscape business. Did a reasonable day's work in January, and was here again yesterday. He declined all offers of a beverage - as he did on his first visit. Said he had to leave a little earlier that expected yesterday for another appointment - which was ok with us, as he promised to be back all day next Tues.
Having a walk around afterwards, I noticed he had left a pair of long handled loppers beneath a cherry tree, and mentioned it to Mme. At the end of the afternoon, I heard her go out to the garage and open her car door. I asked her what she was doing, and she answered, "Just going in the car to give the gardener back the thing he forgot". I said she had to be joking. To call him, and if he needed it before next Tues he should call round for it. This time at least she listened to me.
This morning getting the car out to go shopping, she said she was first handing back the gardner's tool as she had to drive past their place anyway.
Bless her, did I mention she is an extremely soft-hearted (crazy?) person.....?
My mother was exactly the same. Heart of gold! One day in UK they had a council sponsored, 'Help The Aged' team of 3 guys come round to redecorate their bungalow. The estimate was 2 days to complete. My father told me that every time mum put the kettle on (he's convinced it was almost every half-hour), she asked the workmen if they would like one. They never refused an offer! Long story short, the results by all accounts were "pretty good". Time taken, 4 days. They knew when they were onto a good thing!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 10th 2017 at 1:56 pm.