Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Homesick in France! Help

Homesick in France! Help

Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick in France! Help

Originally Posted by Reggi
Hi, Im new to all of this, but Id like to say when I moved to bretagne on my own with 2 children(4yrs ago),I too felt like giving it up. I perservered and am now loving it. The only thing I felt I was missing was someone to share my achievements with, untill fairly recent. I found a site called <Snip re rule 9.> and met a wonderful man on there (also an expat). We,ve been in a relationship for 18months now and life is fantastic. Im so glad I never gave up and went home.Look at what I would have missed uot on if I had!!!
Pleased for you.
Its so good that we all find something in life. It goes to show that life isnt a quick fix, but in the end if you nevr give up things can always change for the better.
Many congrats, hope things continue to work out
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Ali. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bec
Hi guys

How is everybody? Thanks for the helpful advice and lovely comments. I've had a difficult couple of days with the children really scared about going back to school tomorrow. Not in for a fun morning! My heart really goes out for them, poor things. Wish I could go through it instead of them. But I am always at my best when others are at their worst, the hive of positive thinking, that's me at the moment!! I am taking each day as it comes and not looking too far ahead, I am thinking of all the aspects we have improved by being here and not thinking of what I've left behind, the secret to contentment I think.

I was planning a trip back to England with the children at Christmas, but one of you mentioned how it disrupted their childrens progress, and after the last couple of days with my two, I am thinking it may not be a good idea. I think I need to concentrate on making our first christmas in our new home a really special celebration, especially as it is our first christmas with our baby. It will be the first ever year we will be able to have the BIGGEST christmas tree up and still have several options as to where to erect it!

I will definately look up some of the other web sites you have all recommended, and I'll let you know how the children get on at school tomorrow. Merci et bon nuit!
Hey Bec,
You sound just like me. We moved here 5 years ago and I'm still moaning about being lonely, board, too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, always muddy, isolated, well the list goes on and on really and don't even get me started on the language. But I have to tell you that last year my husband said to me, if you're really that unhappy we can sell the house and go home. I jumped at the chance and told all our friends, we're leaving!!! But in the end after thinking it through I just couldn't do it. When I sat down and thought about it properly I had to admit we have a much better lifestyle out here, and we have some of the best friends we have ever had, even if they're not just around the corner as I'm use to. We spend allot more time together as a family, and are really close because of that. We also have the opportunity to have some great weekends away in the summer thanks to the great weather and gorgeous countryside, mountains and beeches. And as for the kids, well, they were 6&7 when we came over, and never had much of an opportunity to just go out to play as I did as a child, the roads were far too dangerous for the kids bikes, and they didn't have a garden big enough to kick a football, so they spent far too much time in front of the telly.. They have loved spending there childhood in france, and speak french like the locals.

I think what I'm trying to say is give it time, I know people don't like me to say it. But what you need is an English friend who you can go and have a moan to whenever you feel down, and end up laughing about how nuts we all must be to move to a country where they eat frogs and snails, when we cant even speak the language. Oh, and as for the bullying, we had that too, also by an English girl, the school did nothing so I sorted it with the chilren and there mothers, it's not ideal but I had no other choice.

I do feel for you and wish you well.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this.
Totally agree with your comment about finding a friend you can talk to and have a laugh with. Makes such a difference, wherever you are, even if you are back in UK and moved to a new town.
If all else fails - you can post on here
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

LizB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I'm also new to this forum and can completely relate to everyones moans and groans. I have good days when I think this is the loveliest place on earth to live and then other times I feel so homesick. And yes, after 4 years I still call England "home". When will that change, I wonder?
For me, things are starting to improve now my young child is at nursery and I am starting to make some French friends. This seems to take an age, they seem very suspicious of this English nutter that wants to make friends!!
Sometimes I feel that it is very backward here and new ideas aren't exactly welcomed with open arms...I find that frustrating but have to remind myself that it is this ruralness (new word?) that led us here in the first place. I want my cake and to eat it too... simple, country life but with the odd take away and indoor play centres!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizB
Hi there,

Sometimes I feel that it is very backward here and new ideas aren't exactly welcomed with open arms...I find that frustrating but have to remind myself that it is this ruralness (new word?) that led us here in the first place. I want my cake and to eat it too... simple, country life but with the odd take away and indoor play centres!!
Ruralness love it.

Cant beat a new word.

If cake is what you are after, the friends are the ingredients. Sometimes its takes a while to get them to rise. After a while, with the oven pre heated they come out looking and tasting taste good. But you have to have them undercooked or overdone once or twice before you find they are just right. But then they come out tasting so much better.

That having been said my cooking is poor so i still cheat and buy them (now and then) from M&S, but no one has noticed.

Keep cooking
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

LizB is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing is, the French think us English can't cook to save our lives!! In my case there is a grain of truth in this..
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:37 pm
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LizB
The thing is, the French think us English can't cook to save our lives!! In my case there is a grain of truth in this..

So is that new about the brits.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by septimus
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:44 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by septimus
Ahem, she said English... I'm welsh and can cook a mean dish

Plus, after seeing spam with a prune on top as a starter, I am now under the impression that the french, mostly, cannot cook!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol

Plus, after seeing spam with a prune on top as a starter, I am now under the impression that the french, mostly, cannot cook!
Tasty meal. ;-))
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:56 pm

Im rather fond of welsh cakes.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:37 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Im rather fond of welsh cakes.

Welsh cakes are far better than french tarts
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:38 pm
La petite noblesse

Originally Posted by jdr
Tasty meal. ;-))

Exact! Takes me fondly back to the 80's!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Exact! Takes me fondly back to the 80's!
Spam or corned beef omelettes.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:40 pm

Welsh cakes are far better than french tarts
Not forgetting a nice Drop Scone......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.