Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Homesick in France! Help

Homesick in France! Help

Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of
Default Re: Homesick in France! Help

Well i'm cured!!!!!!

After spending 3 months here in Barbados I no longer feel homesick for the UK - Though now both me and harmony are feeling very very homesick for France,

I think because we often have fond memories of a place and we know where things are that we tend to have a bit of reverse grass is greener syndrome and think 'well if i was in the UK i could.......' but the truth is back in the uK we were all probably in jobs we didnt much like, in a shoebox house probably with no sign of greenery for miles. Im actually finding myself now thinking 'if only i was in France i could..... ' because of that Harmony and myself have decided to cut short our trip by 2 weeks and are coming home... just gotta get used to the cold again
although as much as i hate to admit it i even miss the cold - i think we all need seasons nothing beats that feeling when spring starts to come and the anticipation as to whether its going to be nice today.

PJ
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:39 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulajayne
Well i'm cured!!!!!!

After spending 3 months here in Barbados I no longer feel homesick for the UK - Though now both me and harmony are feeling very very homesick for France,

I think because we often have fond memories of a place and we know where things are that we tend to have a bit of reverse grass is greener syndrome and think 'well if i was in the UK i could.......' but the truth is back in the uK we were all probably in jobs we didnt much like, in a shoebox house probably with no sign of greenery for miles. Im actually finding myself now thinking 'if only i was in France i could..... ' because of that Harmony and myself have decided to cut short our trip by 2 weeks and are coming home... just gotta get used to the cold again
although as much as i hate to admit it i even miss the cold - i think we all need seasons nothing beats that feeling when spring starts to come and the anticipation as to whether its going to be nice today.

PJ
Yes its cold get used to the idea of it.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
cold, cold - you don't know the meaning of the world.
You ask Novo what it's like to be cold
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by val50
Hi Val
Hopefully we'll be finding out soon - weve had a provisional yes for our residency visa for Canada, based on the score thing just sent the remaining paperwork off.

PJ
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by val50
I spent a year at Batus i know what cold is.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!

thats it shatter my illusions heres me thinking its gonna be getting warm when i get there

pj
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by paulajayne

thats it shatter my illusions heres me thinking its gonna be getting warm when i get there

pj
You cant keep up with it at the mo last week it got up to 37 in the sun here today it has snowed all day go figure.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Flutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant future

Well last year, we arrived back in Normandy in April from a holiday in Florida, just in time for the Easter weekend.

All our winter clothes stayed firmly in the cupboard, and we sat in the garden in the swimsuits & shorts from our suitcases and ate salads under the (still bare) apple trees!!

Easter will be earlier this year, lets hope we can do it again!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterfly
Well last year, we arrived back in Normandy in April from a holiday in Florida, just in time for the Easter weekend.

All our winter clothes stayed firmly in the cupboard, and we sat in the garden in the swimsuits & shorts from our suitcases and ate salads under the (still bare) apple trees!!

What day is it in France now then
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:00 pm

If you were going to give children eggs you have missed the boat
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Flutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant future

OMG I knew I should have had less G&T last night. I am in USA at the moment, and yes we have had Easter, I suppose I really meant when we go back in April...but just didn't engage brain before putting pen to paper! Thanks for the tip about the Easter Eggs
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:44 pm

OMG I knew I should have had less G&T last night. I am in USA at the moment, and yes we have had Easter, I suppose I really meant when we go back in April...but just didn't engage brain before putting pen to paper! Thanks for the tip about the Easter Eggs
It doesn't help to draw on the screen or write on it. thats what the keyboard is for......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Funny
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:21 am
Just Joined

DandM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bec
Hi to anybody who reads this

I am new to chat rooms, haven't got a clue about the ins and outs, but I found this website whilst trying to find out prices for the TGV, so thought I'd have a go to see if anyone can give me a boost of moral!

I moved to France with my husband and children two months ago and so far I'm finding it very isolating. My OH was a navy lad and used to traveling, so could lay his hat just about anywhere and call it home. Me on the other hand have left my childhood home of Dorset, does anyone know it? Coast and countryside, no city smog to talk of, no hoodies or gang trouble. Why did we leave you may ask? House prices are HUGE, wages are LOW, I have just had my 3rd child and my husband just left the navy. Coming to France has enabled us to buy a much larger house, albeit to renovate, without the need for a mortgage. No chance of that in England let alone Dorset.

I hoped to meet other young(ish) families through school, but have found most of the british community to be of retirement age around here. I am somewhat tied with my 8 month old baby, and my two older children are in school, 5 miles away, and the fact that I am the only driver of the family. Therefore, no chance of joining any french classes at the mo; no babysitter and no other taxi driver for school trips or shopping. My life has gone from being a working Mum, with a hectic social life, to being a sit at home housewife, waiting for the next trip to school or the supermarket/builders merchant.

I love renovating but my little angel doesn't give me much chance to get involved, apart from the odd bit of tradifarging or housework! My husband has got more than enough to keep him busy, and just tells me to stop being negative about everything, any attempt at spilling my heart out just ends in huge rows. I really want it to work here, especially as I've left my job and taken the kids out of a very good school, but I can't help feeling a bit cut off and lonely. Did anyone else feel like they'd made a big mistake to start with? If they can tell me their happy endings I would be more than grateful!
Hi Bec.. I'm new to this site and your email has just come up to the top of the pile.. I'm wondering how you feel now and did your parents come over this month still?

I live in Dorchester at the mo but moving to toulouse quite soon for a year or two years. I also have children, one is 3 and the other is 10 months. My husband is from West Bexington and was wondering if he knew you as you are the same age as us.....!! small world..!

Dawn
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50;
Hello, hello, hello ...what's all this then? It's no colder in the GTA than it is in Halifax val. Stop spreading scurrilous rumours.

Originally Posted by paulajayne;
Hi Val
Hopefully we'll be finding out soon - weve had a provisional yes for our residency visa for Canada, based on the score thing just sent the remaining paperwork off.

PJ
hi PJ. I wonder what you mean by a "provisional yes"? I hope you mean more than just passing the points thing, because you might be in for a long wait if you're just now applying on the Skilled Worker Programme. Give me a shout if you need any info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.