Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Help! need advice on living in the France possibly

Help! need advice on living in the France possibly

Old May 3rd 2012, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

glasgowceltic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! need advice on living in the France possibly

Hi Im considering living and working In France in the next few weeks possibly but looking for advice regards quality of living, things to do, live and work. Im looking to work in hospitality with bar experience on my resume. I am a u.k citizen and just want a change now at 30. Im looking for somewhere i would enjoy living etc. I dont know French but would try and pick up as go along.

Any advice would be most appreciated as would other destinations if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you Johnny
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice
Default Re: Help! need advice on living in the France possibly

It's better for you to study French rather than just try to pick up the language as you go along. How you study the language is up to you: self-learning courses, regular classes, one-on-one classes.

As for work, I couldn't say how easy it would be to get a job in the hospitality sector, but unemployment is high in France.

The quality of living is good, at least for me, but, that depends on what you are looking for precisely. For me, quality means a country with a decent infrastructure - good public transport, no stand pipes, broadband without capping, that sort of thing - good food, an easy supply of manga and animé, and reasonably priced wine. For you, of course, it might be different.
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glasgowceltic
Hi Im considering living and working In France in the next few weeks possibly but looking for advice regards quality of living, things to do, live and work. Im looking to work in hospitality with bar experience on my resume. I am a u.k citizen and just want a change now at 30. Im looking for somewhere i would enjoy living etc. I dont know French but would try and pick up as go along.

Any advice would be most appreciated as would other destinations if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you Johnny
Hi Johnny
Life can be really tough when you cannot speak the language.
France is really different to the UK - not just the language but also the culture.
I know a french guy who stays in Glasgow and he works in a bar for additional cash and also to help with the language and culture. He is totally commited to the life in Scotland which he loves and cannot see how he would ever want to go back to France. You would need this level of commitment to a move to France to make it work.
Why don't you try some of the hotel chains that also have hotels in France?
e.g. Campanile or ETAP.
There are also loads of Irish pubs in France.
Have you thought of where you will find accommodation and how you will pay the deposit and provide the guarantees?
Please do not underestimate the importance of speaking the language or that you will be competing with english-speaking french and take up one year's cash to live on until you find work.
Good luck
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I see you've posted on several other Europe forums. Without a second language, you may have more luck in the Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands since they all speak English. But are you prepared to learn a (difficult) language spoken only in that country?
As mentioned above for France, you'll have problems renting a place if you haven't got payslips to prove that you regularly earn 3-4 times the rent. Potential low-income tenants have to have Guarantors...
Whichever country you decide to go to, take enough savings to last you a year, after which you'll know how you stand.
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What nationality are you?

On another post you say that you are in Australia on an expired visa.
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:46 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What nationality are you?

On another post you say that you are in Australia on an expired visa.
I think the Username gives it all away, But John is on an expired Student visa in Oz then bridging visa having almost but not quite completed the course. But there is an overstay and has to head in this direction. Probably an unwanted reverse move.