Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Haute Savoie or Dordogne-retirement

Haute Savoie or Dordogne-retirement

Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haute Savoie or Dordogne-retirement

Originally Posted by Johnprofwhite
Anyone got any advice around the area of Saint Pardoux La Rivviere for retiring to, not that I am in the 70s and in a wheelchair � ����
Welcome to the forum.
It would have been better if you had started a new- more specific thread rather than resurrect an old one.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 8:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got any advice around the area of Saint Pardoux La Rivviere for retiring to, not that I am in the 70s and in a wheelchair � ����
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Have to agree with the above responses - read the "Growing Old in France" thread in the Read-Me Moving to France FAQs above, wherever you choose to move to.
If you aren't in receipt of a UK State Pension entitling you to the S1 (the key to French Social Security), you'd have to organise private healthcare insurance until you are, and even then, healthcare isn't free in France and you'd be advised to take out a Mutuelle (top-up insurance) for reimbursement of what the S.S. doesn't reimburse. Remember that the older you get, the more often you tend to need medical attention and, apart from the financial aspect of healthcare insurance, it would be advisable to choose a location not too far from medical facilities.
As suggested, start a new thread if you've got other questions!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Johnprofwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the info, I think there is bureaucracy all over the world it's just how much you get immersed in it. Yes old age and care can be a big factor aware of that but got to,live the life whilst we can, this is a reason for. Short trip,over in the next few weeks, are you,living in the area?

Thanks again for the info

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
They had owned the house for 25 years and lived in semi-retirement for 12 years.

They got fed up with dealing with french bureaucracy, the winters in the area are dead, there's almost nothing going on and they were bored. It's beautiful in the summer of course but heaving with tourists especially in Brantome. Perigueuex was just a bit too far to go for shopping on a regular basis.

Their daughter had bought a house in Wales near their family home (which they had kept) so they sold up (took 2 years to sell, as is normal). They had also witnessed friends of theirs getting older and needing more care - and realised that they didn't want to end up in a french nursing home or indeed being too old to look after themselves in their house and a long way from family.

Having said all that, the 25 years they had owned the house had been enjoyable. They'd just reached the end of their french life.

They now own a very plush caravanette with which they tour southern europe in the winter months.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 8:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the info, I think there is bureaucracy all over the world it's just how much you get immersed in it. Yes old age and care can be a big factor aware of that but got to,live the life whilst we can, this is a reason for. Short trip,over in the next few weeks, are you,living in the area?

Hi again. I forgot to ask how your French is? French bureaucracy shouldn't be underestimated, it's everywhere and you can't not get immersed in it!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Not great at the Moment just tourist French but like everything you adapt
Originally Posted by dmu
Hi again. I forgot to ask how your French is? French bureaucracy shouldn't be underestimated, it's everywhere and you can't not get immersed in it!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

France invented bureaucracy.
You just haven't experienced bureaucracy until you come to France.
You have to find out how the system works - BE is great for advice on that.
Generally, the french bureaucracy will not speak English to you.
That includes opening a bank account; water account; electric account; council tax accounts etc.
All things are possible but you need to research thoroughly.
Good luck

Last edited by cyrian; Nov 19th 2016 at 10:07 am.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, we were over in April,for 3 weeks staying with our friends so know what they went through and what we may have to go through if we take the plunge, just early days and seeing what France may have to offer. Will keep,you,posted, always up for a challenge, life is not living if the road does not have a few hills and bends in it 😳🤔

Originally Posted by cyrian
France invented bureaucracy.
You just haven't experienced bureaucracy until you come to France.
You have to find out how the system works - BE is great for advice on that.
Generally, the french bureaucracy will not speak English to you.
That includes opening a bank account; water account; electric account; council tax accounts etc.
All things are possible but you need to research thoroughly.
Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2016, 2:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again, we were over in April,for 3 weeks staying with our friends so know what they went through and what we may have to go through if we take the plunge, just early days and seeing what France may have to offer. Will keep,you,posted, always up for a challenge, life is not living if the road does not have a few hills and bends in it 😳🤔
This is a good plan. Talking to people who have walked the walk is a very good idea.

I really didn't mean to be a debbiedowner about France, BUT I lived in the Toulouse area for 11 years, my kids were born/ brought up there and my aunt and uncle lived there from age age 50ish to 62 so I think I've experienced first hand most life stages in France!

St Pardoux is a pretty village in a lovely area. There is a dr surgery there, restaurants and I think a small 8ahuit with a larger supermarket on the outskirts of the town, a post office, petrol station. So there is everything there you need to live without going far. Loads of great walks and a bike track on the old railway line that goes all the way to Nontron. So far so good!
There is a huge english community in the area. It is quite possible to live there and never have to speak anymore than tourist french if you stay within the anglo community.
Christmas markets? if you're thinking like the amazing german ones you will be disappointed - there will be the odd small one in a village/town hall where local "artisans" sell their products. I use the word "artisan" like that because my experience is the same tacky jewellery and knitted scarf stuff with the odd gem thrown in. I would go for the vin chaud and a mooch around on a dull winter day.....

so far so good...

I mention french bureaucracy because there are boring, mundane things you will need to sort out like healthcare/taxes/house stuff/phone/electricity/gas. If you have friends there that speak French and can help you, then great. If they DON'T immediately start moaning about doing all this kind of stuff, then I suspect they didn't do certain things. Like healthcare. Every french person I knew moaned about bureaucrats too and probably more vociferously than I ever did. My aunt and uncle knew personally some english couples who did not organise their healthcare when they moved there thinking that a visit to the drs would be ok and if they got sick then they'd just go back to the UK. Except they ended up having emergency admission to hospital. Other people who didn't register with the tax authorities in France who ended up doing a runner back to the UK when they realised the trouble they were in. Other times they were called to "rescue" old people who could no longer look after themselves in their pretty cottages in the woods....

My aunt and uncle had owned their house in France for 13 years or so before they moved permanently, it had been their holiday home and they'd gone over at Christmas and during the summer holidays. We'd all visited them there and used their house as a vacation home ourselves. They thought they knew what they were getting into (that's why they didn't sell their house in Wales) but as always, living there is a different kettle of fish.

They have very happy memories of France and their home there. They just didn't want to live the last stage of their lives there.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

We are on the edge of the French Alps if you need advice. I have heard the Dordogne is pretty quiet during Winter bit here you would at least have skiing or snow walking. Summer you have water sports on the lakes, so the best of both worlds maybe?
Old Nov 19th 2016, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for all your help and anything else that you may think helpful. Yes healthcare is one thing we will have to sort out if we go with the plunge, have to look into the tax situation as we won't be working their, living of pensions, so not sure if it will be a double edged sword. Not earning and not paying tax but would possibly require use of their medical facilities if anything did happen. I am sure some expats live in France and are probably not fully registered with the authorities i.e. For voting, paying taxes and just living their paying their utility bills etc so yes will have to,research how people move and settle in by just living off their pensions and what they have to do without getting under the skin of the French beraucracy without upsetting them!!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 10:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks very much for all your help and anything else that you may think helpful. Yes healthcare is one thing we will have to sort out if we go with the plunge, have to look into the tax situation as we won't be working their, living of pensions, so not sure if it will be a double edged sword. Not earning and not paying tax but would possibly require use of their medical facilities if anything did happen. I am sure some expats live in France and are probably not fully registered with the authorities i.e. For voting, paying taxes and just living their paying their utility bills etc so yes will have to,research how people move and settle in by just living off their pensions and what they have to do without getting under the skin of the French beraucracy without upsetting them!!

There probably are some expats who manage to live under the radar, but it can't be very comfortable, having to look over their shoulders all the time. The Authorities won't bother whether you are registered for voting and you probably wouldn't have to pay Income Tax if it's already deducted at source in the UK, but you'll still have to declare your Pensions and all worldwide income to the French Tax Office. They'll be aware of your existence, as you'll pay Taxe d'Habitation if you're renting, plus Taxe Foncière if you buy property. You won't get under their skin if you pay what's due!
Old Nov 20th 2016, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
you probably wouldn't have to pay Income Tax if it's already deducted at source in the UK
Well it depends where the tax treaty says it should be deducted. If the tax treaty says that that particular source of income is taxable in France, and you're not paying tax on it, then saying to the fisc "ah but I paid tax in the UK" will cut no ice - as far as they are concerned, you have failed to pay the tax due. It's up to you to pay tax where it should be paid and reclaim it if you have also paid it in the wrong place. State age-pensions from the UK are taxable in France not the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 10:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well it depends where the tax treaty says it should be deducted. If the tax treaty says that that particular source of income is taxable in France, and you're not paying tax on it, then saying to the fisc "ah but I paid tax in the UK" will cut no ice - as far as they are concerned, you have failed to pay the tax due. It's up to you to pay tax where it should be paid and reclaim it if you have also paid it in the wrong place. State age-pensions from the UK are taxable in France not the UK.
Fair enough, but I did say "IF" it's already deducted at source, meaning that johnprofwhite will find out, when the Fisc has made its own investigation based on his declaration, and issued an Avis d'Imposition (or non-Imposition).
Jpw hasn't given much personal info (type of Pensions, buying or renting, etc..).
If they are entitled to French Social Security, couples are now considered separately, and one doesn't piggyback on a spouse's rights any more - he should research the steps to be taken. On the other hand, if they aren't in receipt of UK State pensions, private insurance will cover what they want. On the renting front, they would have to prove a regular income of 3-4 times the rent, or get a Guarantor who can.
As I am wont to say, fore-warned is fore-armed!
Maybe Jpw should start a separate thread on coming to retire in the Dordogne, as the OP is already in France and their situation is different....
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
ask away. My aunt and uncle lived there for 12 years but left about 3 years ago.
Hi again, was just wondering if you still know anyone who lives in Saint Pardoux La Riviere area we can touch base with, we are popping back over 28 Feb for 5 days to look around again but be good to get some local knowledge of other brits who live out in the area.

John and Kathy
Old Feb 6th 2017, 3:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again, was just wondering if you still know anyone who lives in Saint Pardoux La Riviere area we can touch base with, we are popping back over 28 Feb for 5 days to look around again but be good to get some local knowledge of other brits who live out in the area.

John and Kathy
I may be able to put you in touch with a couple who run a police horse retirement farm near Brantome? Friends of friends.....
will ask. I'll pm you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.