Reload this Page >

Halloween in France.

Halloween in France.

Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Purple Jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Halloween in France.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
When I came here - even further back, Father Christmas was still wearing nappies.

And regarding lost loved ones:

Last edited by Purple Jim; Nov 16th 2017 at 6:45 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:31 am
Just Joined

CzP41004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, I remember being absolutely amazed at how much of a big thing Halloween is in France when I lived there! The French would rather die, get tortured, or drink Spanish wine rather than admit it, but they did take a lot of things from the Americans they like to criticise.

If I'm not mistaken, the "fête des morts" is mostly observed by the older generation and practising Christians, while Halloween caters to the younger ones (and their grandparents, who have to remember to stockpile sweets!)
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CzP41004
Haha, I remember being absolutely amazed at how much of a big thing Halloween is in France when I lived there! The French would rather die, get tortured, or drink Spanish wine rather than admit it, but they did take a lot of things from the Americans they like to criticise.
If I'm not mistaken, the "fête des morts" is mostly observed by the older generation and practising Christians, while Halloween caters to the younger ones (and their grandparents, who have to remember to stockpile sweets!)
I note you're in Alicante. A very pleasant area. We holidayed there....... over 40 years ago.
Regarding Halloween, the French have recently adopted Black Friday too - in a very big way, and we know where that originated.
I think the French would definitely prefer to be tortured than drink Spanish wine; it's a cultural, nationalistic thing - rather than anything wrong with some of the better Spanish wines. In fact when I get the chance I pick up a few bottles of Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva, or one of the pleasant Torres reds when I see them. But I wouldn't swap any of 'em for a Madiran Montus or Bouscasse, whch I'm particularly fond of.

The younger generation in general also get pretty involved today in the fête des morts visits to local cemeteries, as one can witness every Nov 1st, plus it's a national holiday.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CzP41004
Hi, you're not entirely mistaken, la Toussaint is observed by most generations and not necessarily by practising Catholics. There's always a steady flow of crysanthemum/cyclamen buyers in the shops, with the resulting riot of colours on the graves, but they aren't necessarily practising, just honouring their departed. In fact, French OH whose family is scattered in France and myself, feel a bit out of it as we haven't got any one buried locally...
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
In fact, French OH whose family is scattered in France and myself, feel a bit out of it as we haven't got any one buried locally...
Dmu, don't feel left out, there are other possibilities.......
Spoiler:
Old Dec 5th 2017, 11:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Dmu, don't feel left out, there are other possibilities.......

Maybe this isn't the right place to say RIP to Jean d'Ormesson. I believe you appreciate him? Apart from everything else, I liked the malicious twinkle in his blue eyes!
Old Dec 5th 2017, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu

Maybe this isn't the right place to say RIP to Jean d'Ormesson. I believe you appreciate him? Apart from everything else, I liked the malicious twinkle in his blue eyes!
I certainly will. And so will 'Novo' as he was a big Jean d'O fan too.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly will. And so will 'Novo' as he was a big Jean d'O fan too.
No, not really. we inherited a large collection of Livres de Poche from my OH's parents. Her father had asked her to promise to keep her mother's book collection together after he died, which he did in February.

After my accidental reference to Jean and your strong recommendation of his erudition, I did read some of his work.

I probably missed most of said erudition, but with my limited French I grew to appreciate his writing.

RIP