Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

gun licence in france

gun licence in france

Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all
Default Re: gun licence in france

Just a quick addendum to the above post. My OH and I were not serious about shooting dogs around dustbins it was just our rather dry and wry sense of humour (we love all animals).
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:09 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artemis
Just a quick addendum to the above post. My OH and I were not serious about shooting dogs around dustbins it was just our rather dry and wry sense of humour (we love all animals).
Obviously you don't shoot dogs around dustbins but it seems judging by the lack of reply that you may eat sentient beings?
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

Hi there Treskillard, What on earth has bloodsports got to do with eating meat I just can't make the connection. To be perfectly plain and simple we just don't like cruelty to animals and thankfully I believe that most people agree with us (by the way my OH and I were out in the garden yesterday freeing a fox that had got its leg stuck in our fence). There is a foxes earth literally within 12 feet of our back door in our neighbour's garden and it has been there for years. I won't tell you where we live though 'cos we don't want you to know Just pulling your leg.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by treskillard
I think there are quite alot of wild animals in France? Don't you (general question to a silent forum)? Really, aside the whole hunting issue, the place isn't that bad!

And what about that vegetarian/vegan issue by the way? I tend to vere that way myself when considering these matters more than being concerned with hunting. I see the acceptance of eating 'humanely' killed animals yet despising animals killed for 'pleasure' as essentially contradictory and a result of the puritan urge. Now I like a good Puritan myself. But they are contradictory souls aren't they?
I think the rest of the forum is silent because the hunting and shooting of wild animals is a very emotive issue. The different factions hold such violently opposite views and there is so little common ground there is no chance of rapport.
I am against hunting for "sport" but accept that in a lot of countries people do shoot to eat. So be it.
To answer the original question. In broad terms in France one does not need a licence to own a shotgun but a licence is needed to use it.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

ANN49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Artemis, I assume from your lack of denial that you do eat meat, that's fine so do I but, do you honestly believe that the meat on your plate has lived a full and happy life grazing in sweet green meadows and then took a gentle stroll down a leafy lane to a kind man in an abattoir who gently patted its head before despatching it to the great meadow in the sky, get real, the truth is that some ( not all ) of these poor animal may never have seen a blade of grass, have been herded into a lorry with many more, driven several miles and then left sometimes for hours with the noise and stench of death. The animals that we kill to eat are dead before they even know they are being hunted, now which death would you prefer.
If shooting an animal for food is a blood sport then what is an abattoir ?These animals are slaughterd and then have thier throats cut
Ann
Old Sep 29th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Ann, I honestly do not know what you are talking about, but I think you originally started this thread about you wanting to buy a gun to go hunting with. If you have forgotten what the thread was about may I suggest you re read what you have written
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Hello Artemis

I understand exactly what Ann is getting at, and have had the very same thoughts myself since I read your earlier postings.

You have let rip about hunting. In particular you have blasted forth about animal cruelty. But yet you eat meat. If you eat meat, then I am not sure you can justify your position on animal cruelty without more than a pinch of hypocrisy. Do you really think that meat production does not involve animal cruelty? Or for that matter, dairy and egg production? Are you really that naîve, or that capable of turning a blind eye when it suits you.

I personally do not eat meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese, milk etc. This is a personal position. We have no nutritional need, and if everyone did likewise then not only would there be significantly less cruelty to animals, but world wide land use would be more effective, therefore potentially fewer people dying of starvation.

I have no problem whatsoever with other people eating meat. What I object to is your illogical argument and seeming superior position following other's perfectly reasonaable question on the forum.

I realise you do not live in France. You may find you have a lot to learn if you want to integrate here. Hunting, shooting and fishing are an important part of the culture in rural France. Whatever our views, we are wise to keep quiet sometimes in order to be respectful of other peoples perfectly legitmate choices. Especially when we are the newcomers.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:44 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cupoftea
Hello Artemis

I understand exactly what Ann is getting at, and have had the very same thoughts myself since I read your earlier postings.

You have let rip about hunting. In particular you have blasted forth about animal cruelty. But yet you eat meat. If you eat meat, then I am not sure you can justify your position on animal cruelty without more than a pinch of hypocrisy. Do you really think that meat production does not involve animal cruelty? Or for that matter, dairy and egg production? Are you really that naîve, or that capable of turning a blind eye when it suits you.

I personally do not eat meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese, milk etc. This is a personal position. We have no nutritional need, and if everyone did likewise then not only would there be significantly less cruelty to animals, but world wide land use would be more effective, therefore potentially fewer people dying of starvation.

I have no problem whatsoever with other people eating meat. What I object to is your illogical argument and seeming superior position following other's perfectly reasonaable question on the forum.

I realise you do not live in France. You may find you have a lot to learn if you want to integrate here. Hunting, shooting and fishing are an important part of the culture in rural France. Whatever our views, we are wise to keep quiet sometimes in order to be respectful of other peoples perfectly legitmate choices. Especially when we are the newcomers.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed reading that. I can leave it alone now (we'll see!).
Merci.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

ANN49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Artemis, I am very well aware of my original question, may I suggest that YOU read through these posts seeing it has been your very strong comments that have lead to the question of all animal rights including the slaughter and eating of meat
Ann
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all, I am finding this all quite amusing. CupofTea I shall certainly not keep quiet about the brutality of bloodsports ..... thank goodness the British Government had the sense to ban it here.Perhaps you would all like to meet me for a chat about it because I am certainly not the coward here ...... which begs the question are people who shoot animals for fun cowards or extremely brave. Perhaps I will leave that question hanging overnight .........

And another point .... my goodness you would have thought with the ice caps melting, animal habitats dwindling and flooding rife in Africa etc that you all should really have more respect for our world and the animals contained in it. I really do think that you should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. At least as a teacher I am bringing this catastrophic climate change to the attention of my pupils and what have you all done to make the world a better place, apart from joining in the destruction of it. Really I do think you all do set rather a bad example to children.

P.S. CupofTea Am I understanding your point correctly you want me to shoot animals in order to fit in when I move to France. Is not that a bit like saying in Nazi Germany please join in with the killing so that you can fit in with life in Germany. I hope you see how very silly your comment is.

Last edited by artemis; Sep 29th 2007 at 8:03 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:54 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by artemis
Hi all, I am finding this all quite amusing. CupofTea I shall certainly not keep quiet about the brutality of bloodsports ..... thank goodness the British Government had the sense to ban it here.Perhaps you would all like to meet me for a chat about it because I am certainly not the coward here ...... which begs the question are people who shoot animals for fun cowards or extremely brave. Perhaps I will leave that question hanging overnight .........
Sigh...
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Artemis, I think you have missed the point again. I am not in favour of blood sports. Far from it. I am not in favour of any animal cruelty. As a result I don't eat animals. Or eggs. Or any dairy food. How much clearer can I make it?

I am not questioning you views on blood sports. Only the way they are expressed in attacking other people. You have obviously taken a position on the matter. It is a position on a continuum of potential opinions. Others choose a different position to one side or the other.

The point that you don't seem to have grasped, is that just because you have chosen your own personal view, doesn't make it 'the right way', 'the only way', and therefore one which you can judge others by.

It is important that we all respect others opinions, decisions and choices, and listen to each other without judging. How I choose to live is in keeping with my views. I try to do the least damage I can to other people, animals and the environment.

Shouting at others has never changed the world. But sadly that is often what teachers do. Perhaps it's how they are trained?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Now as a gun toting rodent shooting redneck ....
I could really upset the world saviour here ...

Your opinion is yours .. but its not for you to force it down
others throats.....

You owe your existance to a lot of people with guns ..
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

[U]CupofTea[U] You are not in favour of bloodsports but you are one of the many who would stand by and watch people do it. How sad and typical of most people. I don't think I have ever forced my opinion down people's throats I merely stated the facts as written above ...... why should I respect the unnecessary killing of animals CupofTea?

Last edited by artemis; Sep 30th 2007 at 10:27 am. Reason: punctuation
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Ray, Your post has been one of the most unpleasant posts I have read on this forum (peace man).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.