Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Got UK passport, but in EU on limited visa

Got UK passport, but in EU on limited visa

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice
Default Re: Got UK passport, but in EU on limited visa

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

With a bit of prodding I understand she can qualify for French citizenship and that as her spouse I could too after taking up residence there permanently.

Does anyone have any input on that: I hadn't thought to bring it up on here yet.
Hi, just found this: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/les...ite-francaise/

The bit that is of interest for your wife, is '1. L’attribution de la nationalité française par filiation (droit du sang)'. Seeing as your wife has one French parent and was declared in the livret de famille, it seems promising, however 'la filiation de l’enfant n’a d’effet sur la nationalité de celui-ci que si elle est établie durant sa minorité' - which doesn't seem to be your wife's case? If she wasn't made a French citizen as a minor, it doesn't look like she would qualify under this rule.

It then seems the only way either of you can become citizens would be by naturalisation after 5 years of having lived there: 'La naturalisation ne peut être accordée qu’à l’étranger justifiant d’une résidence habituelle en France pendant les cinq années qui précèdent le dépôt de sa demande'.

However, if your wife does somehow manage to get French citizenship (I am no expert, there may well be other ways), then you'd easily qualify for it too as her spouse...
I guess you'd also have to check whether you are allowed treble citizenship (I think the UK allows it?), or if you'd have to relinquish your Canadian one. To be honest though, apart from the presidential voting issue, not sure what more French citizenship would give you that you are not already allowed access to as a UK citizen.

You just got me thinking - I had completely forgotten about the spouse thing, I'll tell my husband that he now qualifies for French citizenship. Not sure he'll jump for joy
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got UK passport, but in EU on limited visa

Originally Posted by nerdherd
Hi, just found this: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/les...ite-francaise/

The bit that is of interest for your wife, is '1. L’attribution de la nationalité française par filiation (droit du sang)'. Seeing as your wife has one French parent and was declared in the livret de famille, it seems promising, however 'la filiation de l’enfant n’a d’effet sur la nationalité de celui-ci que si elle est établie durant sa minorité' - which doesn't seem to be your wife's case? If she wasn't made a French citizen as a minor, it doesn't look like she would qualify under this rule.

It then seems the only way either of you can become citizens would be by naturalisation after 5 years of having lived there: 'La naturalisation ne peut être accordée qu’à l’étranger justifiant d’une résidence habituelle en France pendant les cinq années qui précèdent le dépôt de sa demande'.

However, if your wife does somehow manage to get French citizenship (I am no expert, there may well be other ways), then you'd easily qualify for it too as her spouse...
I guess you'd also have to check whether you are allowed treble citizenship (I think the UK allows it?), or if you'd have to relinquish your Canadian one. To be honest though, apart from the presidential voting issue, not sure what more French citizenship would give you that you are not already allowed access to as a UK citizen.

You just got me thinking - I had completely forgotten about the spouse thing, I'll tell my husband that he now qualifies for French citizenship. Not sure he'll jump for joy
Thanks. It doesn't sound promising after all. I was under (the apparently mistaken) impression that I'd read that the need to exercise "droit du sang" while a minor had been repealed. Something to do with the EU I'd thought. Ah well. As you say, apart from voting....