Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Getting passports for my children born in France?

Getting passports for my children born in France?

Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

WeeMary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting passports for my children born in France?

Hello, I'm a British woman living in France (8years) with my French partner we have 2 children both born in France we are not married and they have their fathers surname. I'm looking for advice on getting passports for them , I know how to get French passports through their father but am i right in thinking that they would be automatically entitled to a British passport through me?
What about dual nationality? In fact what i really want to know is how to best protect my children in the event of separating from the father and having to make a quick get away back to the UK . Am i right in thinking if the kids only have French passports I'd have difficulty in travelling with them alone?

I hope that things do work out for us but need good advice (factual, not judgemental please) re passport situation, thanking you in advance.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting passports for my children born in France?

Try here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174146
Old Apr 10th 2012, 9:30 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WeeMary
Hello, I'm a British woman living in France (8years) with my French partner we have 2 children both born in France we are not married and they have their fathers surname. I'm looking for advice on getting passports for them , I know how to get French passports through their father but am i right in thinking that they would be automatically entitled to a British passport through me?
What about dual nationality? In fact what i really want to know is how to best protect my children in the event of separating from the father and having to make a quick get away back to the UK . Am i right in thinking if the kids only have French passports I'd have difficulty in travelling with them alone?

I hope that things do work out for us but need good advice (factual, not judgemental please) re passport situation, thanking you in advance.
Welcome to the Forum

Have a Look here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

and Applying methods here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ship/applying/

keep the passports safe in your possession once you have them

If you get any issues on the Forum give me a shout
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Am i right in thinking if the kids only have French passports I'd have difficulty in travelling with them alone?
Hi, do you really need to obtain French Passports for them? If you only intend to travel within the EU, their Cartes d'Identité are sufficient.
AFAIK, you'll need the father's written permission to leave France with your children, all the more so as your names are different.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Hello, I'm a British woman living in France (8years) with my French partner we have 2 children both born in France we are not married and they have their fathers surname.
Hi,
Did you declare your children's births at the British Embassy? I think that would be the first step, so as they get a birth certificate.
As for doing a quick getaway to the UK, you can probably forget that, as someone has already said, you'd need written permission from the father to take them out of the country. Failing to do so could no doubt be construed as attempted kidnapping. This of course applies both ways. He'd need your permission to do a similar quick getaway...
Good luck
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
Did you declare your children's births at the British Embassy? I think that would be the first step, so as they get a birth certificate.
As for doing a quick getaway to the UK, you can probably forget that, as someone has already said, you'd need written permission from the father to take them out of the country. Failing to do so could no doubt be construed as attempted kidnapping. This of course applies both ways. He'd need your permission to do a similar quick getaway...
Good luck
You don't need to declare the birth at the Embassy to get a birth certificate and passport. The embassy will issue a passport as long as one of the parents has a British passport/citizenship etc. When we applied for our daughters passport we sent in the French birth certificate our details and managed to fast track the application as we had to get somewhere quick. Five day turn around for a new passport
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
You don't need to declare the birth at the Embassy to get a birth certificate and passport. The embassy will issue a passport as long as one of the parents has a British passport/citizenship etc. When we applied for our daughters passport we sent in the French birth certificate our details and managed to fast track the application as we had to get somewhere quick. Five day turn around for a new passport

As long as the parent herself was not borne outside of the UK. But no indication of that in this case.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As long as the parent herself was not borne outside of the UK. But no indication of that in this case.
I would have expected to op to indicate this at the outset, As you have pointed out this would complicate issues no end. Me I'm a simplest scenario first let the op complicate it later
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I would have expected to op to indicate this at the outset, As you have pointed out this would complicate issues no end. Me I'm a simplest scenario first let the op complicate it later
An excellent modus operandi and one which indeed simplifies life, if a simple life is what you crave.