Get stuffed!

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get stuffed!

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
It sounds great but it's a shame that the bird always comes without the giblets in France, but maybe I can get some chicken livers separately.

I see you sorted this, but making friends with, even just asking le boucher (even in a supermarket), pays dividends

Chapon is a good alternative to turkey and it's often easier to find a bigger chapon than turkey. The flavour of the meat is not so strong which is a mixed blessing.

+1
I'll vote for most of Delia's stuffing recipes being good .
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

My favourite way to cook a turkey - doesn't require any basting and is delicious:

No stuffing in turkey - just onions and 2 halves of orange

Melt a pack of unsalted butter and allow a piece of cotton muslin or a cotton teatowel to soak up the butter
Wrap muslin around the turkey - put upside down on rack above deep roasting dish - dont baste or remove muslin
Cook in oven - when done leave to rest for 30 mins, unwrap and carve for beautifully moist brown turkey

I make balls of stuffing and roast separately as I like them crispy.

Have a great holiday everyone.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 7:01 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that tip capricorn2013 - I hate dry turkey and the basting is a real pain. Do you leave the turkey breast-down in the oven the whole time? And yes, I like crispy stuffing too, so balls it is. Just got to choose what to put in the stuffing apart from the brandy

Hope all members have an enjoyable Christmas (steady on, Timothy!)
Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Thanks for that tip capricorn2013 - I hate dry turkey and the basting is a real pain. Do you leave the turkey breast-down in the oven the whole time? And yes, I like crispy stuffing too, so balls it is. Language, Timothy!Just got to choose what to put in the stuffing apart from the brandy

Hope all members have an enjoyable Christmas (steady on, Timothy!)
Have a cracking one, one and all!
Old Dec 24th 2014, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Re turkey upside down - it depends on the size really - have a look about half way through and if the breast seems to need to be a bit browner then you can turn it over. Cooking it upside down ensures that all the juices go into the breast.

If it is a large turkey then you may need to pour the juices from the pan into a saucepan so that they don't spill over in the oven.

I have been cooking turkey this way for about 20 years since I saw a cookery programme on tv and it definitely works.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Tip: if you are using larger oranges cut them into quarters rather than halves. Ours is in the oven since 07.30.. looking forward to "testing" it :-) Bon Appetit!