Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Tax returns online

French Tax returns online

Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Alec72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French Tax returns online

Hello I am trying to switch my French tax declaration (which is very uncomplicated) from paper to online but due to my limited French I am having difficulty. I have tried google translate without success. Is there an English language version ... has anyone found a workaround or a solution. Thanks for any replies which hopefully won't include suggestions about taking French lessons! but might include a link
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Tax returns online

It's not time to declare yet. This year's forms aren't out, in fact they probably haven't even been finalised yet. You can't declare until the annual exercise has been set up. I think it would be impossible to submit a declaration in January, never mind difficult.
When the time comes, you'll find your this year's form in your espace particulier, all prepopulated with the figures you submitted last year. So basically, if your situation hasn't changed it is just a case of overwriting the old figures with the new.
But, when you bring up your form you will only see the sections that you filled in last year. If you need different sections, you need to click buttons to add them. I can't remember exactly how it worked, and in any case it might be different this year because they keep tweaking and improving things, but I don't remember it being too difficult.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for that EuroTrash .. very helpful
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
It's not time to declare yet. This year's forms aren't out, in fact they probably haven't even been finalised yet. You can't declare until the annual exercise has been set up. I think it would be impossible to submit a declaration in January, never mind difficult.
When the time comes, you'll find your this year's form in your espace particulier, all prepopulated with the figures you submitted last year. So basically, if your situation hasn't changed it is just a case of overwriting the old figures with the new.
But, when you bring up your form you will only see the sections that you filled in last year. If you need different sections, you need to click buttons to add them. I can't remember exactly how it worked, and in any case it might be different this year because they keep tweaking and improving things, but I don't remember it being too difficult.
ET, i'd expect yours to be elementary. Especially after a caffeine fix.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
ET, i'd expect yours to be elementary. Especially after a caffeine fix.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Hello again ... In spite of not being able to fill out the online tax declarationuntil April / May I have been trying to set up my espace particulier and have been able to take my Numéro fiscal and Numéro de déclarant en ligne from a photocopy of last years returns ... however ... it asks for Revenu fiscal de référence which I understand to mean 'Enter the amount on your income tax notice' does that literally mean the amount I had to pay for 2015 'Montant a payer' on last years tax demand?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, your RFR is your total taxable household income for the year. It's not on the tax return that you submitted, because it is a figure that the tax office calculates when it processes your return. It is shown on your Avis/tax demand, it's one of the batch of figures in the box top left. It actually says Revenu fiscal de référence: followed by the figure. See this image

This is the figure you are asked for eg if you ever apply for benefits or subsidies.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 21st 2017 at 11:19 am.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for quick reply ET ... have looked and found the Revenu fiscal de référence box which is underneath Numéro de déclarant en ligne but there is no number ... it says reportez-vous a votre dernier avis d'impot sur le revenu which is why I concluded I had to quote Montant a payer
Old Jan 21st 2017, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes that's right, the document you need to be looking at is your last "avis d'impot" (like the one in the picture but for last year, the format will be a bit different but it will still say AVIS D'IMPÔT SUR LE REVENU at the top). It is the "avis" that sets out you how your total taxable income was calculated and tells you your RFR and how much tax you have to pay. Is that not the document you're looking at?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 21st 2017 at 11:45 am.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Sigh ... I was afraid of that ... I've lost it .. !
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You do know you get guillotined for losing important documents in France, don't you

Never mind, once you've set up your espace you can print another one off

Alternatively, just go to your tax office with your passport and proof of address and ask for a copy, or ask for your RFR.

Unfortunately it's part of the security process for setting up your espace. The process has to be designed so that you need to refer to 2 different documents in order to complete registration. Otherwise, the person who has found the avis d'impots that you've lost, would be able to access your online account. So your tax number is on both forms but the RFR can only be found on your Avis, and the no. de télédéclarant can only be found on your Déclaration.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aloec72
Sigh ... I was afraid of that ... I've lost it .. !
Oh dear, not advisable in France!
Go along to your Centre d'Impôts with your last year's "Déclaration de Revenus" (Tax returns) with your Tax references, together with ID and they'll find your Avis d'Imposition.
P.S. Ooops, post crossed with ET. There go those Great Minds thinking alike, again...
Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dmu ET .... maybe when I go to the local tax office I should put a suit on whistle the marseillaises and practise "Désolé parce que je suis anglais, je n'ai qu'un petit cerveau" they will let me off with just a glare
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Aloec72
Thanks dmu ET .... maybe when I go to the local tax office I should put a suit on whistle the marseillaises and practise "Désolé parce que je suis anglais, je n'ai qu'un petit cerveau" they will let me off with just a glare
LOL, yes do that!
They're very nice at the tax office, usually, and if you make an effort to be friendly they respond well. Once a lady I was speaking to on the phone asked me to repeat something, so I did and I said "sorry about the accent, you've probably guessed I'm English" and she said "Yes you sound like Jane Birkin", and I said "well if you're looking at my tax return you'll have seen that my income isn't much like Jane Birkin's", and she found that very funny indeed.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
LOL, yes do that!
They're very nice at the tax office, usually, and if you make an effort to be friendly they respond well. Once a lady I was speaking to on the phone asked me to repeat something, so I did and I said "sorry about the accent, you've probably guessed I'm English" and she said "Yes you sound like Jane Birkin", and I said "well if you're looking at my tax return you'll have seen that my income isn't much like Jane Birkin's", and she found that very funny indeed.