French stamps

Old Sep 28th 2013, 2:51 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French stamps

OK, one thing I have not got to grips with here is buying stamps in France. I buy bulk stamps for single sheets of paper, but how can I buy stamps for sending birthday cards or maybe 2 or 3 sheets of paper etc? What weight do I ask for? I am fed up keep queuing at our post office for just odd letters. I do not have scales for this type of thing, but feel I could buy a batch of stamps if I know what to ask for
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French stamps

Our post office has a self service area where it is all automised, you put the letter or parcel onto the scales, select whether it is to be sent priorité or EU or international or whatever, put the money or a bank card in the slot, and it prints out a sticker to stick on and bob's your uncle. You don't usually have to queue.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:22 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Aww, that sounds a bit more city/town like? We are in the country, all antiquated here, unless I am missing something?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

You can find your nearest office with an automated machine here -
http://www.laposte.fr/Particulier/Ut...ureau-de-poste

just tick the 'borne libre service' box

For cost of stamps, you can download the tariff sheet here

http://www.laposte.fr/Particulier/Co...arifs-Courrier

A typical card or letter with a few sheets would normally be covered by the 50g tariff.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:40 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Thanks TinaBee, that is what I need, so will get some 50g stamps. It is the avoiding the post office I need, as it is sooooo long winded. I assume I just ask for stamps up to 50g, or do they have a name?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Aww, that sounds a bit more city/town like? We are in the country, all antiquated here, unless I am missing something?
And if your pigeon post is anything like ours here, you can rely on those homing pigeons to do a pretty fine job of message delivery, and not restricted to 35hrs/week like La Poste.
Pity the envelopes tend to get soiled though.........
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:47 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

We have just set up a redirection which starts on Monday, however for a week the Post Office locally seems to of saved up all our mail, and caught me at the new house today with a weeks worth of mail. When moving house, plodding throught that lot takes time I can tell you!!
Also, a "signed for" arrived at our new address yesterday, but the address was the old address, and the new redirection isn't due to start yet??
It seems that the postladies seem to know each other, and god knows where our mail ends up?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:49 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
We have just set up a redirection which starts on Monday, however for a week the Post Office locally seems to of saved up all our mail, and caught me at the new house today with a weeks worth of mail. When moving house, plodding throught that lot takes time I can tell you!!
Also, a "signed for" arrived at our new address yesterday, but the address was the old address, and the new redirection isn't due to start yet??
It seems that the postladies seem to know each other, and god knows where our mail ends up?
It is at the sorting office's discretion as to how they forward and in what quantities if you have have remained in the same area as I recall you said in your second post you were moving a mile or so then you have friendly helpful postal workers. Redirections are computerised you can set them up at any post office in France for any address as long as you have the relevant ID for any of the names being diverted.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 6:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
I assume I just ask for stamps up to 50g, or do they have a name?
You simply ask for "x timbres à 50g". Stamps for the UK (or elsewhere in Europe) are "timbres pour l'Europe".
In any case, if they realise you're not French, the counter-clerks will check to make sure they're giving you the correct stamps. Don't be offended, they're being helpful!!
Our nearest P.O. gives you a printout of the latest tariffs if you ask.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:50 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Thank you DMU. Are there different weights with UK postage too?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Thank you DMU. Are there different weights with UK postage too?
yes, but I never send anything heavier than a card in an envelope, and I've no idea how much.
The above link will give the various tariffs, otherwise ask for a printout at the P.O., and get yourself some low-value stamps when you buy your carnets and "Europe" ones, to make up the extra.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

If you fancy it you can do it all from the comfort of your own home and design your own stamps to boot !

http://www.laposte.com/Already-livin...-Stamps-Online
Old Oct 6th 2013, 9:11 am
Just Joined

nadine001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi you can also order stamps in advance through plil@post which office is in Dordogne which I do and have enough for three months. YOu can choose the stamps you want and get them by mail.
http://timbres.laposte.fr/af/laposte...%20engagements
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:34 am
Just Joined

kevin.griffiths@vega.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Will the French Post Office accept UK stamps on an SAE I am sending to France to have something sent back, or do I need to get hold of some French stamps?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Errr, no they won't.

La Poste aren't going to handle items that they haven't been paid to handle, are they.
It would be like sticking a letter in a UK postbox with a French stamp on it. Why would Royal Mail handle it when you haven't paid Royal Mail the postage? It would be like posting it with no stamp on it at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.