Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French speeding fine UK licence

French speeding fine UK licence

Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French speeding fine UK licence

Well according to our prefecture yes that's right. I took a copy of their email for my car should I ever get stopped again for a routine check.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Just 1 clarification please as highlighted above, case 1.
As long as we are in the EU pre-Brexit, I think the police can only request you to take a French Licence I don't think you are required to transfer to one. Is that right, please?

Jon
They can ONLY make you change your UK license for a French one if you commit a traffic offense. Otherwise you get to carry on using it.

The offense doesn not have to be a serious one either - and it is more likely to happen if you are stopped by the police rather than having an automatic camera catch you. If you are stopped by the police when they hand you the paper showing you what your traffic offense is then they can tick a box that says you must change your license.
I had a gendarme stop me, he looked at my license and told me that since I'd been living in france for so long I should have changed my license. Stupidly, I corrected him - Then the gendarme ticked the box for changing my license.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
They can ONLY make you change your UK license for a French one if you commit a traffic offense. Otherwise you get to carry on using it.

The offense doesn not have to be a serious one either - and it is more likely to happen if you are stopped by the police rather than having an automatic camera catch you. If you are stopped by the police when they hand you the paper showing you what your traffic offense is then they can tick a box that says you must change your license.
I had a gendarme stop me, he looked at my license and told me that since I'd been living in france for so long I should have changed my license. Stupidly, I corrected him - Then the gendarme ticked the box for changing my license.
Yes, best to humour them and let them talk the talk.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:23 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Just 1 clarification please as highlighted above, case 1.
As long as we are in the EU pre-Brexit, I think the police can only request you to take a French Licence I don't think you are required to transfer to one. Is that right, please?

Jon
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

In fact you can only be required to exchange your UK licence for a French one if you are resident in France. Not every Brit with a French car is resident so I'm not sure what happens if they tick the box when you are, in fact, not entitled to a French licence.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Not every Brit with a French car is resident so I'm not sure what happens if they tick the box when you are, in fact, not entitled to a French licence.
That's an interesting one isn't it. After all, strictly speaking, in order to register a car in your name in France you must be resident in France, and you will have duly toddled along to the préfecture with your proofs of residence to prove that you are...
Old Jan 9th 2017, 6:48 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
That's an interesting one isn't it. After all, strictly speaking, in order to register a car in your name in France you must be resident in France, and you will have duly toddled along to the préfecture with your proofs of residence to prove that you are...
Well you don't actually have to be resident to register a car in France, you just need a justificatif de domicile which is an EDF, GDF, Telecom or mobile phone bill. Plenty of Brits, Belgians and Swiss with secondary residences in France own French-registered cars.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Well you don't actually have to be resident to register a car in France, you just need a justificatif de domicile which is an EDF, GDF, Telecom or mobile phone bill. Plenty of Brits, Belgians and Swiss with secondary residences in France own French-registered cars.
Agreed, you don't HAVE to be resident to prove that you are resident. But you are SUPPOSED to be.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. I'm one of them.

Agreed, you don't HAVE to be resident to prove that you are resident. But you are SUPPOSED to be.
Neither the vendor, the insurance company, nor the Préfecture suggested such a thing. Moreover, at the time, I had a non-EU DL.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Not so.
Under the rules of the directive you are allowed to own, retain and use a vehicle in France if you are a second home owner of a property in France and your actual residence is in another EU state.
Local foncs misunderstandings is another matter.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Chti Anglais is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jan 12th 2017, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Very quick usually.

The law is perfectly clear, in fact. If you simply asked the prefecture whether or not you needed to change your licence, and didn't mention the possibility of having a contravention, then what they said was entirely correct.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1758
"La demande d'échange n'est pas obligatoire sauf en cas d'infraction entraînant une mesure de restriction, de suspension, d'annulation du permis ou une perte de points."
Nothing yet and has been a week! Maybe it wasn't me? Here's hoping I won't get my very first fine ever!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 11:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardi
Not so.
Under the rules of the directive you are allowed to own, retain and use a vehicle in France if you are a second home owner of a property in France and your actual residence is in another EU state.
Local foncs misunderstandings is another matter.
Interesting. As noted, at the time of registering a car in France using my secondary home address in France, my primary residence was in Canada (and my DL was an Ontario issued one).

I did have two passports (GB/CDN) though but I don't recall being asked about that.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well two weeks has past and no letter in the post? Am I safe? How long do French fines take to come through? Have read 2-4 days.

Last edited by bobbi2; Jan 17th 2017 at 12:35 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're safe, if it was coming it would have arrived by now.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Interesting. As noted, at the time of registering a car in France using my secondary home address in France, my primary residence was in Canada (and my DL was an Ontario issued one).

I did have two passports (GB/CDN) though but I don't recall being asked about that.

Ignorance of the petty bureaucracy is no excuse.
Guillotine I should think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.