Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French number plates "colour" ???

French number plates "colour" ???

Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

3 dog night is on a distinguished road
Default French number plates "colour" ???

Hi folks,
Ive just come back from having my new french number plates made and i was wondering why some rear plates are in a yellow back ground and some white colour background,
I was given this explanation,
the older idea was yellow rear plates "background and then the number/letters,
but it was found that this colour is easy to detect via speed camera's and the "white colour" is'nt so easy on the camera's hence most people have the white background, If you really want all yellow your not breaking any laws and you can have it.

Just a bit more info ref registering your vehicle here in france and why some numer plates have yellow and some have white backgrounds to the plates.

Im all legal and plated now and feel pleased about it.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: French number plates "colour" ???

The explanation given might have more credence if the new style plates were not white !

All you ever wanted to know about French number plates but were afraid to ask

Incidentally there is one common myth I can debunk here and now and that it that classic car silver on black plates are most assuredly detectable and readable by French cameras !

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Dec 5th 2012 at 10:40 am.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

3 dog night is on a distinguished road

The new plates are white "if you want them" its the yellow plates that show up and again you may want to have these,
The best idea is not to speed, try telling that to the french

Nothing more annoying than someone driving up your b--- side then over take and then brake lights on every little bend.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

The new plates are ALL white, some exceptions are accepted for classic cars (black plates, silver numbers). The new system has been adopted 3/4 years ago.
the new plates are for the whole life of the vehicle.
Before, they were white in the front and yellow in the back, the last number mentioned the department(75= Paris, 31=Haute-Garonne, etc..). If you were moving to another department, you had to change them.
If you buy a second-hand car with this type of plates, you will have to change to the new system, even if this car was formerly registered in your department.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LordMayor
The new plates are ALL white, some exceptions are accepted for classic cars (black plates, silver numbers). The new system has been adopted 3/4 years ago.
the new plates are for the whole life of the vehicle.
Before, they were white in the front and yellow in the back, the last number mentioned the department(75= Paris, 31=Haute-Garonne, etc..). If you were moving to another department, you had to change them.
If you buy a second-hand car with this type of plates, you will have to change to the new system, even if this car was formerly registered in your department.
Absolutely right. As usual, a load of naff info info from hearsay!!