French girl scared to go back to TOURS FRANCE

French girl scared to go back to TOURS FRANCE

Old May 30th 2013, 7:30 am
Just Joined

MAGELANE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French girl scared to go back to TOURS FRANCE

Old May 30th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cyrian
http://www.loireavelo.fr/agenda/foir...6-juillet-2013

The 26th July the whole town centre is closed for garlic.
Well I didn't know that! I will definitely be heading into Tours for that one!
Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Well I didn't know that! I will definitely be heading into Tours for that one!
Thanks
You will find it in Quartier des Halles - Grand Marché - Place Châteauneuf.
Arrive early - parking is difficult.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

I have given up parking in Tours centre, since they started digging up the roads for the tram! I park at St Pierre des Corps and take a bus, it is far less stressful

Sue
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Timlutin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am posting hoping the original poster (Magelane) is still around... It happens that we are in the same kind of situation as her: French family having lived abroad all their lives and coming to live in France. We are relocating between Tours and Le Mans and would love to meet the anglophone community in the area.
From what I have gathered so far, it is more around Tours...? Are there any clubs/social meetings?
I have read about the bilingual school and it seems fantastic, it would be exactly what our kids would need. Unfortunately the school run would be a tad too long...! But we are prepared to drive to Tours occasionally to meet english speaking families as we would very much like our children to keep speaking the language.

Any suggestion/pointers in where to look would be welcomed. I am thinking about contacting Befun as well... If you are around, would you be OK with this Befun?

Thank you all!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:08 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I'm scared to go back to London. No-one speaks English there any more!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I'm scared to go back to London. No-one speaks English there any more!
I know the feeling. I sometimes feel alienated during my trips to Toulouse because I can't speak/read Occitane......
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

hello Timlutin,

This is Magelane, finally. I am indeed still around... but not scared anymore...
The process has been a little painfull but hopefully I have made good friends... many of them foreigners or... ex-expats!
The two best things that happened to us here are without any doubts the primary school where my youngest daughter is going (great bilingual programm with many international kids) and the "melting pot 37", a group of anglophon expats, French from aboad or just English language lovers, who meets once every other months or so to chat, have diner, exchange good tips or just enjoy a great moment! We meet at restaurants, at members house, sometimes with kids, sometimes without... it is very relaxed and never boring!
Also to help new comers, I designed a page on Facebook "expats in Tours" where you can find some information and post all your questions. Please feel free to join...
Hope that will help?
Befun is the one who introduced me to the school Saint Agnes and.. she became my daughter teacher! She is a great, great, great lady who is doing a tremendous job with our kids at school. Don't hesitate to get in touch with her...
How old are your kids? Where are you coming from?
Lets keep in touch(SNIP) and feel free to ask any question... have been there... know the feeling!
Sophie

Originally Posted by Timlutin
Hello,

I am posting hoping the original poster (Magelane) is still around... It happens that we are in the same kind of situation as her: French family having lived abroad all their lives and coming to live in France. We are relocating between Tours and Le Mans and would love to meet the anglophone community in the area.
From what I have gathered so far, it is more around Tours...? Are there any clubs/social meetings?
I have read about the bilingual school and it seems fantastic, it would be exactly what our kids would need. Unfortunately the school run would be a tad too long...! But we are prepared to drive to Tours occasionally to meet english speaking families as we would very much like our children to keep speaking the language.

Any suggestion/pointers in where to look would be welcomed. I am thinking about contacting Befun as well... If you are around, would you be OK with this Befun?

Thank you all!

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 4th 2014 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Email address removed for your own safety
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
I have given up parking in Tours centre, since they started digging up the roads for the tram! I park at St Pierre des Corps and take a bus, it is far less stressful

Sue
Come back Sue... the tramway is working fine, the work is over and... the parking places are back!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sophie, thank you so much for coming back to me!

At the moment we are living in Surrey, my kids are 10 (year 5), 8 (year 3) and 5 (reception). They were all born here. The older two are not so happy about the move (as you would expect), the little one is quite excited actually...

I am not such a Facebook fan (yes I am one of those, sorry) but I might join "expats in Tours", it will certainly come in handy : like you, we have never lived in France (grew up there and left 15 years ago) so there are lots of things to go through, from the CPAM to car registration!

I would love to keep in touch and learn more about "melting pot 37"...

I will also try and get in touch with Befun as well. Her school seems perfect but as already mentioned is 40 minutes from where we will be living so not really an option. We will do our best to maintain the kids English one way or another: meeting with other anglophone families would already be great.

Thanks again for you reply
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

FrogTrans is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Timlutin,
When is the big move to Tours then? have you found a place yet? We are an anglo French family and me moved to Tours this January. We also contemplated the idea of putting our kids in the international class at Notre Dame la Riche, but we just couldn't afford it in the end with three kids to provide for. !
Our kids are 6 1/2, nearly 5 and 3 1/2. We lived in Northampton until April 2012, then moved to the Vendée area of France and then to Tours. Hubby is English from Yorkshire.
Florence
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FrogTrans
Hi Timlutin,
When is the big move to Tours then? have you found a place yet? We are an anglo French family and me moved to Tours this January. We also contemplated the idea of putting our kids in the international class at Notre Dame la Riche, but we just couldn't afford it in the end with three kids to provide for. !
Our kids are 6 1/2, nearly 5 and 3 1/2. We lived in Northampton until April 2012, then moved to the Vendée area of France and then to Tours. Hubby is English from Yorkshire.
Florence
Hi Florence (and to all of you!)

Funny how I was thinking I should post again here... I haven't, mostly because everything has not be as simple as we thought it would be. But we are used to complicated and now everything is (almost) sorted.
We will be living just short of 50 km North of Tours, so not very close but still manageable to meet with other anglophone families from time to time... Have you joined Sophie's group? How has your husband adapted to France?

Our move is scheduled for the end of July, I am in the process of booking a removal company... Has any of you heard of Europe Remove Ltd? They seem OK but although they are members of the National Guild of Removers they are not part of the British Association of Removers... Can anyone comment/share their experience on this?

The school is now sorted, next step is to look into importing our car into France and of course, start packing!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 6:30 am
Just Joined

MonikMa is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Magelane,
I don't know if you are still in France, but in the same situation. I'm moving to Tours in August for the first time in France. I'm very happy but bit worried for my kids. They speak French at a fair level and I'm looking at schools now. They have been attending an English Speaking school in the last four years. I would be very happy to know what did you do. In which school did you send them? How did you keep up with their English knowledge?
Thank you very much
MonikMa
Old Apr 16th 2015, 7:15 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MonikMa
Dear Magelane,
I don't know if you are still in France, but in the same situation. I'm moving to Tours in August for the first time in France. I'm very happy but bit worried for my kids. They speak French at a fair level and I'm looking at schools now. They have been attending an English Speaking school in the last four years. I would be very happy to know what did you do. In which school did you send them? How did you keep up with their English knowledge?
Thank you very much
MonikMa
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You may do well to post a New Thread, giving your children's ages and indicating whether you'll be moving permanently or temporarily. If they are of Primary age or younger, the Mairie of Tours will allocate you the State Primaire or Maternelle nearest your domicile, unless you prefer a private school. Secondary school age children, even with a "fair level" of French, will find it difficult to cope in a State Collège and even more so in Lycée, and would probably be better in an International School.
Post a new thread, as other members who have children won't necessarily read this one!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: French girl scared to go back to TOURS FRANCE

Hello MonikMa,
Thanks to British Expat, I found this great primary school in Tours: Sainte Agnes. It is a private school, which means that you can enroll any time notwithstanding where you live... which is quite important in France. The bilingual kids who opt for the International curriculum, have class in French in the morning (with a French teacher) and in English in the afternoon (with a British teacher).

For the "collège" (12-16 year) it is more complicated... I haven't been able to find a real bilingual class in english. Even the "European class" are highly disappointed, with a very low level. So we ended up in a "regular" collège, + private classes in English (with 2 other bilingual girls). It is not perfect... but that way, our daughter practice her English on a regular basis and at high level...

If you want more details, info... join our Facebook page "expat in tours" you will be able to chat with many expats who are/have been in a similar situation.

Good luck and see you soon in Tours!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.