Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Is French food really the best in the world?

Is French food really the best in the world?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:37 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is French food really the best in the world?

What is your opinion on the best cuisine in Europe.Do you think French food is the best tasting food not to mention very healthy? Just how good is the wine compared to the other Wine producing nations?

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:37 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is French food really the best in the world?

Tough question! My answer is yes & no! The breads and pastries are out of this world. They've certainly got no real competition in the baguette baking stakes! But, the french have a very strange idea of how to hang and cut beef - especially steaks. I simply haven't had one in France -ever- that's as good as any I've tasted in the UK. They also don't cook them as I like them, therefore steaks are off the menu!
They eat lots of offal here too, which I just can't stand. It wasn't meant to be eaten, and is plain disgusting to smell, prepare, cook and serve! I'm not a fish or seafood lover either, so that's lost on me! Now, battered cod 'n' chips wrapped in newspaper.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Wherever you hail from in the world, your pallete and tastes will have been used to your own national and regional 'specialities' or even just food that you or your mum/wife/girlfriend cooks on a regular basis. I like my hot foods - curries and chilis, the french just don't understand them. Chinese food is popular here, which is good. So, expect to 'import' your own tastes and needs, food-wise. We hanker after the simple things like beans on toast (you can buy UK canned beans here but the're as expensive as caviar!) Sliced bread is sometimes on the wish-list when we have friends & family visiting. A baguette is great, but when you crave a cheese & onion sandwich, only Warburton's Toastie will do!

Wine - again, yes & no. The french are pretty insular and don't go in for big displays of 'world wines'. They honestly believe their wines are the best, and their industry has suffered because of their complacency. Yes, there are fantastic choices from around France, and we're lucky to live in such a respected wine-producing region ourselves - but, there are Chilean reds that will knock spots off a Saumur Champigny. There are even English wines that get favourable reports. Portugese rosé is hard to find, as are German hocks. The french just don't want us to drink them, you see?

Hope that helps?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:39 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say that the seasonal veg and fruit here just has to be tasted to be believed though.....absolutely worth moving to France for!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

But, the french have a very strange idea of how to hang and cut beef - especially steaks. I simply haven't had one in France -ever- that's as good as any I've tasted in the UK. They also don't cook them as I like them, therefore steaks are off the menu!

Funny you should say that....we sell our beef direct, in fact we have 2 animals coming back tomorrow and have 50 orders to pack No, seriously, it is (almost) fun. We insist the meat is hung for 21 days which makes a difference, although the society who transform the beef were a bit unsure when we first specified this .... We have T-Bones cut for us, which are going down a storm. We have a client list of 140 after just one year, we do commandes every 3 months or so,the society who take the animals and bring them back in nice little vac-packs are, I think, near you, at Doué-la-Fontaine.

It is so nice to teach the French how beef should be

Sue
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:41 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
But, the french have a very strange idea of how to hang and cut beef - especially steaks. I simply haven't had one in France -ever- that's as good as any I've tasted in the UK. They also don't cook them as I like them, therefore steaks are off the menu!

Funny you should say that....we sell our beef direct, in fact we have 2 animals coming back tomorrow and have 50 orders to pack No, seriously, it is (almost) fun. We insist the meat is hung for 21 days which makes a difference, although the society who transform the beef were a bit unsure when we first specified this .... We have T-Bones cut for us, which are going down a storm. We have a client list of 140 after just one year, we do commandes every 3 months or so,the society who take the animals and bring them back in nice little vac-packs are, I think, near you, at Doué-la-Fontaine.

It is so nice to teach the French how beef should be

Sue
I suppose as the English (or Brits) are known as les Rosbifs.....
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:44 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for Italian food as the best without doubt certainly better as a general rule than French food.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:54 pm

I'm no fan of pasta, but I'd certainly rate Italian food higher than French. especially pizza!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:11 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a Loaded question but being a qualified chef, Who trained at a posh place in London prior to joining the Army and Invading the World I would say the following:

The cooking of Meat is Better here.

Butchery skills are poorer, meat cuts produce some almost uneatable cuts. (Plus you can not trust the Super Markets for Quality and Age).

Fish outstanding although I have yet to find a Restaurant that cooks it to my liking (Overcooked)

Vegetables This is one area that France excels over the UK despite not being able to make the best chips with their potatoes. But Market purchased Veggies are better than supermarket ones as you can use seeds and grow things, Supermarket ones don't typically work as they still irradiate Veggies.

Bread Extremely overrated well here it is, As the typical loaf here needs a Kango to get in to it. Or dare I mention it a Chainsaw.

Presentation Skills better in the cities outside of them forget about it.

As a general I would say the industry here is now overrun with too many younger employees that don't really give a shit and would rather be getting something for nothing or stoned. That being said my views are built on what I see in Ariege which is a Polar Bears Arse Crack that is twined with Middle Earth.

Ariege lacks a Michelin Starred establishment or anywhere slightly deserving of one, I know what work is involved to gain and keep them. English food like the population is more diverse and open to change, French cuisine hides behind closed doors and does not move and improve with the surrounding population. Then again it could be that the population as a whole is the more stagnant issue. Personally the rustic charm has worn off after six years and I expect my salads to be washed as as well as my side plates being washed before I get to the Table.

Food for thought I doubt it even dare I say something untoward again McDonalds is better in the UK although the Quality here is better here than in the US of A which is were one would expect it to be at it's best.

It's about Kentucky Fried Chicken opened a franchise in France.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Nov 27th 2008 at 5:14 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:18 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
It's a Loaded question but being a qualified chef, Who trained at a posh place in London prior to joining the Army and Invading the World I would say the following:

The cooking of Meat is Better here.

Butchery skills are poorer, meat cuts produce some almost uneatable cuts. (Plus you can not trust the Super Markets for Quality and Age).

Fish outstanding although I have yet to find a Restaurant that cooks it to my liking (Overcooked)

Vegetables This is one area that France excels over the UK despite not being able to make the best chips with their potatoes. But Market purchased Veggies are better than supermarket ones as you can use seeds and grow things, Supermarket ones don't typically work as they still irradiate Veggies.

Bread Extremely overrated well here it is, As the typical loaf here needs a Kango to get in to it. Or dare I mention it a Chainsaw.

Presentation Skills better in the cities outside of them forget about it.

As a general I would say the industry here is now overrun with too many younger employees that don't really give a shit and would rather be getting something for nothing or stoned. That being said my views are built on what I see in Ariege which is a Polar Bears Arse Crack that is twined with Middle Earth.

Ariege lacks a Michelin Starred establishment or anywhere slightly deserving of one, I know what work is involved to gain and keep them. English food like the population is more diverse and open to change, French cuisine hides behind closed doors and does not move and improve with the surrounding population. Then again it could be that the population as a whole is the more stagnant issue. Personally the rustic charm has worn off after six years and I expect my salads to be washed as as well as my side plates being washed before I get to the Table.

Food for thought I doubt it even dare I say something untoward again McDonalds is better in the UK although the Quality here is better here than in the US of A which is were one would expect it to be at it's best.

It's about Kentucky Fried Chicken opened a franchise in France.
Well KFC here at least use decent chunks of chicken (2 of my kids have worked there)
Youngest was mightily pissed off in St Malo when his pizza margherita came garnished with a fried egg. Didn't worry me, i had the egg.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ewood
Well KFC here at least use decent chunks of chicken (2 of my kids have worked there)
Youngest was mightily pissed off in St Malo when his pizza margherita came garnished with a fried egg. Didn't worry me, i had the egg.
I like egg on my pizzas, what I dont like is my Pizza being folded in half before I get it.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a lettuce from Carrefour last week, complete with wriggly worm - they've got to be pretty fresh even when buying from the supermarkets; added protein too.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Egg on pizza?
Worst pizza I've ever had was in France - in Prades. It was late and I thought a major place like Prades would have some choice, but everywhere was closed bar this one terrible tourist trap. It had some sort of fluffy pastry base - disgusting! Everybody eating inside was speaking English, which meant the locals must avoid it like the plague.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:40 pm
Far Kynelle

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I bought a lettuce from Carrefour last week, complete with wriggly worm - they've got to be pretty fresh even when buying from the supermarkets; added protein too.
you mean you ate the worm. times must have been desperate
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:03 pm

KFC do have franchises in France - there's one by the airport at Tours!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Le Chant
KFC do have franchises in France - there's one by the airport at Tours!
I don't live near Tours so it's not in my France. But there is one in Andorra so it's not to much of an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.