Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French films well worth watching

French films well worth watching

Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French films well worth watching

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Talking about Jacques Brel, how about “les risques du metier”? And if you want something silly try “la soupe au choux “
Then you have all the movies that the US stole and pretended were their idea- Le retours de Martin Guerre ( Somersby), Les Visiteurs (Just visiting) for example...

My 4th 'spoiler' link above was in fact the f*rting sequence from the quirky film La soupe au choux.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Nov 14th 2017 at 2:45 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

My 4th 'spoiler' link above was in fact the f*rting sequence from the quirky film La soupe au choux.
Says “l’aile ou la cuisse”. Already wishing the week was over so maybe I’m missing something?

Edited to say d’euh I really need to pay more attention!!!!

But check out “les risques du metier”. Great movie.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Purple Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi y'all. my first post here.
When we arrived in France in the late 80s, there were still loads of French movies from the 60s to 80s on TV and we enjoyed all those from that era with Yves Montand, Sigmone Signoret, Alain Delon, Jean-Pierre Marivelle, Patrick Dewaere, Michel Bouquet, Michel Piccoli, Philippe Noiret, Michel Serrault, Jean Rochefort, Dépardieu, … so many terrific films.
They seem to be rarely aired nowadays (unless on a classics/legacy cable channel or something), if not we have a good library in town with many of them.
Apart from that, over the years we have enjoyed these (from memory):

Le Diner des Cons
Astérix et Cléopatre
Le Bossu
Diva
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources
Delicatessen
Les Amants du Pont Neuf
Damage
Amélie Poulain
les Visiteurs
Les Trois Frères
Léon
La Reine Margot
Three Colours trilogy
La Cité des Enfants Perdus
Ne le dit � personne

+ just about anything with Daniel Auteuil, anything by Claude Chabrol,...
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple Jim
Hi y'all. my first post here.
When we arrived in France in the late 80s, there were still loads of French movies from the 60s to 80s on TV and we enjoyed all those from that era with Yves Montand, Sigmone Signoret, Alain Delon, Jean-Pierre Marivelle, Patrick Dewaere, Michel Bouquet, Michel Piccoli, Philippe Noiret, Michel Serrault, Jean Rochefort, Dépardieu, … so many terrific films.
They seem to be rarely aired nowadays (unless on a classics/legacy cable channel or something), if not we have a good library in town with many of them.
Apart from that, over the years we have enjoyed these (from memory):

Le Diner des Cons
Astérix et Cléopatre
Le Bossu
Diva
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources
Delicatessen
Les Amants du Pont Neuf
Damage
Amélie Poulain
les Visiteurs
Les Trois Frères
Léon
La Reine Margot
Three Colours trilogy
La Cité des Enfants Perdus
Ne le dit � personne

+ just about anything with Daniel Auteuil, anything by Claude Chabrol,...
Welcome to the forum from me too!
Have also seen most of the films you mention, and must agree I'd forgotten about the last, Ne le dit a personne. A great film!
Another very memorable one being, Papillon noir with Eric Cantona. A brilliant French thriller!
Like Hitchcock, Chabrol is a great favourite with me too, but by his own admission some of the films were considered private jokes made to amuse himself, and the likes of Folies Bourgeoises - despite the appearance of his delightful wife Stephane Audran - was worse than very bad. I wouldn't be at all surprised if IMDb gave it a numerical rating into the negatives. Not to be recommended, and imho there are more. Difficult to understand that it came from the same director as Le Boucher (The Butcher) which is masterful.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw 'Le Sens de la Fete' last night. Comedy, revolving around a wedding planner and a grand wedding gone crazy. I liked the film very much - laughed through out. Also going by the title 'C'est La Vie' - not sure why?

Trailer du film Le Sens de la fête - Le Sens de la fête Bande-annonce VF - AlloCiné
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bhamham
Saw 'Le Sens de la Fete' last night. Comedy, revolving around a wedding planner and a grand wedding gone crazy. I liked the film very much - laughed through out. Also going by the title 'C'est La Vie' - not sure why?
Yes I noticed this was on at our local cinema, saw the trailer there, and decided it wasn't quite my scene (comedy-wise I'm not exactly on a high at the moment).
Yesterday my wife went to see 'M', alone - that not being quite my thing either. Comment afterwards, "it was average". Knowing that was certainly going to be the case, I went to see a mystery thriller 'A Beautiful Day' a.k.a. 'You were never really here'. In keeping with the thread topic, as it wasn't a French film, I'll say no more.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice

Try 'Floride' with the brilliant Jean Rochefort who sadly recently left us? This film may have been listed here but to be honest didn't read through all the recommendations.