Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French family book

French family book

Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

feza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French family book

I am married to French national in UK. I got uk marriage certificate.
I want to get livert da family. French family book.
What is the process? From london.
I am Pakistani national. With 5 year resident permit valid until 2020.
Thanks

Plz advise.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: French family book

Welcome to British Expats

I am sure someone will be along soon to help with this.

I did think you had to be married in France though to get this.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why you would need a livret de famille if you live in the UK?
No UK organisation is going to ask for this.
It's normally given to couples on their marriage in France. If you weren't married in France, don't live in France and haven't given birth to any children in France, I'm not actually sure you could get one.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 6:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I'm not sure why you would need a livret de famille if you live in the UK?
No UK organisation is going to ask for this.
It's normally given to couples on their marriage in France. If you weren't married in France, don't live in France and haven't given birth to any children in France, I'm not actually sure you could get one.
+1
The Mayor gives you the Livret de Famille at the end of the Civil Marriage ceremony in France. From experience, it's only when you enrol children at school here that you need it.
If you intend to come and live in France and have children, it might be worthwhile asking at the French Consulate in London, presuming your UK marriage was registered there.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, I'm not entirely sure you can get a livret de famille in your situation if you weren't married in France, although there is an option to get one on the birth of a child, under certain conditions.

The information is on the service-public.fr site, which for some reason I can't link. The site refers overseas citizens to the local consulate and/or the "Service central d'état civil - Ministère en charge des affaires étrangères", details of which can also be found on the service-public site.

I have a *very* vague recollection from many years ago that my local consulate wasn't terribly helpful about updating an existing Livret .

Basically, easiest: your spouse could/should register both your marriage & the child's birth with the consulate. That's all/more than what's needed as long as you aren't living in France.

Last edited by Shirtback; Dec 10th 2016 at 9:32 am.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link to the consulate in London:
Births, marriages and death - France in the United Kingdom - La France au Royaume-Uni

(Sorry for double posting - site won't let me re-edit above post .)
Old Dec 10th 2016, 11:52 am
Just Joined

I have a french daughter who was born in France.
How do I get french visa??
I don't want to apply as a tourist visa as there are more chances for them to refuse... I think.
I think it's better if I apply as a spouse and as a father of french child plz reply.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feza
I don't want to apply as a tourist visa as there are more chances for them to refuse... I think.
I think it's better if I apply as a spouse and as a father of french child plz reply.
Getting a visa - France-Diplomatie - Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development

Informations about visas - France in the United Kingdom - La France au Royaume-Uni

Do you & your spouse intend to move to France to live?

Last edited by Shirtback; Dec 10th 2016 at 12:11 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Noo.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feza
Sorry, I've just realised that you are the father, not the mother.
But I'm still confused.
Is the French national to whom you're married the mother of your child? If your daughter was born to her in France, her French Birth Certificate naming you as father will support your application for a Visa. Your French wife will know how to obtain a copy of the BC from the Mairie of the Commune where she was born, likewise a copy of the Livret de Famille which she/you must have obtained.
But, as you were originally asking about a Livret de Famille, it doesn't sound as though your present spouse is your daughter's mother, in which case her biological mother should be your first port of call to ask for the above documents, and secondly the French Consulate.
We can help to a certain extent, but, as British expats who live or have lived in France, very few of us, if any, have been in your situation and can only point you towards various official sources = the French Consulate.

Last edited by dmu; Dec 10th 2016 at 1:41 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 4:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You can only get a livret de famille if you married in France. You don't get it just because you had a child born there.

The Livret de famille is a way of providing information to the French authorities. Every bureaucrat in France (healthcare, going to school, getting benefits etc) asks for the Livret de Famille. You can make your own. I did - you just get all the information together in a folder and explain that since you were not married in France you don't have a "livret" but the information is here.
You will need:
Birth certificates for every family member.
Your marriage certificate
Photocopies of passports or national identity cards.

Why do you think you need the Livret de Famille? Maybe if you give us more information we can be more helpful
Old Dec 10th 2016, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Maybe if you give us more information we can be more helpful
+1
Your questions are confusing because it's not obvious why you need either a livret de famille or a visa if you're not intending to live in France. To visit France as a tourist, I think since you hold a UK residence permit you may not need any kind of visa at all to visit other EU states, but you would need to check that with the authorities because it may depend exactly what kind of residence permit you have. But if you do need a visa to vist France, certainly a tourist visa would be the right thing to apply for because you would be a tourist, and it would be easier to get than any other kind.
IF that's what you want...