Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Driving Licence

French Driving Licence

Old Dec 10th 2016, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Frenchie51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French Driving Licence

So after 7 months of visits and lots paperwork my Wife and I finally have our French driving licences. On my Wifes licence it has her maiden name, no mention of her married name, is this correct. We plan to spend feb touring South America and one reason for changing our old UK licences was to avoid any confusion if we hire a car. So will we still have difficulties if my Wifes passport only shows her married name and driving licence only maiden name. I guess she may have to carry a copy of her marriage licence with her.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 3:22 pm
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French Driving Licence

My wife's French licence has maiden name then epouse our married name, the French authority's always use the woman's maiden name.
Do what we have done and get an international driving licence didn't cost us anything back in 09 when we went down under for three months.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I spoke to someone in authority and they said the same thing,ie apply for an international licence, free and lasts for 3yrs. They said that as we now have our french licences the process should be easy.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchie51
So after 7 months of visits and lots paperwork my Wife and I finally have our French driving licences. On my Wifes licence it has her maiden name, no mention of her married name, is this correct. We plan to spend feb touring South America and one reason for changing our old UK licences was to avoid any confusion if we hire a car. So will we still have difficulties if my Wifes passport only shows her married name and driving licence only maiden name. I guess she may have to carry a copy of her marriage licence with her.
I think carrying a copy of the marriage licence may be a good idea, to avoid confusion when renting a vehicle if she intends to drive.
My French wife has several documents issued here with her maiden name first, followed by 'epouse <our surname>' The French seem to prefer it that way.
Incidentally, when work called me to S.America for some time, I did a great deal of driving in Brazil & Uruguay. A great adventure, but I had a number of near misses caused by crazy motorists. My most memorable drive was from Porto Alegre to Santa Maria, and across the border to visit the Iguazu Falls - featured in the 1986 film The Mission. Remarkable scenery! Looks a short drive on the map, but at first glance distances in Brazil are very deceiving.
At the time I used my French driving licence for car hire, as it had a photo and readily accepted as 'international'.

Just a thought.....although my wife's competent behind the wheel, no way would I have let her drive in either country for fear of an accident, and related complications with a rental car.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Dec 11th 2016 at 1:01 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Tweedpipe for the info. Iguazu Falls are on our must visit list, have also been told that fly fishing in Argentina is superb.