Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Children Don’t Throw Food

French Children Don’t Throw Food

Old Mar 19th 2012, 9:32 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Children Don’t Throw Food

isn't it the UK where the mothers stand around wringing their hands and say "I can't do anything with him/her" ?

I have noticed that even with the early teens in the UK that local Muslim children are much better behaved on the way home from school in the evening

discipline should start at home from very early years and be followed up by teachers with authority.
perhaps then there would be far fewer being banned from school and pregnant before 15.

but when kids are left £5 to go to the fish shop and get their dinner and have no parent home with them most evenings you reap what you sow.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Michie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there are good and not so good parent's whatever your nationality is. We should not put labels on people this will not help in the long run. French teachers are strict, I myself had problems with my son's teacher when he was 5yrs because he could not write in joined up lower case letters. I now take what ever they say with a pinch of salt, my son is now 10 and is very bright and top of his class and writes beautifully, we as parents know our children better than anyone. All I ask of mine is to be polite respect and share and to listen when they are being spoken to. Some people say I'm too strict, some say my children are very well brought up, maybe some would disagree, all I know I try my best and respect the opinions of others even if sometimes I would disagree.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
following that broadcast,I've read an aticle

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rance-children

I liked " In general, I never mind the differences. For example, if we have an anglophone child round to play, I will assume that the anglophone parent will stand over the child quite a lot and interact almost constantly with what they are doing; whereas a French parent will leave them to it unless someone is bleeding, or, more likely, slow the car only long enough to hurl the child in our general direction."
That French parent is me to a T
and "Helping with your child's schoolwork, too, is an odd concept to a French parent. Teachers here are highly trained, well-paid and still built to be scary. They are clear about the parent's place (silent, out of the way, grateful). Even if that were not the case, it is very difficult to complete your six-year-old's devoirs when his devoirs is writing out in words the numbers one to 100. Then back again in reverse"
That brings back memories! I don't really remember my parents helping me with homework...
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

One of the key reasons we moved here was for the parenting.

No one where we lived in the UK showed any interest in discipline with their children. Running around restaurants, hitting siblings, biting, taking food from a cafe food counter taking a bite and putting back, littering, talking over parents, getting down from the table while eating or not even getting to the table, And general bad behavior. I could go on.

These are all things we witnessed, A LOT, without a word from the parents. It's like the parents are too scared to discipline thier children in public. I don't mean hitting either, we don't agree with that, but let them know whats right and wrong.

And the schools in the UK, it's got to the point where the teachers have absolutely no rights at all. The children can just do what they want.

stoopid